Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Belkin Wirless and Xp compatability?

Belkin Wirless and Xp compatability?

=?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=

I have an older Toshiba. a Tecra 8000 to be exact. has 4 gigs, 128 megs of
ram (not much, I know.). I just installed windows Xp today (up from windows
98!) and went on nto install a Belkin wireless card. It's a Belkin G
Notebook Card. not exactly sure on the model and I'm using it at the moment
so i can't really look.

It has nit's own connectivity manager, and then so does XP. They both do
basically the same function, but i can't figure out how to turn one of them
off and just use one of the programs.

When i am at home, there are a few weak wireless signals that i can latch
onto. But, When I try to get on using the Belkin software, I get an error
and the program says Sorry but I'm shutting down now.

What is wrong? I've been trying to figure it out.

I've been sitting here in Barnes and Noble on a good connection and I
haven't had any problems since I finally got connected to a stable signal.

Does it just error out trying to find a signal in a not-signal-rich area?

Thats about as well as i can explain it.

Ryan in Topeka

bjr

Run msconfig and uncheck the belkin utility. That will stop it from

ravie_air wrote:
> I have an older Toshiba. a Tecra 8000 to be exact. has 4 gigs, 128 megs of
> ram (not much, I know.). I just installed windows Xp today (up from windows
> 98!) and went on nto install a Belkin wireless card. It's a Belkin G
> Notebook Card. not exactly sure on the model and I'm using it at the moment
> so i can't really look.
>
> It has nit's own connectivity manager, and then so does XP. They both do
> basically the same function, but i can't figure out how to turn one of them
> off and just use one of the programs.
>
> When i am at home, there are a few weak wireless signals that i can latch
> onto. But, When I try to get on using the Belkin software, I get an error
> and the program says Sorry but I'm shutting down now.
>
> What is wrong? I've been trying to figure it out.
>
> I've been sitting here in Barnes and Noble on a good connection and I
> haven't had any problems since I finally got connected to a stable signal.
>
> Does it just error out trying to find a signal in a not-signal-rich area?
>
> Thats about as well as i can explain it.
>
> Ryan in Topeka

=?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=

how do I run that? I'm more of a mac guy...and I forgot most of what I
learned about commanding dos to do things...

Thanks.

"bjr" wrote:

> Run msconfig and uncheck the belkin utility. That will stop it from
>

> ravie_air wrote:
> > I have an older Toshiba. a Tecra 8000 to be exact. has 4 gigs, 128 megs of
> > ram (not much, I know.). I just installed windows Xp today (up from windows
> > 98!) and went on nto install a Belkin wireless card. It's a Belkin G
> > Notebook Card. not exactly sure on the model and I'm using it at the moment
> > so i can't really look.
> >
> > It has nit's own connectivity manager, and then so does XP. They both do
> > basically the same function, but i can't figure out how to turn one of them
> > off and just use one of the programs.
> >
> > When i am at home, there are a few weak wireless signals that i can latch
> > onto. But, When I try to get on using the Belkin software, I get an error
> > and the program says Sorry but I'm shutting down now.
> >
> > What is wrong? I've been trying to figure it out.
> >
> > I've been sitting here in Barnes and Noble on a good connection and I
> > haven't had any problems since I finally got connected to a stable signal.
> >
> > Does it just error out trying to find a signal in a not-signal-rich area?
> >
> > Thats about as well as i can explain it.
> >
> > Ryan in Topeka

=?Utf-8?B?cmF2aWVfYWly?=

ok, I figured it out. thanks.

"ravie_air" wrote:

> how do I run that? I'm more of a mac guy...and I forgot most of what I
> learned about commanding dos to do things...
>
> Thanks.
>
> "bjr" wrote:
>
> > Run msconfig and uncheck the belkin utility. That will stop it from
> >

> > ravie_air wrote:
> > > I have an older Toshiba. a Tecra 8000 to be exact. has 4 gigs, 128 megs of
> > > ram (not much, I know.). I just installed windows Xp today (up from windows
> > > 98!) and went on nto install a Belkin wireless card. It's a Belkin G
> > > Notebook Card. not exactly sure on the model and I'm using it at the moment
> > > so i can't really look.
> > >
> > > It has nit's own connectivity manager, and then so does XP. They both do
> > > basically the same function, but i can't figure out how to turn one of them
> > > off and just use one of the programs.
> > >
> > > When i am at home, there are a few weak wireless signals that i can latch
> > > onto. But, When I try to get on using the Belkin software, I get an error
> > > and the program says Sorry but I'm shutting down now.
> > >
> > > What is wrong? I've been trying to figure it out.
> > >
> > > I've been sitting here in Barnes and Noble on a good connection and I
> > > haven't had any problems since I finally got connected to a stable signal.
> > >
> > > Does it just error out trying to find a signal in a not-signal-rich area?
> > >
> > > Thats about as well as i can explain it.
> > >
> > > Ryan in Topeka

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Log to this page and scroll down to the section that starts with:
"Many new Wireless Laptops and Wireless ready Desktops come with a
configuration that loads the Original Wireless manufacturer’s Utility at
Startup"
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"ravie_air" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an older Toshiba. a Tecra 8000 to be exact. has 4 gigs, 128 megs
>of
> ram (not much, I know.). I just installed windows Xp today (up from
> windows
> 98!) and went on nto install a Belkin wireless card. It's a Belkin G
> Notebook Card. not exactly sure on the model and I'm using it at the
> moment
> so i can't really look.
>
> It has nit's own connectivity manager, and then so does XP. They both do
> basically the same function, but i can't figure out how to turn one of
> them
> off and just use one of the programs.
>
> When i am at home, there are a few weak wireless signals that i can latch
> onto. But, When I try to get on using the Belkin software, I get an error
> and the program says Sorry but I'm shutting down now.
>
> What is wrong? I've been trying to figure it out.
>
> I've been sitting here in Barnes and Noble on a good connection and I
> haven't had any problems since I finally got connected to a stable signal.
>
> Does it just error out trying to find a signal in a not-signal-rich area?
>
> Thats about as well as i can explain it.
>
> Ryan in Topeka

Nemo

I also have an old Toshiba with the same spec. with belkin card in, I also
had same problem when using belkin connection tool , open up the
Belkin utility connect and untick box " Let this tool manage your wireless
"
I left the box ticked " Enable Wireless "
Then goto control panel ,Administrative tools, click on Services
scolldown to Wireless Zero configeration and set to Automatic
I use my old Toshiba to stream radio all day it never stops.