Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Store or export wireless profiles

Store or export wireless profiles

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZWxtYW4=?=

I want to save the wireless profiles so that I don't have to manually enter
them after I reinstall Windows. I am running windows XP with SP2. Is this
possible and if yes, how do I do that?

Sooner Al [MVP]

"steelman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to save the wireless profiles so that I don't have to manually enter
> them after I reinstall Windows. I am running windows XP with SP2. Is this
> possible and if yes, how do I do that?

Yes, use Windows Connect Now (WCN) to save off your settings to a flash
drive...

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZWxtYW4=?=

But this only applies for new profiles. I want to save the ones I allready
have.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> "steelman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I want to save the wireless profiles so that I don't have to manually enter
> > them after I reinstall Windows. I am running windows XP with SP2. Is this
> > possible and if yes, how do I do that?

> Yes, use Windows Connect Now (WCN) to save off your settings to a flash
> drive...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Sooner Al [MVP]

"steelman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But this only applies for new profiles. I want to save the ones I allready
> have.
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "steelman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I want to save the wireless profiles so that I don't have to manually
>> >enter
>> > them after I reinstall Windows. I am running windows XP with SP2. Is
>> > this
>> > possible and if yes, how do I do that?

>> Yes, use Windows Connect Now (WCN) to save off your settings to a flash
>> drive...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...uy/cg0604.mspx
>>
>> --
>>
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
>> mutual benefit of all of us...
>> rights...
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

I know with Vista you should be able to do that via group policies or netsh
commands. I don't think that pertains to XP though. What wireless hardware
are you running? Perhaps the wireless manager, ie. versus using WZC in
Windows, for that particular hardware may let you save off profiles.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
What is the make up if the Wireless profiles that you want to save?
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"steelman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to save the wireless profiles so that I don't have to manually enter
> them after I reinstall Windows. I am running windows XP with SP2. Is this
> possible and if yes, how do I do that?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF2ZWwgQS4=?=

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
> I know with Vista you should be able to do that via group policies or netsh
> commands. I don't think that pertains to XP though. What wireless hardware
> are you running? Perhaps the wireless manager, ie. versus using WZC in
> Windows, for that particular hardware may let you save off profiles.

WinXP GUI and netsh can't to this.

The OP can try it to export his profiles to XML uising Wlan API (KB918997).
I haven't tried this, so no promises... the function is WlanGetProfile.
Please see MSDN for details.

Regards,
--PA

=?Utf-8?B?c3RlZWxtYW4=?=

The make of my wireless adapter is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG. Was that the
answer to your question?