Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Burning more video files to a DVD with files already on it.

Burning more video files to a DVD with files already on it.

ftran999

I use a video capture card to record TV programs to my hard drive. After
editing out the commercials my goal is to burn these shows onto DVD. FWIW,
I'm using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 (henceforth UDMF2) to burn the DVDs with
a Sony DRU-510A as my burner. My idea was to burn the shows one or a few at
a time onto the DVD until full. I burned the first show onto the DVD with
no problem. I'm 99.9999999% sure I had chosen "do not close the DVD" in the
options of the UDMF2. I assumed this meant that more files could be added
later on as long as there was enough space. Also I should point out that I
am using DVD-R disks. Now I do know that DVD +/-R disks mean that once a
file is burned to it, it can not be deleted or overwriten as is the case
with -rw disks. However, I'm assuming that additional files could be added.
When I tried to add subsequent shows to the same DVD, UDMF2 will go through
the process of converting the video file(s), etc. When it comes time for
the actual burning part, a message will pop us saying something like "there
is no disk in the drive or the disk is not empty, please insert a new disk."
Another interesting thing is that under Windows explorer, with the one file
on the disk it shows it as having a total space of 1.8 GB with 0 free space
even though the disk is capable of holding 4.7 GB.
So my question is, is there a way of burning multiple files to a DVD a few
at a time, or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned and wait until
I've accumulated enough files to fill the DVD at one time.

Thanks

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

ftran999 wrote:
> I use a video capture card to record TV programs to my hard drive. After
> editing out the commercials my goal is to burn these shows onto DVD. FWIW,
> I'm using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 (henceforth UDMF2) to burn the DVDs with
> a Sony DRU-510A as my burner. My idea was to burn the shows one or a few at
> a time onto the DVD until full. I burned the first show onto the DVD with
> no problem. I'm 99.9999999% sure I had chosen "do not close the DVD" in the
> options of the UDMF2. I assumed this meant that more files could be added
> later on as long as there was enough space. Also I should point out that I
> am using DVD-R disks. Now I do know that DVD +/-R disks mean that once a
> file is burned to it, it can not be deleted or overwriten as is the case
> with -rw disks. However, I'm assuming that additional files could be added.
> When I tried to add subsequent shows to the same DVD, UDMF2 will go through
> the process of converting the video file(s), etc. When it comes time for
> the actual burning part, a message will pop us saying something like "there
> is no disk in the drive or the disk is not empty, please insert a new disk."
> Another interesting thing is that under Windows explorer, with the one file
> on the disk it shows it as having a total space of 1.8 GB with 0 free space
> even though the disk is capable of holding 4.7 GB.
> So my question is, is there a way of burning multiple files to a DVD a few
> at a time, or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned and wait until
> I've accumulated enough files to fill the DVD at one time.

Do you know how cheap the blank DVDs are if you buy in spindles of 100?
How much effort will you put into saving 27?

ftran999

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ftran999 wrote:
>> I use a video capture card to record TV programs to my hard drive. After
>> editing out the commercials my goal is to burn these shows onto DVD.
>> FWIW, I'm using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 (henceforth UDMF2) to burn the
>> DVDs with a Sony DRU-510A as my burner. My idea was to burn the shows
>> one or a few at a time onto the DVD until full. I burned the first show
>> onto the DVD with no problem. I'm 99.9999999% sure I had chosen "do not
>> close the DVD" in the options of the UDMF2. I assumed this meant that
>> more files could be added later on as long as there was enough space.
>> Also I should point out that I am using DVD-R disks. Now I do know that
>> DVD +/-R disks mean that once a file is burned to it, it can not be
>> deleted or overwriten as is the case with -rw disks. However, I'm
>> assuming that additional files could be added. When I tried to add
>> subsequent shows to the same DVD, UDMF2 will go through the process of
>> converting the video file(s), etc. When it comes time for the actual
>> burning part, a message will pop us saying something like "there is no
>> disk in the drive or the disk is not empty, please insert a new disk."
>> Another interesting thing is that under Windows explorer, with the one
>> file on the disk it shows it as having a total space of 1.8 GB with 0
>> free space even though the disk is capable of holding 4.7 GB.
>> So my question is, is there a way of burning multiple files to a DVD a
>> few at a time, or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned and
>> wait until I've accumulated enough files to fill the DVD at one time.

> Do you know how cheap the blank DVDs are if you buy in spindles of 100?
> How much effort will you put into saving 27?

Correct. I do realize that blank DVDs are very cheap and I am not concerned
with "wasting" the DVD I was refering to. However, despite how cheap DVDs
may be, I still would like to fit as many files as possible on it for the
sake of convience.

ded

"ftran999" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..

snip
> So my question is, is there a way of burning multiple files to a DVD a few
> at a time, or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned and wait
> until I've accumulated enough files to fill the DVD at one time.
>
> Thanks

The term is multisession, but because of menu structure, can only be used
when authoring data DVD's, you cannot use multisession with DVD-Video.

Meat Plow

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:46:28 -0400, ftran999 wrote:

> I use a video capture card to record TV programs to my hard drive. After
> editing out the commercials my goal is to burn these shows onto DVD. FWIW,
> I'm using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 (henceforth UDMF2) to burn the DVDs with
> a Sony DRU-510A as my burner. My idea was to burn the shows one or a few at
> a time onto the DVD until full. I burned the first show onto the DVD with
> no problem. I'm 99.9999999% sure I had chosen "do not close the DVD" in the
> options of the UDMF2. I assumed this meant that more files could be added
> later on as long as there was enough space. Also I should point out that I
> am using DVD-R disks. Now I do know that DVD +/-R disks mean that once a
> file is burned to it, it can not be deleted or overwriten as is the case
> with -rw disks. However, I'm assuming that additional files could be added.
> When I tried to add subsequent shows to the same DVD, UDMF2 will go through
> the process of converting the video file(s), etc. When it comes time for
> the actual burning part, a message will pop us saying something like "there
> is no disk in the drive or the disk is not empty, please insert a new disk."
> Another interesting thing is that under Windows explorer, with the one file
> on the disk it shows it as having a total space of 1.8 GB with 0 free space
> even though the disk is capable of holding 4.7 GB.
> So my question is, is there a way of burning multiple files to a DVD a few
> at a time, or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned and wait until
> I've accumulated enough files to fill the DVD at one time.

http://www.videohelp.com/

Never tried multi-session recording on a +- DVD but seeing as you have and
it has failed I will assume that it's not possible. I will also assume
that closing a DVD makes it compatible on most stand alone players and
that leaving it unclosed does not mean that additional data can be added.
Read the link i supplied, join up and ask your question.

ftran999

"ftran999" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I use a video capture card to record TV programs to my hard drive. After
>editing out the commercials my goal is to burn these shows onto DVD. FWIW,
>I'm using Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 (henceforth UDMF2) to burn the DVDs
>with a Sony DRU-510A as my burner. My idea was to burn the shows one or a
>few at a time onto the DVD until full. I burned the first show onto the
>DVD with no problem. I'm 99.9999999% sure I had chosen "do not close the
>DVD" in the options of the UDMF2. I assumed this meant that more files
>could be added later on as long as there was enough space. Also I should
>point out that I am using DVD-R disks. Now I do know that DVD +/-R disks
>mean that once a file is burned to it, it can not be deleted or overwriten
>as is the case with -rw disks. However, I'm assuming that additional files
>could be added. When I tried to add subsequent shows to the same DVD, UDMF2
>will go through the process of converting the video file(s), etc. When it
>comes time for the actual burning part, a message will pop us saying
>something like "there is no disk in the drive or the disk is not empty,
>please insert a new disk."
> Another interesting thing is that under Windows explorer, with the one
> file on the disk it shows it as having a total space of 1.8 GB with 0 free
> space even though the disk is capable of holding 4.7 GB.
> So my question is, is there a way of burning multiple files to a DVD a few
> at a time, or should I just chalk this up as a lesson learned and wait
> until I've accumulated enough files to fill the DVD at one time.
>
> Thanks

Thanks for the replies everyone. It is apparent that burning all at once is
the way to go.