Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > laptop HD failure/recovery error

laptop HD failure/recovery error

franko

Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)

The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
sp2).

I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
drive ahead of the HD.
I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
antivirus is probably running.

There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
to disable Norton

Thanks for any help

WhzzKdd

"franko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
>
> The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
> sp2).
>
> I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
> drive ahead of the HD.
> I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
> with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
> antivirus is probably running.
>
> There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
> to disable Norton
>
> Thanks for any help

If the drive "appears to have failed", why would you think the recovery CD
would be able to write to it? Dead is dead.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

WhzzKdd wrote:
> "franko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
>>
>> The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
>> sp2).
>>
>> I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
>> drive ahead of the HD.
>> I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
>> with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
>> antivirus is probably running.
>>
>> There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
>> to disable Norton
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>>

> If the drive "appears to have failed", why would you think the recovery CD
> would be able to write to it? Dead is dead.

The porch light is on, but nobody home.

Steve Meyerson

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:19:25 -0000, franko <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
>
>The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
>sp2).
>
>I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
>drive ahead of the HD.
>I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
>with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
>antivirus is probably running.
>
>There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
>to disable Norton
>
>Thanks for any help

If your HD won't boot and you think the files are still accessible,
create a bootable CD
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
then copy/recover files to a second drive, flashdrive or whatever.

Another option is to use a HD enclosure. Attach it by USB to another
computer.

Steve M.

Steve Meyerson

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:15:00 GMT, Steve Meyerson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:19:25 -0000, franko <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)
>>
>>The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
>>sp2).
>>
>>I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
>>drive ahead of the HD.
>>I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
>>with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
>>antivirus is probably running.
>>
>>There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
>>to disable Norton
>>
>>Thanks for any help

>If your HD won't boot and you think the files are still accessible,
>create a bootable CD
>http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
>then copy/recover files to a second drive, flashdrive or whatever.
>
>Another option is to use a HD enclosure. Attach it by USB to another
>computer.
>
>Steve M.

SATA & IDE HD enclosure about 12 bucks...
http://meritline.com/external-hard-drive-enclosure.html

franko

On Aug 27, 8:32 am, Steve Meyerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:15:00 GMT, Steve Meyerson
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 02:19:25 -0000, franko <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >wrote:

> >>Toshiba satellite A70 (canada)

> >>The hard drive appears to have failed. I cant boot to windows (XP
> >>sp2).

> >>I managed to get to the Bios and reset the boot order to place the CD
> >>drive ahead of the HD.
> >>I inserted the Recovery CD but after it starts tthe restore it quits
> >>with Error 58 saying that it cant write to the boot sector as an
> >>antivirus is probably running.

> >>There is none built in as part of the Bios and I cant get to Windows
> >>to disable Norton

> >>Thanks for any help

> >If your HD won't boot and you think the files are still accessible,
> >create a bootable CD
> >http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
> >then copy/recover files to a second drive, flashdrive or whatever.

> >Another option is to use a HD enclosure. Attach it by USB to another
> >computer.

> >Steve M.

> SATA & IDE HD enclosure about 12 bucks...http://meritline.com/external-hard-drive-enclosure.html

Thank you Steve.