Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?

Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?

Philip Peters

Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?

Apparently the icon which is displayed in the Windows XP taskbar for any
running application is the first icon within the EXE file (icon 0) which is
stored inside the executable.

Based on my googling, this has never been asked before in the usenet
history so it's high time we started the definitive thread on changing the
windows taskbar icon for a running program.

Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

Matt Ion

Philip Peters wrote:
> Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?
>
> Apparently the icon which is displayed in the Windows XP taskbar for any
> running application is the first icon within the EXE file (icon 0) which is
> stored inside the executable.
>
> Based on my googling, this has never been asked before in the usenet
> history so it's high time we started the definitive thread on changing the
> windows taskbar icon for a running program.
>
> Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

You're trying to change the taskbar icon for IrfanView... why don't you
just email Irfan? I've found him very responsive and helpful.

Chris Luck

Matt Ion wrote:

> Philip Peters wrote:
> >
> > Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

> You're trying to change the taskbar icon for IrfanView... why don't
> you just email Irfan? I've found him very responsive and helpful.

He's trying to change an application icon to give the observer/user the
impression that some other app. is running and without them knowing
about the changes.

Why would he want/need to do that? I'm not convinced that it would be
prudent to assist in this endeavour.

--
Regards,
Chris Luck

Mike S.

In article <nRoBi.48109$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Philip Peters <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?
>
>Apparently the icon which is displayed in the Windows XP taskbar for any
>running application is the first icon within the EXE file (icon 0) which is
>stored inside the executable.
>
>Based on my googling, this has never been asked before in the usenet
>history so it's high time we started the definitive thread on changing the
>windows taskbar icon for a running program.
>
>Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

ResHacker and XN Resource Editor are both freeware resource editors, but I
don't have enough experience with thme to tell if they do exactly what you
want.

I don't have links handy but a Google search should instantly turn up
numerous download sources.

Nathan Webb

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:13:55 GMT, Philip Peters wrote:

> Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?
>
> Apparently the icon which is displayed in the Windows XP taskbar for any
> running application is the first icon within the EXE file (icon 0) which is
> stored inside the executable.
>
> Based on my googling, this has never been asked before in the usenet
> history so it's high time we started the definitive thread on changing the
> windows taskbar icon for a running program.
>
> Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

The idiots on this newsgroup don't know jack ****.

The answer is to use hidewin.

It's been out since 2002!

http://www.tawbaware.com/hidewin.htm

Nathan Webb

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:13:55 GMT, Philip Peters wrote:

> Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?
>
> Apparently the icon which is displayed in the Windows XP taskbar for any
> running application is the first icon within the EXE file (icon 0) which is
> stored inside the executable.
>
> Based on my googling, this has never been asked before in the usenet
> history so it's high time we started the definitive thread on changing the
> windows taskbar icon for a running program.
>
> Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

The idiots on this newsgroup don't know jack ****.

The answer is to use hidewin.

It's been out since 2002!

http://www.tawbaware.com/hidewin.htm

John Bean

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:34:44 -0700, Nathan Webb
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The idiots on this newsgroup don't know jack ****.

They know how to post without doing it twice though.
--
John Bean

Carl Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:29:53 +0100, John Bean wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:34:44 -0700, Nathan Webb
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>The idiots on this newsgroup don't know jack ****.

> They know how to post without doing it twice though.

Nice one John !!!

--
Neil

hummingbird

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:34:44 -0700 'Nathan Webb'
posted stuff on alt.comp.freeware:

>On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 01:13:55 GMT, Philip Peters wrote:
>
>> Is there a freeware windows resource editor to change icon0?
>>
>> Apparently the icon which is displayed in the Windows XP taskbar for any
>> running application is the first icon within the EXE file (icon 0) which is
>> stored inside the executable.
>>
>> Based on my googling, this has never been asked before in the usenet
>> history so it's high time we started the definitive thread on changing the
>> windows taskbar icon for a running program.
>>
>> Do you know of any free windows utility which manipulates icon[0]?

>The idiots on this newsgroup don't know jack ****.
>
>The answer is to use hidewin.
>
>It's been out since 2002!
>
>http://www.tawbaware.com/hidewin.htm

Yes it looks like that will also do the trick.
But it requires 'yet another program' (albeit small) to do it.
The method advised previously was to modify the .exe file to
change the icon which gets displayed in the taskbar when it's run.

Allen

John Bean wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 23:34:44 -0700, Nathan Webb
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The idiots on this newsgroup don't know jack ****.

> They know how to post without doing it twice though.

't be seeing further posts Try _five_ times and counting. although I
won't be seeing any more posts from him.
Allen