Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > problems with connections to Small Business Server using D-Link

problems with connections to Small Business Server using D-Link

Mike Webb

Running SBS 2003 Premium SP2, ISA 2004, WSUS, 2 NIC's and a router, static
IP. AP's are D-Link DWL-2200AP's with current firmware. Switch is DES-3828.
All AP's are set with 2 SSID's - one for guests and one for access to the
LAN. DHCP comes from the server. LAN SSID is protected with WPA-Personal.
Primary AP is connected to Port 5 on the switch. Internal NIC is on Port 2,
all other ports are wired LAN. Setup 3 VLAN's - System, LAN and Guests. Port
2 is a tagged member of each. Port 5 is a tagged member of each.
===================
Problem: I have setup all AP's in our conference room with connection to the
LAN from primary AP. Am testing connections using 2 notebooks - a DELL
running WinXP SP2 and an HP running VISTA Home Premium. I am testing the
primary AP ("Main Building" and "Guest - Main Building"). With WinXP, I can
get an IP on both SSID's, but cannot connect to the internet on the LAN
SSID - I get an error, "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you
on to the network Main Building." However, when I use the DELL Wireless
Assistant, I am able to get right in, get connected and have my browser
configured for the proxy server. Why does it work for the DELL app but not
the Windows app?
As for VISTA, I get an IP for each, but I'm prompted for a login and
passwrod to access the proxy server on the Guest SSID, and have to manually
configure the browser connection to point to the proxy on the LAN SSID and
then all is well. I am assuming the little problems with VISTA are because
it's a HOME edition?

Many thanks in advance!
--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Mike Webb

Addional info/problem: I set the primary AP in "WDS with AP" mode and added
the MAC's of the other 5 AP's to its MAC table. All set on the same
channel, but all have different SSID's (each identifies the building they
cover). When I try to connect to these AP's, I get dropped and my VISTA
client has event ID 6100, association status: 0x00038002 and reason code:
0x00000002. Quite cryptic; I searched MS - no luck. Googled it, no real
luck and only margianal help at eventid.net. The plain-language resaon I
see is "Windows did not receive any response from the wireless router or
access point."
Odd ... I can see them fine as an available network, signal strength is
Excellent, so it must be my setup. REally don't know where I went wrong.

Mike

news:(E-Mail Removed)...