Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > skipping the password at reboot

skipping the password at reboot

anthonyberet

I have been trying to get my XP SP2 box to skip the password at reboot
by using the following advice:
http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php

However, the "control userpaswords2" program seems quit without doing
anything. I just get a egg-time for a second and then nothing at the
run-prompt.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

anthonyberet wrote:
> I have been trying to get my XP SP2 box to skip the password at reboot
> by using the following advice:
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
>
> However, the "control userpaswords2" program seems quit without doing
> anything. I just get a egg-time for a second and then nothing at the
> run-prompt.

Just a little nit-picking, but you misspelled the command here. I assume
it's just a typo here and not what you're typing in the command line.
TweakUI will help you with getting rid of the logon, but the method
you're trying is smoother I think.

anthonyberet

Rgr wrote:
> anthonyberet wrote:
>> I have been trying to get my XP SP2 box to skip the password at reboot
>> by using the following advice:
>> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
>>
>> However, the "control userpaswords2" program seems quit without doing
>> anything. I just get a egg-time for a second and then nothing at the
>> run-prompt.

> Just a little nit-picking, but you misspelled the command here. I assume
> it's just a typo here and not what you're typing in the command line.
> TweakUI will help you with getting rid of the logon, but the method
> you're trying is smoother I think.

No that was what I was typing. For some reason it wasn't telling me that
the program didn't exist!
Anyway it works with 3 S's so thanks.

Vanguard

"anthonyberet" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been trying to get my XP SP2 box to skip the password at
> reboot by using the following advice:
> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
>
> However, the "control userpaswords2" program seems quit without
> doing anything. I just get a egg-time for a second and then nothing
> at the run-prompt.

"password at reboot"

Sure you're not asking about a BIOS password?

anthonyberet

Vanguard wrote:
> "anthonyberet" wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have been trying to get my XP SP2 box to skip the password at reboot
>> by using the following advice:
>> http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/welskip.php
>>
>> However, the "control userpaswords2" program seems quit without doing
>> anything. I just get a egg-time for a second and then nothing at the
>> run-prompt.

> "password at reboot"
>
> Sure you're not asking about a BIOS password?

Yes it was the XP logon screen that I meant.
Thansk for the suggestion - it is sorted now.