Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to "view available wireless networks"

Unable to "view available wireless networks"

halfwaytoanywhere@gmail.com

Yesterday I did a clean re-install of XP Professional (due to numerous
viruses/malware I couldn't manually get rid of) and so today I need to
get reconnected to my wireless broadband connection. One problem: I
can't find "view available wireless networks" anywhere, and I have
looked everywhere. Nowhere in my internet options/network connections
is there ANY mention of wireless whatsoever. I'm currently using my
dad's Dell laptop, which is still working fine and I can right-click >
view available wireless networks on his taskbar, but for some reason
it has vanished from my PC. Wireless Zero configuration is set to
automatic. I am using a Draytek Vigor 2600W router, if that's any
help.

Another thing - we recently bought a BT Home Hub which is currently
still in its box. I'm considering trying to set that up instead to
solve the problem, but am still worried this might not work due to not
being able to find any wireless options on my PC.

Any advice? Should I try to sort out the current connection or just
try and install the BT Home Hub?

Phillip Windell

It sounds like the driver for the wireless nic is not installed yet after
you've reinstalled Windows. The Zero Config thing won't do anything if
Windows does not know that it has a wireless nic available.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Yesterday I did a clean re-install of XP Professional (due to numerous
> viruses/malware I couldn't manually get rid of) and so today I need to
> get reconnected to my wireless broadband connection. One problem: I
> can't find "view available wireless networks" anywhere, and I have
> looked everywhere. Nowhere in my internet options/network connections
> is there ANY mention of wireless whatsoever. I'm currently using my
> dad's Dell laptop, which is still working fine and I can right-click >
> view available wireless networks on his taskbar, but for some reason
> it has vanished from my PC. Wireless Zero configuration is set to
> automatic. I am using a Draytek Vigor 2600W router, if that's any
> help.
>
> Another thing - we recently bought a BT Home Hub which is currently
> still in its box. I'm considering trying to set that up instead to
> solve the problem, but am still worried this might not work due to not
> being able to find any wireless options on my PC.
>
> Any advice? Should I try to sort out the current connection or just
> try and install the BT Home Hub?

Dana

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Yesterday I did a clean re-install of XP Professional (due to numerous
> viruses/malware I couldn't manually get rid of) and so today I need to
> get reconnected to my wireless broadband connection. One problem: I
> can't find "view available wireless networks" anywhere, and I have
> looked everywhere. Nowhere in my internet options/network connections
> is there ANY mention of wireless whatsoever.

Sounds like you did not install the driver for the wireless nic.

I'm currently using my
> dad's Dell laptop, which is still working fine and I can right-click >
> view available wireless networks on his taskbar, but for some reason
> it has vanished from my PC. Wireless Zero configuration is set to
> automatic. I am using a Draytek Vigor 2600W router, if that's any
> help.
>
> Another thing - we recently bought a BT Home Hub which is currently
> still in its box. I'm considering trying to set that up instead to
> solve the problem, but am still worried this might not work due to not
> being able to find any wireless options on my PC.
>
> Any advice? Should I try to sort out the current connection or just
> try and install the BT Home Hub?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
It sounds like you Wireless core installation is not working at all.
May be this can Help to find what is wrong.
Jack (MVP-Networking).