Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't activate Wireless Zero Configuration service

Can't activate Wireless Zero Configuration service

Dudi

Hello,

I use XP SP2, D-Link W/L USB card: DWL-120 (902.11b).

All of a sudden, my PC stopped automatically connecting to my wireless
network on power on. The only way I can force this connection to be set is
by executing D-Link W/L utility.
When I am trying to activate the WZC service it is failed and I'm prompted
with an error message #1068. I referred to MS article ID: 871122 but looks
like that something disappeared in the Network connection. Following that
article, "....In Network Connections, click to select your wireless
connection, and then click Change settings of this connection. On the
Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my
wireless network settings check box."
I don't get this Wireless Networks tab option!!! How can I restore the WZC
automatic activation ???

Please advise
Dudi

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Did the card worked before?
The DWL-120 802.11b is an old card, some of the DWL-120 versions are not
even Win XP compatible.
I would try to uninstall the Utility and the card's driver, and reinstall
them again.
Or better of, given the low price of Wireless cards get a nice 802.11g card.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Dudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I use XP SP2, D-Link W/L USB card: DWL-120 (902.11b).
>
> All of a sudden, my PC stopped automatically connecting to my wireless
> network on power on. The only way I can force this connection to be set is
> by executing D-Link W/L utility.
> When I am trying to activate the WZC service it is failed and I'm prompted
> with an error message #1068. I referred to MS article ID: 871122 but looks
> like that something disappeared in the Network connection. Following that
> article, "....In Network Connections, click to select your wireless
> connection, and then click Change settings of this connection. On the
> Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to configure my
> wireless network settings check box."
> I don't get this Wireless Networks tab option!!! How can I restore the WZC
> automatic activation ???
>
> Please advise
> Dudi

Dudi

It works fine for the last three years. Please note that even now, I manage
to establish the W/L connection when I run the D-Link utility manually. The
problem is that the WZC service stopped somehow to function. Since the card
as well its drivers are all the same I believe that something went wrong
with the OS.

Dudi

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> ???
??????:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Did the card worked before?
> The DWL-120 802.11b is an old card, some of the DWL-120 versions are not
> even Win XP compatible.
> I would try to uninstall the Utility and the card's driver, and reinstall
> them again.
> Or better of, given the low price of Wireless cards get a nice 802.11g
> card.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Dudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use XP SP2, D-Link W/L USB card: DWL-120 (902.11b).
>>
>> All of a sudden, my PC stopped automatically connecting to my wireless
>> network on power on. The only way I can force this connection to be set
>> is by executing D-Link W/L utility.
>> When I am trying to activate the WZC service it is failed and I'm
>> prompted with an error message #1068. I referred to MS article ID: 871122
>> but looks like that something disappeared in the Network connection.
>> Following that article, "....In Network Connections, click to select your
>> wireless connection, and then click Change settings of this connection.
>> On the Wireless Networks tab, click to select the Use Windows to
>> configure my wireless network settings check box."
>> I don't get this Wireless Networks tab option!!! How can I restore the
>> WZC automatic activation ???
>>
>> Please advise
>> Dudi

Phillip Windell

"Dudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It works fine for the last three years. Please note that even now, I
> manage to establish the W/L connection when I run the D-Link utility
> manually. The problem is that the WZC service stopped somehow to function.
> Since the card as well its drivers are all the same I believe that
> something went wrong with the OS.

The DLink utility will take control away from WZC. You can not use
both,..only one can be in control,...the other will remain disabled.

I am not personally familar with DLink's tools, but there may be a place in
it to tell it to let WZC control the Wireless Nic which will cause the tool
to "get out of the way".

For example, my laptop has a "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility" that manages
the wireless networks. But if I want to use WZC then I have to go in the
"Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility" and uncheck the box that says "Let this
tool manage your wireless networks" which will cause the tool to "back off"
and let WZC manage the wireless networks.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

Ramesh R

Just to add more to this info: Some of the Wireless Card utilities,
when installed (interactively or forcefully) turn off the WZC in
windows services. Go to control panel ->administrative tools ->
services -> WZC & make sure that the service is enabled & set to
automatic start.

Cheers
/R

On Aug 31, 2:38 am, "Phillip Windell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Dudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > It works fine for the last three years. Please note that even now, I
> > manage to establish the W/L connection when I run the D-Link utility
> > manually. The problem is that the WZC service stopped somehow to function.
> > Since the card as well its drivers are all the same I believe that
> > something went wrong with the OS.

