Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > post retention time

post retention time

Vanguard

"davo" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I really don't care about old posts, it's just that now I'm only
> retaining 2 months worth of posts,

Note that NNTP clients, like OE, will synchronize with the NNTP
server. When they connect, if the old post is no longer available on
the server then they are also no longer available in your local NNTP
client. If you try to reaccess the old but now purged post, a red
line shows through the Subject and you see in the body that the
message is no longer available. If you want to keep posts around
longer and not have them subject to deletion due to synchronization
then you need to move them out of the newsgroup to which you
subscribed. I don't archive old newsgroup posts but some other users
do and can help on how to do it.

See my other post on some other possibilities (although if you reset
the group then they may not apply for awhile longer from now). One
way would be to create a new folder under your local message store
(i.e., under the "Local folders" tree) and drag the selected posts
from newsgroups into that folder. I suspect the posts over there
won't be subject to syncrhonization to the NNTP server. If you are
trying to archive from multiple newsgroups then you probably want to
use subfolders under this "Archive" folder to keep them organized.

Vanguard

"davo" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> No, that's the thing, I haven't changed anything, no customized
> views limiting seeing older posts, OE is config to download 1000,
> and once I get to 5/12./07 in this very group, there are no more
> left to download
> Like I said, I'm just wondering why this has changed when I've done
> nothing to change it

I've noticed since yesterday that there have been some connection
problems with Comcast's contracted newsgroups service (GigaNews).
Although GigaNews is the actual NSP and despite that Giganews owns the
boundary host used by Comcast, it is still up to Comcast to manage
that boundary host. Since last night, I'd get connected, worked for
awhile, then couldn't connect for awhile (so I went off to
msnews.microsoft.com), then it would connect, then not, and so on.
That in itself is not a sure indicator of NSP problems since Comcast
has always had a load problem on that boundary host (if too many
connection requests come in then they get rejected without a
reasonable error comment - and it happens too often for Comcast
newsgroups). Could be Comcast or Giganews are doing some
"maintenance" or recovery. Since it just happened, you might have to
wait a few days for it to unhappen.

Unless you archive the posts yourself, I wouldn't rely on the NSP to
do it for you. I don't bother with (and also delete the local copy
of) posts over 5 days old so there isn't much retention that I would
need, anyway.

davo

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "davo" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I really don't care about old posts, it's just
>> that now I'm only retaining 2 months worth of
>> posts,

> Note that NNTP clients, like OE, will synchronize
> with the NNTP server. When they connect, if the
> old post is no longer available on the server
> then they are also no longer available in your
> local NNTP client. If you try to reaccess the
> old but now purged post, a red line shows through
> the Subject and you see in the body that the
> message is no longer available. If you want to
> keep posts around longer and not have them
> subject to deletion due to synchronization then
> you need to move them out of the newsgroup to
> which you subscribed. I don't archive old
> newsgroup posts but some other users do and can
> help on how to do it.
>
> See my other post on some other possibilities
> (although if you reset the group then they may
> not apply for awhile longer from now). One way
> would be to create a new folder under your local
> message store (i.e., under the "Local folders"
> tree) and drag the selected posts from newsgroups
> into that folder. I suspect the posts over there
> won't be subject to syncrhonization to the NNTP
> server. If you are trying to archive from
> multiple newsgroups then you probably want to use
> subfolders under this "Archive" folder to keep
> them organized.

I'm not getting any notations like a red line
through the Subject. And I'm sorry, it's not your
job to teach me, but I don't understand the NNTP
issue---but would you agree that only 2 months
retention would indicate that something's wrong?
Why would a post only 2 months old not be available
in my local NNTP client? I understand about moving
posts that I want to save, but again, I'm just
trying to find a reason for this happening, and
*maybe*
how to fix it. I thank you for the info, but I'd
just like to have the *ability* to see a post from
March 2007, as an example

davo

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "davo" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> No, that's the thing, I haven't changed
>> anything, no customized views limiting seeing
>> older posts, OE is config to download 1000, and
>> once I get to 5/12./07 in this very group, there
>> are no more left to download
>> Like I said, I'm just wondering why this has
>> changed when I've done nothing to change it

> I've noticed since yesterday that there have been
> some connection problems with Comcast's
> contracted newsgroups service (GigaNews).
> Although GigaNews is the actual NSP and despite
> that Giganews owns the boundary host used by
> Comcast, it is still up to Comcast to manage that
> boundary host. Since last night, I'd get
> connected, worked for awhile, then couldn't
> connect for awhile (so I went off to
> msnews.microsoft.com), then it would connect,
> then not, and so on. That in itself is not a sure
> indicator of NSP problems since Comcast has
> always had a load problem on that boundary host
> (if too many connection requests come in then
> they get rejected without a reasonable error
> comment - and it happens too often for Comcast
> newsgroups). Could be Comcast or Giganews are
> doing some "maintenance" or recovery. Since it
> just happened, you might have to wait a few days
> for it to unhappen.
>
> Unless you archive the posts yourself, I wouldn't
> rely on the NSP to do it for you. I don't bother
> with (and also delete the local copy of) posts
> over 5 days old so there isn't much retention
> that I would need, anyway.

