Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > utility or command line to automatically create index.html

utility or command line to automatically create index.html

Tom

Can someone either point me to a WinXP utility or suggest a FreeBSD/
Linux command line that I can use to automatically create an
index.html file listing and linking to all the documents in a folder,
regardless of their file extensions.

What I want to do is quickly create an index page for a large folder
of (mostly) .doc files residing on a FreeBSD 6.1 server. If there is a
Windows utility that serves the same purpose, that would be just as
good, as I could do the work on my laptop and then copy to the server.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tom

why?

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 23:42:09 -0000, Tom wrote:

>Can someone either point me to a WinXP utility or suggest a FreeBSD/
>Linux command line that I can use to automatically create an

Which shell?

>index.html file listing and linking to all the documents in a folder,
>regardless of their file extensions.

Lots, you need to find 1 that suits you.

You didn't really try at all did you?

For a command line you may simply need a bit of sed/awk to read a line
from the directory listing and wrap the line in

<snip repeated part of post>
>good, as I could do the work on my laptop and then copy to the server.

You are using BSD and want to work on a Win box and copy it over? Oh
well. It's assumed you want the index but it's not a webserver or ftp or
fileshare, since you didn't mention that.

It's been a while since the last time I setup APache but try
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#options

Indexes options and HEADER and README files for the header and footer.
This gives you a listing.

There are PHP mobules to do this, search for dir to html for Win / Unix
and Python modules for Win/Unix and ditto for perl.

As well as,
http://sourceforge.net/
filestructure to html

and any of the Win software sites

www.simtel.net
www.download.com
www.tucows.com

Search for Dir to HTML sort of thing.

>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Tom

Me

Tom

On Aug 26, 6:10 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

> Lots, you need to find 1 that suits you.
>
> You didn't really try at all did you?

* * *

I hate to admit that after more an hour goggling I couldn't pin down
quite the right search terms. My web history shows several pages of
fruitless effort that turned up lots of interesting freeware, but not
what I needed. I don't post questions here often, as I do appreciate
the valuable time of the group's wizened elders who have many more
lucrative things to do with their time than be bothered by silly
questions.

* * *
> You are using BSD and want to work on a Win box and copy it over? Oh
> well. It's assumed you want the index but it's not a webserver or ftp or
> fileshare, since you didn't mention that.

* * *

The BSD box is my first choice, since the solution would very likely
be simpler and more transparent; and also because I'm more likely to
learn something new there. I've been running an Apache server in the
basement of my house for about two years (rebuilt the OS a couple of
times), mostly self-taught, since being persuaded by a FreeBSD
sysadmin in the mid-west who has since become a friend to make the
switch from the 2k3 server that I had used for a a few years.

I'm not an IT professional and I don't even play one on TV. I'm a
mental health counselor who has never had a computer class and know
that, generally, the best way to learn (at least for me) is to poke
around until I figure something out. Still, it's good to have places
(like this group) and a few kind people that I know that I can turn to
when my mind blanks out or I for other reasons get stuck.

* * *

> Search for Dir to HTML sort of thing.

* * *

Even just that last sentence would likely have gotten me out of my
rut! Thanks for for taking the time to provide just what I needed.

Tom

--
http://tomrue.net
http://vitruvian.tomrue.net