Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird

Thunderbird

ghigley@ix.netcom.com

Tbird just stopped recieving Email. Message says it cannot write to
file. File was large (>1.5 GB) Didn't know about the compact thing.
Tranfered the contents of the two largest files to archive (new file
name) so it should be a lot smaller. Still didn't work.

Before I get really aggressive, I do not understand the part about
"pernission to write. . ." I am working from the administrator part
of WinXPpro, so I should have authority for everything. But maybe it
is talking about something else. Since Thunderbird has worked for
years, I am inclinded to think either the files got too big, or the
file is corrupted.

Anybody want to help me find the problem and fix it?

Does compact make the files go away? Want to archive all saved old
emails, not trash them. I move the ones I want into files with
appropriate classifications/names. How to archive w/o eating up file
space in Thunderbird?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

> Tbird just stopped recieving Email. Message says it cannot write to
> file. File was large (>1.5 GB) Didn't know about the compact thing.

when you delete a message, lets say from the inbox, the
message is remove from the inbox, but it still remains in
the file. The reason for this is a backup, just in case you
want to retrieve that message, there is a way. However,
this file can grow big at times. So, to get rid of this
excess, you compact the folders [under file]

> Tranfered the contents of the two largest files to archive (new file
> name) so it should be a lot smaller. Still didn't work.
>
> Before I get really aggressive, I do not understand the part about
> "pernission to write. . ." I am working from the administrator part
> of WinXPpro, so I should have authority for everything. But maybe it
> is talking about something else. Since Thunderbird has worked for
> years, I am inclinded to think either the files got too big, or the
> file is corrupted.
>
> Anybody want to help me find the problem and fix it?
>
> Does compact make the files go away? Want to archive all saved old
> emails, not trash them. I move the ones I want into files with
> appropriate classifications/names. How to archive w/o eating up file
> space in Thunderbird?

as for the can't write problem. Close TB, and delete the
*.msf files. Restart TB. Is the problem cleared up now?

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Mozmail vs. Thunderbird... Axl Firefox 5 08-19-2003 07:29 PM
Thunderbird Bryce Hardy Firefox 1 08-12-2003 03:19 PM
Linking Firebird / Thunderbird jimm67(nospam) Firefox 0 07-06-2003 01:46 PM

Advertisments