Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Signal Loss with WRT54G Router

Signal Loss with WRT54G Router

Donald Jones

When I boot up my laptop at approximately 30 Ft. away from my router, the
signal is at full strength. Within 2 minutes, I have to ask for a repair to
get the strength to come back to maximum. This happens ever minute or two.
Does anyone have a solution? I have changed channels to no avail.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Donald Jones wrote:
> When I boot up my laptop at approximately 30 Ft. away from my router, the
> signal is at full strength. Within 2 minutes, I have to ask for a repair to
> get the strength to come back to maximum. This happens ever minute or two.
> Does anyone have a solution? I have changed channels to no avail.

Turn off Wireless Zero Configuration.
http://paininthetech.com/2005/10/25/...in-windows-xp/
In case that link is busted:
http://tinyurl.com/28hssr

Meat Plow

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:03:23 -0400, Donald Jones wrote:

> When I boot up my laptop at approximately 30 Ft. away from my router, the
> signal is at full strength. Within 2 minutes, I have to ask for a repair to
> get the strength to come back to maximum. This happens ever minute or two.
> Does anyone have a solution? I have changed channels to no avail.

This happens sometimes when two wirless configuration utilities are
running on a PC. Windows XP has its own wireless config utility. And
usually when you install a wireless adapter in your PC, a second is loaded
with the driver. This was true for Linksys adapters and what I found was
you had to disable one config utility. This may or may not be your problem
but I thought i would mention it none the less.