Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode

AP mode vs. WDS with AP mode

Mike Webb

D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to use
in
order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in using
VLAN's.

Any advice/comments?
--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Using Additional APs connected to the main Router with cables is more
flexible and provides better Wireless.
If cable is Not a viable solution and you Must use WDS, you would have
restricted capacities and lower bandwidth (that the way it is WDS, ergo more
restrictions).
It is possible (but expensive) to create a better WDS of sort that allows
more flexibility.
Use an AP in client mode, and connected it with a short cable to a second AP
that sits next to it configured as a regular Access Point. The first AP
receives the signal and transfer it with the wire to the second AP that
would transmit it further.
By doing so you create with the two APs your own Repeater with two Radios.
Having two Radios and two independent units instead of one unit that
Flip-Flops, can provide more flexibility in configuring the Wireless
Network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to
> use in
> order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
> with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
> mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in using
> VLAN's.
>
> Any advice/comments?
> --
> Mike Webb
> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

Mike Webb

I appreciate the feedback, but have some follow-up questions.

I have my primary AP connected to the switch (a D-Link managed switch that
can do VLAN's), which is part of the domain. My router has an IP outside
the domain (2-NIC server). How would I still do VLAN's with the router? And
to you agree with D-Link that their AP set in AP mode (only has 3 -- AP, WDS
with AP, and WDS), MUST be wired to a client PC?

Mike

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Using Additional APs connected to the main Router with cables is more
> flexible and provides better Wireless.
> If cable is Not a viable solution and you Must use WDS, you would have
> restricted capacities and lower bandwidth (that the way it is WDS, ergo
> more restrictions).
> It is possible (but expensive) to create a better WDS of sort that allows
> more flexibility.
> Use an AP in client mode, and connected it with a short cable to a second
> AP that sits next to it configured as a regular Access Point. The first
> AP receives the signal and transfer it with the wire to the second AP that
> would transmit it further.
> By doing so you create with the two APs your own Repeater with two Radios.
> Having two Radios and two independent units instead of one unit that
> Flip-Flops, can provide more flexibility in configuring the Wireless
> Network.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to
>> use in
>> order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
>> with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
>> mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in
>> using
>> VLAN's.
>>
>> Any advice/comments?
>> --
>> Mike Webb
>> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
>> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

I can not answer you about the VLAN issue it depends on too many variable
that are unknown to me.
An Access Point configured as an Access Point needs a Cable, that the way
APs work.
The only mode that an Access Point doesn't not need a cable plugged into is
Repeater/WDS.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Mike Webb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> D-Link Tech Support just told me that if I use AP mode (which I need to
> use in
> order to use Multi-SSIDs for VLAN support), then the AP must be connected
> with ethernet to the client. He advised setting all AP's in WDS with AP
> mode. Might solve my connection problems, but defeats my purpose in using
> VLAN's.
>
> Any advice/comments?
> --
> Mike Webb
> Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
> a 501 (c)(3) conservation non-profit organization

Mike Webb

OK
news:(E-Mail Removed)...