Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Good Signal but no internet when not b/c SSID

Reply
Thread Tools

Good Signal but no internet when not b/c SSID

 
 
Chris Cowles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2005
Ken Wright wrote:
> No argument there - This was simply something that was bugging me because I
> couldn't figure out why.


If SP2 finds a broadcasting SSID it won't connect to a non-broadcasting
SSID. I just learned that over the weekend after upgrading my kids'
Win2K Pro computer to a Win XP Pro computer. XPP found my neighbor's
linksys WAP (broadcasting with all defaults) and wouldn't connect to the
WAP it had been successfully connected to before, my own.

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ken Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2005
Buffalo Air Station 125 on a desktop - Desktop is Win XP SP2. Laptop
(Win2K) has a Buffalo 125 Cardbus in it and works fine, connecting
automatically when booted up. I have WPA-AES enabled and all works fine. I
then tried switching off broadcasting the SSID and suddenly I can longer
connect to the internet on the laptop. I use an existing profile to connect
to the AP which as far as I can see is successful because I get a good
signal strength (Better than normal in fact), but just can't connect to the
web. Trouble is that I get a message that says Access Point not found, but
how can I be getting a good signal if no AP is found? As soon as I
re-enable broadcasting I can see the network from the laptop, can reconnect
and immediately see it renew the IP address, and can also then connect to
the web.

I know that not broadcasting the SSID doesn't really do anything for
security and so can simply re-enable it, but it's bugging me as to why it
should do this.

Any thoughts anyone???

Regards
Ken...................





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
mikeFNB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2005
it's a known problem with some pc's after sp2.
there wasa thread with a pointer to a knowledge base last week

mike

"Ken Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Buffalo Air Station 125 on a desktop - Desktop is Win XP SP2. Laptop
> (Win2K) has a Buffalo 125 Cardbus in it and works fine, connecting
> automatically when booted up. I have WPA-AES enabled and all works fine.

I
> then tried switching off broadcasting the SSID and suddenly I can longer
> connect to the internet on the laptop. I use an existing profile to

connect
> to the AP which as far as I can see is successful because I get a good
> signal strength (Better than normal in fact), but just can't connect to

the
> web. Trouble is that I get a message that says Access Point not found,

but
> how can I be getting a good signal if no AP is found? As soon as I
> re-enable broadcasting I can see the network from the laptop, can

reconnect
> and immediately see it renew the IP address, and can also then connect to
> the web.
>
> I know that not broadcasting the SSID doesn't really do anything for
> security and so can simply re-enable it, but it's bugging me as to why it
> should do this.
>
> Any thoughts anyone???
>
> Regards
> Ken...................
>
>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Sooner Al
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2005
There is no good reason to not broadcast the SSID anyway. It is not a valid security measure..

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

"mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message news:Kp_Bd.810$(E-Mail Removed)...
> it's a known problem with some pc's after sp2.
> there wasa thread with a pointer to a knowledge base last week
>
> mike
>
> "Ken Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Buffalo Air Station 125 on a desktop - Desktop is Win XP SP2. Laptop
>> (Win2K) has a Buffalo 125 Cardbus in it and works fine, connecting
>> automatically when booted up. I have WPA-AES enabled and all works fine.

> I
>> then tried switching off broadcasting the SSID and suddenly I can longer
>> connect to the internet on the laptop. I use an existing profile to

> connect
>> to the AP which as far as I can see is successful because I get a good
>> signal strength (Better than normal in fact), but just can't connect to

> the
>> web. Trouble is that I get a message that says Access Point not found,

> but
>> how can I be getting a good signal if no AP is found? As soon as I
>> re-enable broadcasting I can see the network from the laptop, can

> reconnect
>> and immediately see it renew the IP address, and can also then connect to
>> the web.
>>
>> I know that not broadcasting the SSID doesn't really do anything for
>> security and so can simply re-enable it, but it's bugging me as to why it
>> should do this.
>>
>> Any thoughts anyone???
>>
>> Regards
>> Ken...................
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2005
No argument there - This was simply something that was bugging me because I
couldn't figure out why.

