Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Using 32bit and 64bit gcc

Reply
Thread Tools

Using 32bit and 64bit gcc

 
 
quitebizarre@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2007
Hi,
I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to install
the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a sensible
thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first before I try
to install the 64-bit version?

Anything else anyone can think of to make this a trouble-free
experience for me would be gratefully received.

As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to email
them to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), please?

Thanks,
Marlon

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
tim prince
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> ... I'd like to install
> the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. ...
> Anything else anyone can think of to make this a trouble-free
> experience for me would be gratefully received.

Looks more suitable for gcc-help mail list. Sign up at gcc.gnu.org.
>
> As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to email
> them to (E-Mail Removed), please?

All the more reason to start in a more topical place.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CBFalconer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
> compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to
> install the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a
> sensible thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first
> before I try to install the 64-bit version?
>
> Anything else anyone can think of to make this a trouble-free
> experience for me would be gratefully received.


gcc is up to 4.2.x version.

>
> As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to
> email them to (E-Mail Removed), please?


No. Too much trouble.

--
Chuck F (cbfalconer at maineline dot net)
Available for consulting/temporary embedded and systems.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
jacob navia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
> compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to install
> the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a sensible
> thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first before I try
> to install the 64-bit version?
>
> Anything else anyone can think of to make this a trouble-free
> experience for me would be gratefully received.
>
> As well as posting any replies here, could I also ask people to email
> them to (E-Mail Removed), please?
>
> Thanks,
> Marlon
>


Last time I compiled using gcc in Solaris I *think* there was a
-m64 or similar option within the same executable to generate
a 64 bit mode program. I think you do not have to switch
compilers but just add an option to the compiler flags.

Did you read the documentation?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Keith Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2007
(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> I've got a Solaris machine with 32-bit gcc installed. I need to
> compile some programmes with 64-bit Oracle 10g, so I'd like to install
> the 64-bit gcc 3.2.1, too. Does anyone know if this is a sensible
> thing to do, or should I remove the 32-bit version first before I try
> to install the 64-bit version?

[...]

Try comp.unix.solaris or gnu.gcc.help.

--
Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) (E-Mail Removed) <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
San Diego Supercomputer Center <*> <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
"We must do something. This is something. Therefore, we must do this."
-- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
after using 64bit IE7 my 32bit can't open windemon General Computer Support 0 02-04-2009 01:11 PM
Using printmig.exe to migrate printers from 32bit to 64bit W2K3 orba Windows 64bit 7 11-24-2008 05:11 AM
using 32bit glibc/libgcc on a 64bit machine Morfys C Programming 1 01-22-2008 03:00 PM
ISO problem: using 32bit WinXP, wanted to install 64bit Vista =?Utf-8?B?Tm9ybWFuIFdvbmc=?= Windows 64bit 3 06-18-2006 08:31 PM
difference between xp 32bit and 64bit???? William E. Storey II Computer Support 10 08-16-2003 08:49 AM



Advertisments