Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > debug a dll

debug a dll

Hi,

I want to debug my asp.net web site, when I open a dll project and attached
the web page process and it didn't stop on the break point. How to debug the
dll? Thanks.

Patrick Steele

In article <OBWw$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi,
>
> I want to debug my asp.net web site, when I open a dll project and attached
> the web page process and it didn't stop on the break point. How to debug the
> dll? Thanks.

Is the DLL compiled in debug mode?

What process did you attach to?

--
Patrick Steele ((E-Mail Removed))
http://weblogs.asp.net/psteele

Thanks Patrick,

Yes. the DLL is debug mode and I attached and an instance
IE(http://localhost/myapp.aspx).

I got it to work like this: crate a new aspx web application and add the dll
project and reference to the dll project and now I can debug. Do I have to?
or just open DLL project and attach a web application process and can debug?

"Patrick Steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> In article <OBWw$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to debug my asp.net web site, when I open a dll project and

attached
> > the web page process and it didn't stop on the break point. How to debug

the
> > dll? Thanks.

> Is the DLL compiled in debug mode?
>
> What process did you attach to?
>
> --
> Patrick Steele ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://weblogs.asp.net/psteele

Steve

You need to attach to the ASP.NET process, not the IE process.

Steve C.
MCSD,MCAD,MCSE,MCP+I,CNE,CNA,CCNA

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Thanks Patrick,
>
> Yes. the DLL is debug mode and I attached and an instance
> IE(http://localhost/myapp.aspx).
>
> I got it to work like this: crate a new aspx web application and add the dll
> project and reference to the dll project and now I can debug. Do I have to?
> or just open DLL project and attach a web application process and can debug?
>
> "Patrick Steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> In article <OBWw$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to debug my asp.net web site, when I open a dll project and

> attached
>>> the web page process and it didn't stop on the break point. How to debug

> the
>>> dll? Thanks.

>> Is the DLL compiled in debug mode?
>>
>> What process did you attach to?
>>
>> --
>> Patrick Steele ((E-Mail Removed))
>> http://weblogs.asp.net/psteele

Thanks for the help.
I only see aspnet_wp.exe, don't see ASP.NET.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need to attach to the ASP.NET process, not the IE process.
>

> Steve C.
> MCSD,MCAD,MCSE,MCP+I,CNE,CNA,CCNA
>

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Thanks Patrick,
> >
> > Yes. the DLL is debug mode and I attached and an instance
> > IE(http://localhost/myapp.aspx).
> >
> > I got it to work like this: crate a new aspx web application and add the

dll
> > project and reference to the dll project and now I can debug. Do I have

to?
> > or just open DLL project and attach a web application process and can

debug?

> > "Patrick Steele" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >> In article <OBWw$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> >> says...

> > attached

debug
> > the
> >> Is the DLL compiled in debug mode?
> >>
> >> What process did you attach to?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Patrick Steele ((E-Mail Removed))
> >> http://weblogs.asp.net/psteele

Steve

ASP.NET's process name is aspnet_wp.exe. I couldn't think of it at the
time. Sorry!!