> The DLink utility will take control away from WZC. You can not use
> both,..only one can be in control,...the other will remain disabled.
>
> I am not personally familar with DLink's tools, but there may be a place in
> it to tell it to let WZC control the Wireless Nic which will cause the tool
> to "get out of the way".
>
> For example, my laptop has a "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility" that manages
> the wireless networks. But if I want to use WZC then I have to go in the
> "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility" and uncheck the box that says "Let this
> tool manage your wireless networks" which will cause the tool to "back off"
> and let WZC manage the wireless networks.
>
> --
> Phillip Windellwww.wandtv.com
>
> The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

Ramesh R" wrote:
> Just to add more to this info: Some of the Wireless Card utilities,
> when installed (interactively or forcefully) turn off the WZC in
> windows services. Go to control panel ->administrative tools ->
> services -> WZC & make sure that the service is enabled & set to
> automatic start.

Yes. This was the comon practice before Microsoft published the API that
allow disable WZC on a single adapter, thus avoiding killing the whole WZC
service.
( Also, during the beta, some vendors had to use undocumented hacks )

Regards,
--PA

Dudi

Let me describe in few words the D-Link Utility. The utility runs in two
modes: Full control and "Status" mode. The Full control mode is more
suitible to your comments below. As for "Status" mode it comes into effect
when WZC is enabled.
However, until few days ago, the utility ran in "Status" mode, showing
signal level, channel number, etc. (does not enable any setting). All of a
sudden, this mode was gone and now the utility runs in Full mode. As I
described in my first post, when I try to enable the WZC it prompts back
with error 1068. It happens also when the D-Link utility is off.

Dudi

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ramesh R" wrote:
>> Just to add more to this info: Some of the Wireless Card utilities,
>> when installed (interactively or forcefully) turn off the WZC in
>> windows services. Go to control panel ->administrative tools ->
>> services -> WZC & make sure that the service is enabled & set to
>> automatic start.

> Yes. This was the comon practice before Microsoft published the API that
> allow disable WZC on a single adapter, thus avoiding killing the whole
> WZC
> service.
> ( Also, during the beta, some vendors had to use undocumented hacks )
>
> Regards,
> --PA

Dudi

I also noticed that the WZC claims two dependencies - NDIS Usermode I/O
protocol and Remote Procedure Call (RPC). Since RPC is started I guess that
something got wrong with the NDIS service. I didn't locate the NDIS Usermode
service in the services list. Is there any way to see what and how NDIS is
functioning on my PC?

Dudi
"Dudi" <(E-Mail Removed)> כתב
בהודעה:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Let me describe in few words the D-Link Utility. The utility runs in two
> modes: Full control and "Status" mode. The Full control mode is more
> suitible to your comments below. As for "Status" mode it comes into effect
> when WZC is enabled.
> However, until few days ago, the utility ran in "Status" mode, showing
> signal level, channel number, etc. (does not enable any setting). All of a
> sudden, this mode was gone and now the utility runs in Full mode. As I
> described in my first post, when I try to enable the WZC it prompts back
> with error 1068. It happens also when the D-Link utility is off.
>
> Dudi
>
> "Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ramesh R" wrote:
>>> Just to add more to this info: Some of the Wireless Card utilities,
>>> when installed (interactively or forcefully) turn off the WZC in
>>> windows services. Go to control panel ->administrative tools ->
>>> services -> WZC & make sure that the service is enabled & set to
>>> automatic start.

>> Yes. This was the comon practice before Microsoft published the API that
>> allow disable WZC on a single adapter, thus avoiding killing the whole
>> WZC
>> service.
>> ( Also, during the beta, some vendors had to use undocumented hacks )
>>
>> Regards,
>> --PA

=?Utf-8?B?b25lNHRocmQ=?=

Yes it was most helpful ,even for a novice like me. Thanks ,to you guys. Wash
your car ..sure lol

"Steve M" wrote:

> Man, I fell into this "lost WZC" pit this afternoon. Banging my head for 3 hours. Ramesh R, Thank You! Thank You! You genius! If you were here in DC, I'd buy you dinner. Or wash your car. Anything...
>
> Whew...
>
> EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

=?Utf-8?B?ZHViYnN0YXIwNw==?=

pucca i have been playing about with this for months after my computer had to
be wiped cos of a virus when i got it back the wireless didnt work error
message wzc 871122 keeped coming up .after reading these messages i have
cracked it!. thanks to you guys cheers.P.S WZC=wireless zero
configuration(for those as thick as me lol)