Ok, *that's* what I'm talkin about! I wondered all
along if it was a Gigi problem, but in the past,
having always had Comcast & I know their reputation
for screw ups and no answers, I've just been trying
to narrow down where the change originated from. As
you said, I also don't need much retention, I just
hate it when something changes and I don't know
why. If CC and/or Gigi might be "working on it "
(yea, right), I'll take your advise and see what,
if anything, happens in the next few days.
Thank you for taking the time to address what
really isn't a problem, just a curiosity (although
I *still* want to know what happened, dammit!!) I
hope you're right, cause I'll go crazy--for a
while-- trying to figure it out! Thanks again---if
you think of anything else, pass it on

Vanguard

"davo" wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
<snip>
> Why would a post only 2 months old not be available in my local NNTP
> client? I understand about moving posts that I want to save, but
> again, I'm just trying to find a reason for this happening, and
> *maybe*
> how to fix it. I thank you for the info, but I'd just like to have
> the *ability* to see a post from March 2007, as an example

You could call Comcast or use their chat support but I already know
their answer: contact GigaNews. Done that, been there. GigaNews will
usually reply to contact Comcast. Sometimes they surprise you. Maybe
today GigaNews might answer a question. They would know best if there
are problems with their service.

http://www.giganews.com/contact.html

Make sure to tell them that you are a Comcast customer but that
Comcast cannot or refuses to resolve your problem because the issue
with GigaNews' own service, not with Comcast's interface to it.

davo

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "davo" wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> <snip>
>> Why would a post only 2 months old not be
>> available in my local NNTP client? I understand
>> about moving posts that I want to save, but
>> again, I'm just trying to find a reason for this
>> happening, and *maybe*
>> how to fix it. I thank you for the info, but
>> I'd just like to have the *ability* to see a
>> post from March 2007, as an example

> You could call Comcast or use their chat support
> but I already know their answer: contact
> GigaNews. Done that, been there. GigaNews will
> usually reply to contact Comcast. Sometimes they
> surprise you. Maybe today GigaNews might answer
> a question. They would know best if there are
> problems with their service.
>
> http://www.giganews.com/contact.html
>
> Make sure to tell them that you are a Comcast
> customer but that Comcast cannot or refuses to
> resolve your problem because the issue with
> GigaNews' own service, not with Comcast's
> interface to it.

Yea, I did the chat thing with comcast today and of
course they did refer me to Giga, MS, etc, then
just told me to get a new news server. If I do try
to contact Giga, would I not need some kind of
logon info or user ID? I don't have anything like
that---or are you saying I might actually get to
talk to a real person? I will definitely give that
a try. Thanks again so much

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

davo wrote:

> ... Alt.support.diabetes is one group I've been in for almost 3
> years---all the posts prior to 5/5/07 are gone.

I just looked at my primary newsserver (AT&T Worldnet, not outsourced)
and found 30,512 posts for alt.support diabetes, going back to April 26,
2007. I also checked that group on my alternate newsserver (RoadRunner,
outsourced) and there are 69,842 posts back to October 16, 2006.

--
-bts

Christopher Jahn

"davo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> davo wrote:
>>>
>>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>> in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> You're right, I meant server. You narrowed it
>>> down to an OE problem.
>>> Well, that does help, I didn't know where to
>>> start. Thanks Blinky

>> The obvious way to determine that for sure is to
>> look at one of those
>> groups with another client, davo.
>>
>> Or I suppose you could telnet directly into the
>> server and see what's
>> there for one of them.
>>
>> What's one of the groups?
>>

>> --
>> Blinky

> Yea, that makes sense, try another client. But the
> posts are already gone

How do you know that, if the problem is with the client? Just
because you can't see them,it doesn't follow that they are gone.

That's why you were asked about a specific group. Those of us
accessing the same server can tell you the actual message count.

--
} Christopher Jahn
{ http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

The mutant alien skull man has a smile for all smiles, an answer
for all answers.

Blinky the Shark

davo wrote:

> Yea, that makes sense, try another client. But the
> posts are already gone, so even with a new client
> I'd have to wait a while to see when the posts
> start dropping off, or if they do.
> Alt.support.diabetes is one group I've been in for
> almost 3 years---all the posts prior to 5/5/07 are
> gone. You know, it's not a huge deal, I mean, if I

The oldest posts at netnews.comcast.net for alt.support.diabetes are
from November 5, **2004**. Here's the oldest one I just got from that
server (not from Google or another archive). From the server.

<q>

From: URAQT2 <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: alt.support.diabetes
Subject: Re: The election is over
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:00:32 GMT

Guy wrote:
> Really related to diabetes not OT^
>
> The election has been settled and we will live with the
> results. We will still have the free loaders hustling
> us in all aspects of life.
>
> BUT, you still have diabetes and it will be the big
> issue for you later. The election will be forgotten.

Will it? The 2000 election certainly has not and will not be forgotten.

> Health care will be the big issue. But because it is
> a gross economic burden, t he problems it will
> bring will not be minor.
>
> Problems will come because you are indulging in fads,
> excuses, and using this group as your baby setter.
>
> The election was settled by moral and religious
> issues. Might be a lesson to some. We will never
> win the diabetes game with politics and religious
> evangelism. Others in their selfish pursuits will
> always get a reaction they do not like.
>
> There is a real world.
> .
> Non diabetics that have no vested interest in diabetes
> should get the hell out of here. You are very
> sick and do not understand the harm you are doing
> to diabetics.

Thank you for an excellent post Guy.
As usual you show the wisdom of your years.

--
Chuck
-τΏτ-

"Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt,
kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust and hostility to
evaporate."
- Albert Schweitzer

</q>

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> davo wrote:
>
>> ... Alt.support.diabetes is one group I've been in for almost 3
>> years---all the posts prior to 5/5/07 are gone.

> I just looked at my primary newsserver (AT&T Worldnet, not outsourced)
> and found 30,512 posts for alt.support diabetes, going back to April 26,
> 2007. I also checked that group on my alternate newsserver (RoadRunner,
> outsourced) and there are 69,842 posts back to October 16, 2006.

I just telnetted into *his* server, and found stuff going back to
Novembner 2004. See my reply to him.