Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python weather application

Python weather application

seancron

Does anybody have any suggestions for getting started on desigining a
desktop weather application in Python?

I've been looking for access to weather data and while I have found
several including the weather.com service I've decided to use the
Yahoo! Rss Weather feed since it doesn't have a license like the
weather.com service does. However one problem I have with it is that
it only accepts zip codes or locations ids. So if a user was to enter
the name of the city instead of those two there would be an error. I
could make it so they could only enter in the location code or zip
code but I would really prefer to have it be automatically corrected.
Does anyone have ideas on how to go about this or have an other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

Zentrader

On Aug 30, 12:45 pm, seancron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anybody have any suggestions for getting started on desigining a
> desktop weather application in Python?
>
> I've been looking for access to weather data and while I have found
> several including the weather.com service I've decided to use the
> Yahoo! Rss Weather feed since it doesn't have a license like the
> weather.com service does. However one problem I have with it is that
> it only accepts zip codes or locations ids. So if a user was to enter
> the name of the city instead of those two there would be an error. I
> could make it so they could only enter in the location code or zip
> code but I would really prefer to have it be automatically corrected.
> Does anyone have ideas on how to go about this or have an other
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean

Use a dictionary to convert from the city chosen to the zip/location
code to use at Yahoo.

dc

On Aug 30, 5:41 pm, Zentrader <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Aug 30, 12:45 pm, seancron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Does anybody have any suggestions for getting started on desigining a
> > desktop weather application in Python?

> > I've been looking for access to weather data and while I have found
> > several including the weather.com service I've decided to use the
> > Yahoo! Rss Weather feed since it doesn't have a license like the
> > weather.com service does. However one problem I have with it is that
> > it only accepts zip codes or locations ids. So if a user was to enter
> > the name of the city instead of those two there would be an error. I
> > could make it so they could only enter in the location code or zip
> > code but I would really prefer to have it be automatically corrected.
> > Does anyone have ideas on how to go about this or have an other
> > suggestions?

> > Thanks,
> > Sean

> Use a dictionary to convert from the city chosen to the zip/location
> code to use at Yahoo.

You can purchase/subscribe a zip code database and then use that as a
reverse look-up for your user entering a city. try the postal service
website for the database info.

Python weather application seancron Python 0 08-30-2007 07:45 PM
WEATHER PROGRAMMING IN PYTHON sandeep patil Python 2 05-31-2007 01:53 PM
1-Click Weather barbara smith Firefox 2 12-02-2005 09:20 PM
weather download wc Firefox 4 04-30-2005 05:31 PM
Python and Weather.com Fazer Python 4 08-18-2004 02:29 AM

Advertisments