Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem making wi-fi connection

Problem making wi-fi connection

Gerry

I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.

If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection
is made.

I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any
other firewall system installed.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?

With thanks,

Gerry

Barb Bowman

wireless access point or wireless router? a true access point
doesn't normally supply DHCP (what brand and model is this device if
you don't know?

if wireless access point, what is it plugged into?

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Gerry

Barb Bowman wrote:
> wireless access point or wireless router? a true access point
> doesn't normally supply DHCP (what brand and model is this device if
> you don't know?
>
> if wireless access point, what is it plugged into?
>
> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:14:26 GMT, Gerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
>> wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
>> apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
>>
>> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
>> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection
>> is made.
>>
>> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
>> firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any
>> other firewall system installed.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
>> need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
>>
>> With thanks,
>>
>> Gerry

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

OK, sorry - wrong terminology. It is a NETGEAR wireless ADSL modem
router DG834G, v 3. It is plugged into the phone socket and has
connections to other computers via an Ethernet.

Gerry

Barb Bowman

first thing is to power cycle the Netgear. does that make a
difference?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:47:04 GMT, Gerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>OK, sorry - wrong terminology. It is a NETGEAR wireless ADSL modem
>router DG834G, v 3. It is plugged into the phone socket and has
>connections to other computers via an Ethernet.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Lem

Gerry wrote:
> Barb Bowman wrote:
>> wireless access point or wireless router? a true access point
>> doesn't normally supply DHCP (what brand and model is this device if
>> you don't know?
>>
>> if wireless access point, what is it plugged into?
>>
>> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:14:26 GMT, Gerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
>>> wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
>>> apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
>>>
>>> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
>>> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no
>>> connection is made.
>>>
>>> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
>>> firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have
>>> any other firewall system installed.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings
>>> do I need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
>>>
>>> With thanks,
>>>
>>> Gerry

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP

> OK, sorry - wrong terminology. It is a NETGEAR wireless ADSL modem
> router DG834G, v 3. It is plugged into the phone socket and has
> connections to other computers via an Ethernet.
>
> Gerry

If power cycling the Netgear doesn't resolve your issue, your problem
seems much more related to wireless encryption issues than to the
Windows firewall. When configuring a wireless network (or the wireless
portion of your LAN), it often makes sense to get it up and running with
NO wireless security (no encryption). Once that's working, then
configure the most secure level of encryption supported by all of the
wireless devices on your network.

If at all possible, use WPA2-PSK or WPA-PSK ("PSK" refers to Pre-Shared
Key; this may be shown as "personal"; you do not want the varieties of
encryption denoted "Enterprise" or RADIUS).

If you have a wireless device that only supports WEP encryption, you
should first make sure that you have the latest driver or firmware, as
appropriate. If that doesn't make WPA available, you should seriously
consider replacing that device.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?c2tlZXRh?=

"Gerry" wrote:

> I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
> wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
> apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
>
> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection
> is made.
>
> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
> firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any
> other firewall system installed.
>
> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
> need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
>
> With thanks,
>
> Gerry

=?Utf-8?B?c2tlZXRh?=

try calling your net provider and where you got your router from and have
both companys help u set up your two boxes by doing a '' PING "
test.................

"Gerry" wrote:

> I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
> wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
> apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
>
> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection
> is made.
>
> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
> firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any
> other firewall system installed.
>
> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
> need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
>
> With thanks,
>
> Gerry

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
One of your setting is probably misconfigured.
Since there are numerous settings that can cause it, there is No point for
trail and error.
Read the content of this page, if it will Not solve the current problem it
might help in the future.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CDaAi.37944$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a wireless
>access point in the same room. The connection strength is apparently
>'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
>
> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection is
> made.
>
> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows firewall
> but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any other
> firewall system installed.
>
> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
> need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
>
> With thanks,
>
> Gerry

Gerry

Gerry wrote:
> I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
> wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
> apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
>
> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection
> is made.
>
> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
> firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any
> other firewall system installed.
>
> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
> need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
>
> With thanks,
>
> Gerry

Many thanks for the advice from several people.

Gerry