Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Disk Problem

Hard Disk Problem

sachin.gangz@gmail.com

system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.

What could be the problem?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
> as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
> boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.
>
> What could be the problem?

It could be dead.

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
> as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
> boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.
>
> What could be the problem?

Yes...the drive could be dead.

Try jumpering it as master then put it on the 2nd IDE channel with no other
devices
and see what happens

ded

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
> as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
> boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.
>
> What could be the problem?

Very little info you supply, but it could have biten the dust,
but in such instances something would display on screen to
that effect (Get past POST? HDD not found? etc).
Did you enter BIOS and see if there is a listing to the effect that
Master on primary IDE is not found, Or words to similar effect?
if installed on a second PC as slave, are you saying the second
PC refused to boot? As slave it should have no effect -dead or alive.

Jerry G.

You got 4 choices, and any one solution:

1) Either the jumpers are not properly set.

2) One of the connectors to the drive being defective can be ruled out,
since you say you tried it in another computer.

3) The drive is dead!

4) If item 3 is true, then it is time to dispose of the drive and
replace it.

If solution 1 exists, the drive should work when the jumpers are
corrected.

--

Jerry G.

On Aug 29, 11:45 am, "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You got 4 choices, and any one solution:
>
> 1) Either the jumpers are not properly set.
>
> 2) One of the connectors to the drive being defective can be ruled out,
> since you say you tried it in another computer.
>
> 3) The drive is dead!
>
> 4) If item 3 is true, then it is time to dispose of the drive and
> replace it.
>
> If solution 1 exists, the drive should work when the jumpers are
> corrected.
>
> --
>
> Jerry G.
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
> as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
> boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.
>
> What could be the problem?

The system does not start at all when this hard disk is plugged.
Booting up is a long way away from this!!!. As soon as you turn on the
"power" the fan spins and stops. Thats all it does

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
> as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
> boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.
>
> What could be the problem?

Can the bios see and/or detect the HDD?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Aug 29, 11:45 am, "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> You got 4 choices, and any one solution:
>>
>> 1) Either the jumpers are not properly set.
>>
>> 2) One of the connectors to the drive being defective can be ruled out,
>> since you say you tried it in another computer.
>>
>> 3) The drive is dead!
>>
>> 4) If item 3 is true, then it is time to dispose of the drive and
>> replace it.
>>
>> If solution 1 exists, the drive should work when the jumpers are
>> corrected.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jerry G.
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
>> as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
>> boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.
>>
>> What could be the problem?

> The system does not start at all when this hard disk is plugged.
> Booting up is a long way away from this!!!. As soon as you turn on the
> "power" the fan spins and stops. Thats all it does

Time to toss it, unless you want to spend big dollars on data recovery.

sachin.gangz@gmail.com

On Aug 29, 5:19 pm, Plato <|@|.|> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
> > as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
> > boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.

> > What could be the problem?

> Can the bios see and/or detect the HDD?
>
> --http://www.bootdisk.com/

cant even get to BIOS. as I said when this disk is plugged in the PC
does not switch on. The fan just spins and stops and a rec light
blinks on PC

sachin.gangz@gmail.com

On Aug 29, 6:19 pm, Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Aug 29, 11:45 am, "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> You got 4 choices, and any one solution:

> >> 1) Either the jumpers are not properly set.

> >> 2) One of the connectors to the drive being defective can be ruled out,
> >> since you say you tried it in another computer.

> >> 3) The drive is dead!

> >> 4) If item 3 is true, then it is time to dispose of the drive and
> >> replace it.

> >> If solution 1 exists, the drive should work when the jumpers are
> >> corrected.

> >> --

> >> Jerry G.

> >> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
> >> system does not boot with this particular hard disk. tried to put it
> >> as slave in another machine but then again the maother machine did not
> >> boot up. Red light in PC keeps blinking.

> >> What could be the problem?

> > The system does not start at all when this hard disk is plugged.
> > Booting up is a long way away from this!!!. As soon as you turn on the
> > "power" the fan spins and stops. Thats all it does

> Time to toss it, unless you want to spend big dollars on data recovery.

Yeah thats the most likely thinkg but I need to recover data for the
user