Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Number of pages a laser printer cartridge will print

Number of pages a laser printer cartridge will print

Invalid

Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser printer
cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to compare longterm
costs before buying printers. Thanks.

Dan C

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 03:02:49 +0000, Invalid wrote:

> Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser printer
> cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to compare longterm
> costs before buying printers. Thanks.

Look again. Google's got it.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Invalid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser printer
>cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to compare longterm
>costs before buying printers. Thanks.

PANASONIC KX-4400 toner cartridge did at least one case of paper; 5000
sheets, mostly single sided.

I know this because I used the box to store the output

--

Ohio flood aftermath
http://sevenels.net/flood/07flood.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

> Invalid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser
>> printer cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to
>> compare longterm costs before buying printers. Thanks.

> PANASONIC KX-4400 toner cartridge did at least one case of paper;
> 5000 sheets, mostly single sided.

My faithful NEC Model 95, now 17 years old, gets 6,000 or better to a
cartridge.

--
-bts

Alfred

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 04:08:05 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Invalid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser
>>> printer cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to
>>> compare longterm costs before buying printers. Thanks.

>> PANASONIC KX-4400 toner cartridge did at least one case of paper;
>> 5000 sheets, mostly single sided.

>My faithful NEC Model 95, now 17 years old, gets 6,000 or better to a
>cartridge.

But how many would you get if they were all of Stevie Wonder
performing in a coal mine?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Alfred wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> PANASONIC KX-4400 toner cartridge did at least one case of paper;
>>> 5000 sheets, mostly single sided.

>> My faithful NEC Model 95, now 17 years old, gets 6,000 or better to
>> a cartridge.

> But how many would you get if they were all of Stevie Wonder
> performing in a coal mine?

You have a point.

--
-bts

*alan*

"Dan C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 03:02:49 +0000, Invalid wrote:
>
>> Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser
>> printer
>> cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to compare
>> longterm
>> costs before buying printers. Thanks.

> Look again. Google's got it.

What a marvelously tantalizing reply. Has it occurred to you that perhaps
the OP had already consulted google and, due to not having been lucky enough
to have phrased his query just so, may not have found the result that you
allude to?
I realize it can be satisfying to play the "I know something you don't know"
game (although I can't remember playing it much beyond the 2nd grade), but
if you'd at least revealed your search phrasing, then not only would we be
able to find that site, but we might also learn something about how to
effectively phrase google searches. Just a thought . . . .
--
alan

WhzzKdd

news:76zAi.466137$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alfred wrote:

>>> My faithful NEC Model 95, now 17 years old, gets 6,000 or better to
>>> a cartridge.

>> But how many would you get if they were all of Stevie Wonder
>> performing in a coal mine?

> You have a point.

Yup! I wonder who in their right mind thought that printer companies should
compare their cost per page based on 5% coverage? If I only need to cover 5%
of a page with toner, I'd rather grab a Post-It and scribble on that.

But that's what the OP needs to look for - almost every printer I've looked
at recently has a cost per page or pages per cartridge (divide the price by
that). It's not rocket science

Invalid

Invalid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns999983C326EE8pencilunlistedcom@208.49.82.2 20:

> Is there a web site where I can look up the number of pages a laser
> printer cartridge will print? Didn't see one on Google. I want to
> compare longterm costs before buying printers. Thanks.

I was hoping to find one site with a bunch of printers that have the number
of pages listed.

thanatoid

Invalid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns999A72B80BF4pencilunlistedcom@208.49.82.28 :

> Invalid <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns999983C326EE8pencilunlistedcom@208.49.82.2 20:
>
>> Is there a web site where I can look up the number of
>> pages a laser printer cartridge will print? Didn't see one
>> on Google. I want to compare longterm costs before buying
>> printers. Thanks.
>>

> I was hoping to find one site with a bunch of printers that
> have the number of pages listed.

I very much doubt there is such as site, as there are many
manuf's and models, although anything is possible, so Google (I
will too, it's a slow night).

You are right to be concerned - when laser printers were
expensive, a cartridge was usually rated for 5,000 pages @ 5%
coverage (you might find out that is actually pretty close to an
all-text page with maybe a small graphic, and at least it IS a
standard which all manuf's use.)

These days, 3 things are happening:

1) Laser printers have come down dramatically in price.

2) Replacement cartridges are usually rated at 2, 2.5, or - if
you're LUCKY - 3,000 pages.

3) MANY printers you buy come with a "starter" cartridge which
will ONLY LAST 500 or maybe 1K pages. I kid you not.

And needless to say, cartridges cost almost as much as they used
to. They do have finer ink etc, but even 300 dpi was quite
adequate for most people. The laser advantage was always speed
and output quality - within reason. If you want to print
something REALLY serious, you still have to go to an Office
Depot or a service bureau.

Now for something else that *I* found RATHER interesting, being
generally hostile and suspicious of absolutely everything.

When my first laser cartridge died (after 8 years - I hardly
ever print, I AM largely paperless) I opened it up for fun (I
like to tinker) since I was offered 2 dollars for it at a
recycling place and I live in a country which does not
participate in the cartridge recycling program.

Or, as I now like to call it, one of the biggest scams around.
Why?
Because after opening it up I found a CONSIDERABLE amount of
toner still in it, which would not "get to the rollers" no
matter how many times I shook the cartridge to get "the last
drop out". And I did, for about half a year (like I said, I
print VERY little).

There was SO much toner left in the cartridge that roughly
estimating its size, capacity, weight of toner etc I would guess
about 5 "dead" cartridges would have enough toner still in them
to fill an entire new cartridge.

I now have NO DOUBT whatsoever that the main reason for the
"cartridge recycling programs" is not care for the environment,
but rather the fact that most of the cartridge, having lived
without human hands touching it, can be reused, with the
exception of the main drum (one would HOPE) and maybe a few
minor moving parts or parts which have to be destroyed to open
the thing.

And more importantly, all the toner is emptied (they must have
special machines to do it since it is "sticky") and is re-used
in "new" cartridges. The toner is fine - it doesn't rot with age
or anything, and most cartridges DO say "may contain used or
remanufactured parts" (or something). So the "used" toner is not
a problem for me, the hypocrisy and selling stuff you get for
nothing for a LOT of money ARE.

It is plain as day to me that the fact that "when they get 5
back, they have enough for a whole 'new' cartridge" is the
reason for the whole operation.

Perhaps the "dead" toner is used/sold to others for less
critical uses, such as in photocopying machines, which could be
considered "less offensive", but I doubt it.

Comments?

--
"This is not nuclear. This is just a test."
- illyria