Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > plot

Umesh

I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
y=sin(x) ?

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Umesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
>y=sin(x) ?

Sorry, graphics.h is not part of the C programming language.

There are a number of completely different graphics.h around.
You need to consult a reference suitable for your implementation.

Poking around a moment, I see an old example that might still
be of value for you. Or maybe not, considering all the different
graphics.h around.

http://www.mycplus.com/Programming-N....asp?NewsID=33

--
Prototypes are supertypes of their clones. -- maplesoft

Malcolm McLean

"Umesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
> y=sin(x) ?

It's a platform-specific header.

I've no idea how it works, but presumably you will need to intialise a
graphics display. Then there will almost certainly be a function called
something like plotxy(). It may take floats but will probably take integers.

Your x axis will go from -PI to + PI, whilst your y axis will go from -1 to
+1. However to really see the shape of the function, keep the scales the
same, that's why we measure angles in radians.

So all you need to do is maintain a double x, and take pixel steps from -PI
to +PI. Call sin() to get y. Then convert from the mathematical coordinates
to the pixel coordinates, making x = 0, y = 0 the centre pixel of the
display, and call the plot function.

--
Free games and programming goodies.
http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

Joe Wright

Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Umesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
>> y=sin(x) ?

> Sorry, graphics.h is not part of the C programming language.
>
> There are a number of completely different graphics.h around.
> You need to consult a reference suitable for your implementation.
>

> Poking around a moment, I see an old example that might still
> be of value for you. Or maybe not, considering all the different
> graphics.h around.
>
> http://www.mycplus.com/Programming-N....asp?NewsID=33

I'm sure you are trying to be helpful but any random graphics.h header
is likely to be utterly useless. A given header might have a function
prototype. The actual function must be in a library linked as we build
the executable. The header and the library are married.

If your implementation doesn't have a conio.h header for example,
copying one from Borland or other system may not give you getch() or
clrscr() or whatever. The functions are in the library, not the header.

--
Joe Wright
--- Albert Einstein ---

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Joe Wright <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Walter Roberson wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> Umesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
>>> y=sin(x) ?

>> Poking around a moment, I see an old example that might still
>> be of value for you. Or maybe not, considering all the different
>> graphics.h around.

>> http://www.mycplus.com/Programming-N....asp?NewsID=33

>I'm sure you are trying to be helpful but any random graphics.h header
>is likely to be utterly useless. A given header might have a function
>prototype. The actual function must be in a library linked as we build
>the executable. The header and the library are married.

I did not suggest that Umesh copy a graphics.h file from somewhere.

The article referenced shows an actual example of graphics
functions in use in Windows, -likely- based upon the old Borland
graphics library. The Borland graphics library is the one that
came up most often for graphics.h and several more modern implementation
libraries I found in my poking appear to deliberately retain
compatability with the Borland facilities. And we've encountered
Umesh often enough to know he is using Windows of some kind.

Notice that my wording was that it was "an old example", rather
than any kind of wording suggesting that I was pointing to a
copy of graphics.h or pointing to an implementation library.
"example" -- something to be examined and studied for learning
purposes.

user923005

On Aug 28, 1:20 pm, Umesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
> y=sin(x) ?

In the C language (all by itself) you can plot a character based
graph.

If you want to make pretty pictures, you will need to use a graphical
extension to the language.

PHIGS is one standards based extension.
XWindows is another.
GKS is another.
CGM is another.

Or you can use something like OpenGL or DirectX, which are proprietary
but well accepted.

user923005

On Aug 28, 1:20 pm, Umesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
> y=sin(x) ?

If you are interested in drawing pictures, you might try
Of course, you will read their FAQ before posting.

Kenneth Brody

Malcolm McLean wrote:

> "Umesh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > I've not used graphics.h before. How can I plot a function say
> > y=sin(x) ?
> >

> It's a platform-specific header.
>
> I've no idea how it works, but presumably you will need to intialise a
> graphics display. Then there will almost certainly be a function called
> something like plotxy(). It may take floats but will probably take integers.

[...]

Not necessarily, although that's probably what the OP wants.

Way (way, way!) back, I would plot things like that by placing
the X axis down the page, and draw the X axis with "|" and place
a "*" along the Y axis, using spaces to place the characters as
needed.

--------*--------
| *
| *
| *
| *
| *
| *
*
* |
* |
* |
* |
* |
* |
*

Pure text, and easily done in pure ANSI C. (Although it does
depend on a monospaced output device.)

Don't e-mail me at: <(E-Mail Removed)>