Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Anytime Upgrades from 32 to 64

Anytime Upgrades from 32 to 64

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

I am about to buy a shiny new UK Dell Dimension, quad core 4Mb ram etc. The
model I am interested in only comes with Vista 32 but I want to upgrade to
Ultimate 64bit. I have access to Microsofts Anytime upgrade disk but it only
covers 32bit upgrades.
What is the best way to upgrade. Do I ask Dell to supply Home Premium and
then buy a shrink wrapped version of Utlimate, the only version with both 32
& 64 bit versions on one disk? Or do I buy Dell's 32bit Ultimate and hope
that Microsoft will oblige with a replacement 64bit disk?
Many thanks
Peter

Mark

The 64 bit disk is only supplied with Vista Ultimate.
You can get the 64 bit disk for $7 from Microsoft.
(Not sure if there are international restrictions on this since only Canada
and US are listed in the billing options.)
https://na.windowsanytimeupgradestor.../Purchase.aspx
Just set the System option to 64-bit.

There's another route to buy an alternative media disk from MS for $10, but
the site escapes me at the moment.

A good review of this article is important:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/

Basic overview of Vista Premium x32 to Vista Anything x64.
1. Back up everything before you start.
2. Wipe the Vista x32 hard drive.
3. Install Win XP (activation not required.)
4. Change boot sequence to boot from DVD.
5. Boot from x64 DVD.
6. Use your Premium Product key to install the Premium version ov Vista x64.
7. Finish installation and updates.

Your done.
Of course, if it doesn't work the first time... try again without the
automatic updates turned on.
If you needed any special drivers for Vista x32, you'll probably need them
for Vista x64.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am about to buy a shiny new UK Dell Dimension, quad core 4Mb ram etc.
>The
> model I am interested in only comes with Vista 32 but I want to upgrade to
> Ultimate 64bit. I have access to Microsofts Anytime upgrade disk but it
> only
> covers 32bit upgrades.
> What is the best way to upgrade. Do I ask Dell to supply Home Premium and
> then buy a shrink wrapped version of Utlimate, the only version with both
> 32
> & 64 bit versions on one disk? Or do I buy Dell's 32bit Ultimate and hope
> that Microsoft will oblige with a replacement 64bit disk?
> Many thanks
> Peter

Charlie Russel - MVP

Unfortunately, Mark, OEM copies (such as that on the a Dell computer) do NOT
have 32->64 bit rights. Only retail has that.
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The 64 bit disk is only supplied with Vista Ultimate.
> You can get the 64 bit disk for $7 from Microsoft.
> (Not sure if there are international restrictions on this since only
> Canada and US are listed in the billing options.)
> https://na.windowsanytimeupgradestor.../Purchase.aspx
> Just set the System option to 64-bit.
>
> There's another route to buy an alternative media disk from MS for $10,
> but the site escapes me at the moment.
>
> A good review of this article is important:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/
>
> Basic overview of Vista Premium x32 to Vista Anything x64.
> 1. Back up everything before you start.
> 2. Wipe the Vista x32 hard drive.
> 3. Install Win XP (activation not required.)
> 4. Change boot sequence to boot from DVD.
> 5. Boot from x64 DVD.
> 6. Use your Premium Product key to install the Premium version ov Vista
> x64.
> 7. Finish installation and updates.
>
> Your done.
> Of course, if it doesn't work the first time... try again without the
> automatic updates turned on.
> If you needed any special drivers for Vista x32, you'll probably need them
> for Vista x64.
>

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am about to buy a shiny new UK Dell Dimension, quad core 4Mb ram etc.
>>The
>> model I am interested in only comes with Vista 32 but I want to upgrade
>> Ultimate 64bit. I have access to Microsofts Anytime upgrade disk but it
>> only
>> covers 32bit upgrades.
>> What is the best way to upgrade. Do I ask Dell to supply Home Premium
>> and
>> then buy a shrink wrapped version of Utlimate, the only version with both
>> 32
>> & 64 bit versions on one disk? Or do I buy Dell's 32bit Ultimate and
>> hope
>> that Microsoft will oblige with a replacement 64bit disk?
>> Many thanks
>> Peter

Charlie Russel - MVP

You can't do a direct anytime upgrade from 32->64, primarily because there
is no upgrade to 64. Any installation of 64-bit windows has to be a fresh,
clean install.

If your goal is 64-bit Ultimate, you can buy a retail copy with both
versions, or buy a 64-bit OEM copy (cheaper, but doesn't give you the option
to go to 32bit Ultimate if you find 64bit isn't a good fit.) If you plan on
buying a copy after buying the computer, buy it without an OS at all, or get
the 64-bit Ultimate directly from Dell if OEM is what you want to buy.