Regards
Ken............................ MVP Excel


"Sooner Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no good reason to not broadcast the SSID anyway. It is not a

valid security measure..
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual

benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

rights...
>
> "mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message

news:Kp_Bd.810$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > it's a known problem with some pc's after sp2.
> > there wasa thread with a pointer to a knowledge base last week
> >
> > mike
> >
> > "Ken Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Buffalo Air Station 125 on a desktop - Desktop is Win XP SP2. Laptop
> >> (Win2K) has a Buffalo 125 Cardbus in it and works fine, connecting
> >> automatically when booted up. I have WPA-AES enabled and all works

fine.
> > I
> >> then tried switching off broadcasting the SSID and suddenly I can

longer
> >> connect to the internet on the laptop. I use an existing profile to

> > connect
> >> to the AP which as far as I can see is successful because I get a good
> >> signal strength (Better than normal in fact), but just can't connect to

> > the
> >> web. Trouble is that I get a message that says Access Point not found,

> > but
> >> how can I be getting a good signal if no AP is found? As soon as I
> >> re-enable broadcasting I can see the network from the laptop, can

> > reconnect
> >> and immediately see it renew the IP address, and can also then connect

to
> >> the web.
> >>
> >> I know that not broadcasting the SSID doesn't really do anything for
> >> security and so can simply re-enable it, but it's bugging me as to why

it
> >> should do this.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts anyone???
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Ken...................
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-02-2005
Cheers Mike, I'll have a trawl.

Regards
Ken........................... MVP Excel


"mikeFNB" <moc.dlrowltn@FNB7G-ekim> wrote in message
news:Kp_Bd.810$(E-Mail Removed)...
> it's a known problem with some pc's after sp2.
> there wasa thread with a pointer to a knowledge base last week
>
> mike
>
> "Ken Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Buffalo Air Station 125 on a desktop - Desktop is Win XP SP2. Laptop
> > (Win2K) has a Buffalo 125 Cardbus in it and works fine, connecting
> > automatically when booted up. I have WPA-AES enabled and all works

fine.
> I
> > then tried switching off broadcasting the SSID and suddenly I can longer
> > connect to the internet on the laptop. I use an existing profile to

> connect
> > to the AP which as far as I can see is successful because I get a good
> > signal strength (Better than normal in fact), but just can't connect to

> the
> > web. Trouble is that I get a message that says Access Point not found,

> but
> > how can I be getting a good signal if no AP is found? As soon as I
> > re-enable broadcasting I can see the network from the laptop, can

> reconnect
> > and immediately see it renew the IP address, and can also then connect

to
> > the web.
> >
> > I know that not broadcasting the SSID doesn't really do anything for
> > security and so can simply re-enable it, but it's bugging me as to why

it
> > should do this.
> >
> > Any thoughts anyone???
> >
> > Regards
> > Ken...................
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Ken Wright
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-03-2005
Hi Chris, I'd come across that one but there are are no other broadcasting
SSIDs in range at the moment. Different story if I go wandering up the
street with my laptop

--
Regards
Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Chris Cowles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23jbT$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ken Wright wrote:
> > No argument there - This was simply something that was bugging me

because I
> > couldn't figure out why.

>
> If SP2 finds a broadcasting SSID it won't connect to a non-broadcasting
> SSID. I just learned that over the weekend after upgrading my kids'
> Win2K Pro computer to a Win XP Pro computer. XPP found my neighbor's
> linksys WAP (broadcasting with all defaults) and wouldn't connect to the
> WAP it had been successfully connected to before, my own.
>
> Chris Cowles
> Gainesville, FL



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
no internet, but good WiFi signal Mr. Arnold Computer Support 3 03-21-2008 08:36 PM
"Target of signal assignment is not a signal" Nicolas Moreau VHDL 9 07-25-2007 04:21 PM
SSID called HOME even though I have configured another SSID =?Utf-8?B?bXJ3b25n?= Wireless Networking 0 03-26-2006 10:50 PM
Preferred SSID - Hidden SSID =?Utf-8?B?cmNi?= Wireless Networking 4 09-29-2005 11:57 AM
Disabling SSID on Linksys WRT54GS router. Cannot disable ssid pattyjamas@hotmail.com Wireless Networking 6 08-18-2005 02:27 PM



Advertisments