Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate phone rings randomly

Sipgate phone rings randomly

Paul Clarke

The handset serving by my Sipgate line rings a couple of times now and
again - but there's no actual incoming call it seems, as nothing is recorded
under 'missed calls' on the website (the phone hasn't got caller display
unfortunately). What might be the reason for this random ringing? Using
Linksys ATA.

--
Paul Clarke

Jono

Paul Clarke laid this down on his screen :
> Using Linksys ATA.

which one?

<http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/spa3k-phantom-ringa-even-off-network->

<http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/odd-single-ring-spa3000-query-13889.html?>

Jono

It happens that Paul Clarke formulated :
> The handset serving by my Sipgate line rings a couple of times now and again
> - but there's no actual incoming call it seems, as nothing is recorded under
> 'missed calls' on the website (the phone hasn't got caller display
> unfortunately). What might be the reason for this random ringing? Using
> Linksys ATA.

Another thought occurs - if there's a voicemail waiting, the handset
will ring periodically to let you know

Ivor Jones

"Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
: : It happens that Paul Clarke formulated :
: : : The handset serving by my Sipgate line rings a
: : : couple of times now and again - but there's no actual
: : : incoming call it seems, as nothing is recorded under
: : : 'missed calls' on the website (the phone hasn't got
: : : caller display unfortunately). What might be the
: : : reason for this random ringing? Using Linksys ATA.
: :
: : Another thought occurs - if there's a voicemail
: : waiting, the handset will ring periodically to let you
: : know

If it's configured to do so. I turned it off on all mine, it drove me mad.
I have my voicemails sent as email attachments now.

Ivor

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Paul Clarke laid this down on his screen :
>> Using Linksys ATA.

> which one?
>
> <http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/spa3k-phantom-ringa-even-off-network->
> <http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/odd-single-ring-spa3000-query-13889.html?>

I've got several SPA-3000's. This problem happens when there's a line
reversal which doesn't follow through with a callerid and ring signal.
It is fixed by upgrading to a more recent firmware revision.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Desk Rabbit

Ivor Jones wrote:
> "Jono" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> : : It happens that Paul Clarke formulated :
> : : : The handset serving by my Sipgate line rings a
> : : : couple of times now and again - but there's no actual
> : : : incoming call it seems, as nothing is recorded under
> : : : 'missed calls' on the website (the phone hasn't got
> : : : caller display unfortunately). What might be the
> : : : reason for this random ringing? Using Linksys ATA.
> : :
> : : Another thought occurs - if there's a voicemail
> : : waiting, the handset will ring periodically to let you
> : : know
>
> If it's configured to do so. I turned it off on all mine, it drove me
> mad.

I always knew there had to be a rational explanation

Paul Clarke

"Andrew Gabriel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46d60261$0$640$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Paul Clarke laid this down on his screen :
>>> Using Linksys ATA.

>> which one?
>>
>> <http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/spa3k-phantom-ringa-even-off-network->
>> <http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/odd-single-ring-spa3000-query-13889.html?>

> I've got several SPA-3000's. This problem happens when there's a line
> reversal which doesn't follow through with a callerid and ring signal.
> It is fixed by upgrading to a more recent firmware revision.
>
> --
> Andrew Gabriel
> [email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]

Very many thanks - its the PAP2 I have which is presumably same as or
similar to the one referred to. I'll look for an upgrade.

Regards,

Paul

Andrew Gabriel

In article <fb7hi8$1uao$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Paul Clarke" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Andrew Gabriel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46d60261$0$640$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Jono <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> Paul Clarke laid this down on his screen :
>>>
>>> which one?
>>>
>>> <http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/spa3k-phantom-ringa-even-off-network->
>>> <http://forum.voxilla.com/linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/odd-single-ring-spa3000-query-13889.html?>

>> I've got several SPA-3000's. This problem happens when there's a line
>> reversal which doesn't follow through with a callerid and ring signal.
>> It is fixed by upgrading to a more recent firmware revision.

> Very many thanks - its the PAP2 I have which is presumably same as or
> similar to the one referred to. I'll look for an upgrade.

It can't be the same problem then, as I didn't think the
PAP2 had an exchange line phone port (although I haven't
got one).

--
Andrew Gabriel