Before you do anything, however, make sure that Dell has all the 64-bit
Vista drivers you'll need for that computer.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am about to buy a shiny new UK Dell Dimension, quad core 4Mb ram etc.
>The
> model I am interested in only comes with Vista 32 but I want to upgrade to
> Ultimate 64bit. I have access to Microsofts Anytime upgrade disk but it
> only
> covers 32bit upgrades.
> What is the best way to upgrade. Do I ask Dell to supply Home Premium and
> then buy a shrink wrapped version of Utlimate, the only version with both
> 32
> & 64 bit versions on one disk? Or do I buy Dell's 32bit Ultimate and hope
> that Microsoft will oblige with a replacement 64bit disk?
> Many thanks
> Peter

XS11E

Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am about to buy a shiny new UK Dell Dimension, quad core 4Mb ram
> etc. The model I am interested in only comes with Vista 32 but I
> want to upgrade to Ultimate 64bit. I have access to Microsofts
> Anytime upgrade disk but it only covers 32bit upgrades.
> What is the best way to upgrade. Do I ask Dell to supply Home
> Premium and then buy a shrink wrapped version of Utlimate, the
> only version with both 32 & 64 bit versions on one disk? Or do I
> buy Dell's 32bit Ultimate and hope that Microsoft will oblige with
> a replacement 64bit disk? Many thanks

Start by calling Dell and asking them what's your best option, they may
have a very inexpensive solution or they may not but it can't hurt to
ask...

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Thanks for the correction.
I saw the comments on having access to an upgrade disc and lost the fact he
was buying it pre-installed.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Unfortunately, Mark, OEM copies (such as that on the a Dell computer) do NOT
> have 32->64 bit rights. Only retail has that.
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The 64 bit disk is only supplied with Vista Ultimate.
> > You can get the 64 bit disk for $7 from Microsoft.
> > (Not sure if there are international restrictions on this since only
> > Canada and US are listed in the billing options.)
> > https://na.windowsanytimeupgradestor.../Purchase.aspx
> > Just set the System option to 64-bit.
> >
> > There's another route to buy an alternative media disk from MS for $10,
> > but the site escapes me at the moment.
> >
> > A good review of this article is important:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/
> >
> > Basic overview of Vista Premium x32 to Vista Anything x64.
> > 1. Back up everything before you start.
> > 2. Wipe the Vista x32 hard drive.
> > 3. Install Win XP (activation not required.)
> > 4. Change boot sequence to boot from DVD.
> > 5. Boot from x64 DVD.
> > 6. Use your Premium Product key to install the Premium version ov Vista
> > x64.
> > 7. Finish installation and updates.
> >
> > Your done.
> > Of course, if it doesn't work the first time... try again without the
> > automatic updates turned on.
> > If you needed any special drivers for Vista x32, you'll probably need them
> > for Vista x64.
> >

> > "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I am about to buy a shiny new UK Dell Dimension, quad core 4Mb ram etc.
> >>The
> >> model I am interested in only comes with Vista 32 but I want to upgrade
> >> Ultimate 64bit. I have access to Microsofts Anytime upgrade disk but it
> >> only
> >> covers 32bit upgrades.
> >> What is the best way to upgrade. Do I ask Dell to supply Home Premium
> >> and
> >> then buy a shrink wrapped version of Utlimate, the only version with both
> >> 32
> >> & 64 bit versions on one disk? Or do I buy Dell's 32bit Ultimate and
> >> hope
> >> that Microsoft will oblige with a replacement 64bit disk?
> >> Many thanks
> >> Peter

Charlie Russel - MVP

No problem. It's come up more than once, and is a compelling argument
against OEM versions, IMHO.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the correction.
> I saw the comments on having access to an upgrade disc and lost the fact
> he
> was buying it pre-installed.
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, Mark, OEM copies (such as that on the a Dell computer) do
>> NOT
>> have 32->64 bit rights. Only retail has that.
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > The 64 bit disk is only supplied with Vista Ultimate.
>> > You can get the 64 bit disk for $7 from Microsoft.
>> > (Not sure if there are international restrictions on this since only
>> > Canada and US are listed in the billing options.)
>> > https://na.windowsanytimeupgradestor.../Purchase.aspx
>> > Just set the System option to 64-bit.
>> >
>> > There's another route to buy an alternative media disk from MS for $10,
>> > but the site escapes me at the moment.
>> >
>> > A good review of this article is important:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/
>> >
>> > Basic overview of Vista Premium x32 to Vista Anything x64.
>> > 1. Back up everything before you start.
>> > 2. Wipe the Vista x32 hard drive.
>> > 3. Install Win XP (activation not required.)
>> > 4. Change boot sequence to boot from DVD.
>> > 5. Boot from x64 DVD.
>> > 6. Use your Premium Product key to install the Premium version ov Vista
>> > x64.
>> > 7. Finish installation and updates.
>> >
>> > Your done.
>> > Of course, if it doesn't work the first time... try again without the
>> > automatic updates turned on.
>> > If you needed any special drivers for Vista x32, you'll probably need
>> > them
>> > for Vista x64.
>> >

>> > "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

R. C. White

Hi, Peter.

Just to correct one wrong interpretation in your post...

> then buy a shrink wrapped version of Utlimate, the only version with both
> 32
> & 64 bit versions on one disk?

No. The Retail version of Ultimate comes with two disks - one is 32-bit,
the other is 64-bit - and only one Product Key. You choose which disk to
put into your drive, then use that one PK to Activate the one you chose.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX