Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bootable OS on flash drive.

Bootable OS on flash drive.

Alasdair

Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
drive. If so, how is it done please?

--
Alasdair.

Whiskers

On 2007-08-29, Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
> drive. If so, how is it done please?

Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
pre-installed
<http://www.mandriva.com/en/individuals/products/node_3482>. Or you can
do it yourself starting with something like "Puppy Linux"
<http://www.puppylinux.com/>. "Damn Small Linux", "Feather Linux",
"GentooTH Live CD/USB Linux", and "Knopperdisk", are also listed in
response to a search for USB Drive distros at <http://distrowatch.com/>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Mike Easter

Alasdair wrote:
> Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
> drive. If so, how is it done please?

Yes. A popular one is Puppy linux, which has been installed from flash
drives as small as 128 meg and has tutorials at its website telling how
to do it and different people's experience with various flash drives.
Puppy is a free 60 meg download and typically runs in your computer's
ram. Puppy also sells USB flash drives with puppy installed, but the
puppy site is currently undergoing a massive revision, so I'm having
trouble finding things like the link to the USB + puppy page.

--
Mike Easter

Vanguard

"Alasdair" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
> drive. If so, how is it done please?

Does the BIOS of every host to which you carry this USB flash drive
support booting from a USB device?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it possible to install a bootable operating system on a flash
>drive. If so, how is it done please?

To install an OS you need to be able to boot your USB pen drive
Google: SP27213.exe
download and format your device with that program

also google: (your OS) on USB
--
Suicide By Ballpoint Pen
http://tinyurl.com/3yfboo

Alasdair

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:09:53 +0100, Whiskers
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
>pre-installed

Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

--
Alasdair.

Ron Martell

Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:09:53 +0100, Whiskers
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
>>pre-installed

>Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 200
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."

Noxonomus

On 29 Aug 2007 Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

> No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

Actually you can
http://www.informationweek.com/share...tml?articleID=

Noxonomus

John Holmes

Ron Martell "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:09:53 +0100, Whiskers
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Yes: Linux. For example "Mandriva Flash" if you want to buy one
>>>pre-installed

>>Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

> No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

So you wouldn't call a CDR a removable device, eh? For your information:
with some hacks, it's possible to run XP from a live CD or even a USB
stick. (For the latter: if the BIOS allows booting from USB devices) It's
not supported by MS, but that's why you are some obscure MVP who doesn't
know **** about this exercise. Aside, even your webskills suck.

Get ****ed, Ron.

--
Your mother was a genitally-challenged bit-part actress who was so ugly
she had to be kept in closets.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Noxonomus <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 29 Aug 2007 Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Alasdair <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Is it only Linux you can do this with? What about Windows XP?

>> No. Windows XP does not support installs onto any removeable device.

>Actually you can
>http://www.informationweek.com/share...tml?articleID=
>177102101

Your link is shot, so is mine