Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > remove a post

remove a post

eoiajvoeijn

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:09:31 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:48:19 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>True but less than 1% even know about the newsgroups while everyone
>>can access google and see the information.

>Where do you get 1% from? How about 50% don't want to use Google.
>Anyone on usenet with decent client application will find Google
>groups clumsy.

The 1% is a high estimate for those with Internet access who use
Usenet.
And if they are taken off by google then they won't show up on an
INTERNET search.

Steve Wolstenholme

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:10:56 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:09:31 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:48:19 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>True but less than 1% even know about the newsgroups while everyone
>>>can access google and see the information.

>>Where do you get 1% from? How about 50% don't want to use Google.
>>Anyone on usenet with decent client application will find Google
>>groups clumsy.

>The 1% is a high estimate for those with Internet access who use
>Usenet.

Yes, the Internet is essential to use Usenet but the Web isn't.
OTOH the Internet and the Web are both needed to use Google.

>And if they are taken off by google then they won't show up on an
>INTERNET search.

What's an INTERNET search?

Are you assuming that the Internet and the Web are the same thing?

In case you don't know, the Web was created in 1989. The Internet
"evolved" around 1966.

Steve
--
Steve Wolstenholme Neural Planner Software Ltd

http://www.easynn.com

eoiajvoeijn

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:22:25 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:10:56 -0500, eoiajvoeijn <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:09:31 +0100, Steve Wolstenholme
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>Where do you get 1% from? How about 50% don't want to use Google.
>>>Anyone on usenet with decent client application will find Google
>>>groups clumsy.

>>The 1% is a high estimate for those with Internet access who use
>>Usenet.

>Yes, the Internet is essential to use Usenet but the Web isn't.
>OTOH the Internet and the Web are both needed to use Google.
>
>>And if they are taken off by google then they won't show up on an
>>INTERNET search.

>What's an INTERNET search?
>
>Are you assuming that the Internet and the Web are the same thing?
>
>In case you don't know, the Web was created in 1989. The Internet
>"evolved" around 1966.
>
>Steve

You misunderstand me. I've been out here since '87 using local BBS's
and I was using Mosiac Netscape from almost day one and I don't
remember what I was using before that. My wife still uses Netscape
because that's what she always used.
I'm talking about a Google or Yahoo search. Once the information is
off google groups it will be accessible only to those looking for it
using a Usenet search.

Mike Easter

eoiajvoeijn wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> eoiajvoeijn wrote:

>>> How do I get a post removed from google groups

>> You can't.

>> Google spells out pretty clearly which posts they will remove from
>> their archives, as you must be aware since you choose to be an XNA
>> poster.

> It doesn't matter whether I was an XNA poster as I didn't post the
> information.

You seem to be misunderstanding me about referring to your XNA.

I'm saying that -1- you can't use the googletools to remove a post from
the GG archive that you didn't post.

What I said about your current XNA is simply that it is /another/ second
indication that you are already familiar with google's policies.

You have shown 2 things indicating a familiarity with google's
olicies; -1- that they told you that you have no 'authority' to remove
a post that you didn't make; and that -2- you like to use the XNA
header which is almost entirely a 'google thing'.

> Do you have any other ideas now that I've explained that I didn't post
> in on google groups?

No.

--
Mike Easter

eoiajvoeijn

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:17:01 -0700, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>eoiajvoeijn wrote:

>>> You can't.

>>> Google spells out pretty clearly which posts they will remove from
>>> their archives, as you must be aware since you choose to be an XNA
>>> poster.

>> It doesn't matter whether I was an XNA poster as I didn't post the
>> information.

>You seem to be misunderstanding me about referring to your XNA.
>
>I'm saying that -1- you can't use the googletools to remove a post from
>the GG archive that you didn't post.
>
>What I said about your current XNA is simply that it is /another/ second
>indication that you are already familiar with google's policies.
>
>You have shown 2 things indicating a familiarity with google's
>olicies; -1- that they told you that you have no 'authority' to remove
>a post that you didn't make; and that -2- you like to use the XNA
>header which is almost entirely a 'google thing'.
>
>> Do you have any other ideas now that I've explained that I didn't post
>> in on google groups?

>No.

Yes they do have the authority and they clearly spell that out in the
help area. They just won't remove it and when they do they still leave
the headers.
I've never posted in a google group directly.

Mike Easter

eoiajvoeijn wrote:

> Yes they do have the authority and they clearly spell that out in the
> help area. They just won't remove it and when they do they still leave
> the headers.
> I've never posted in a google group directly.

When Deja News first began the process of archiving usenet posts, there
were a lot of people unhappy about that. It was partly because of the
unhappiness that the XNA header was 'born'.

In your example of there being a usenet post which existence you find
undesirable, if there were not a GG archive of it, it would likely
eventually become (almost) 'lost' - because there aren't very many
archiving services and for the ones which there are, none of them have
the power or popularity of GG to make a piece of information available
to so many people indefinitely.

But in theory, even if GG eliminated the post, it could still be found
on the newsservers which have long retention for a very long time and it
could still be found on other archivers indefinitely.

--
Mike Easter

ded

"eoiajvoeijn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in the
> newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
> posted it can remove it.

I don't have anything constructive to offer in the way of a solution.
I do know, as most others do also, that google have their arses covered
in every legal aspect. From politicians through to Hollywood paranoids
there have been legal challenges etc, if the rule still exists in google you
can be pretty certain it will have been legally challenged at some point
and failed.
As an example, I do know that though they will remove a post if requested
by the actual poster, they won't remove any other posts in the thread where
the contents are quoted - and that apparently has been tested in court.
And I do know that that they do apply differing rules depending on Global
locality, the very obvious example is the legal test of free speech online
in
the States that has bizarrely resulted in the libel laws that apply to other
media (newspapers, TV etc) do not apply to NG postings! Whereas here
in UK, libel is libel whatever the medium, though one would have to prove
the extent of damage etc. So a libelous statement posted in the states
would remain in the google archive, but the same libelous posting made
from the UK if brought to googles attention they would remove.
Most know of the odd situation of google filtering anything nasty being
seen by North Koreans of their mad dictator.
In the context of what is available online, and specifically the lunacy that
goes on unrestricted in the slime that is usenet, one individuals personal
details in a post - you really don't have a hope of getting it removed.
You may know of this google groups guide whereby you can post and ask
others for solutions and google employees also answer specific posts.
But you will also see the many posts similar to your situation, and the
answer is always the same - no, it won't be removed.
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Groups-Guide

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

eoiajvoeijn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been out here since '87 using local BBS's
>and I was using Mosiac Netscape from almost day one and I don't
>remember what I was using before that.

Telemate; you were most likely a beamer.

Since '87, you should of known better than posting your home address,
that's a rookie mistake.

--

Ohio flood aftermath
http://sevenels.net/flood/07flood.html

eoiajvoeijn

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 18:13:33 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> eoiajvoeijn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've been out here since '87 using local BBS's
>>and I was using Mosiac Netscape from almost day one and I don't
>>remember what I was using before that.

>Telemate; you were most likely a beamer.
>
>Since '87, you should of known better than posting your home address,
>that's a rookie mistake.

I didn't, it was a fluke.

Vanguard

"eoiajvoeijn" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I get a post removed from google groups that was posted in
> the
> newsgroups that contains my home address? They say on the one who
> posted it can remove it.

Google has their own mechanism from removing it from their servers.
Since your post got propagated to other servers, and since cancels
don't propagate or are ignored by the vast majority of servers, your
old post will remain until the expiration occurs for the post which is
dependent on the settings of each server some of which have an
expiration of 5 years.