Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Virgin broadband on cable - wifi connection?

Virgin broadband on cable - wifi connection?

Geoff Pearson

My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
wireless connection through out his flat?

Gordon

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
> wireless connection through out his flat?

A Wireless Access Point.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/searc...oint&x=13&y=17

Mike Easter

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to
> give him wireless connection through out his flat?

Your question is ambiguous, and it causes me to think that he has both a
desktop and a laptop, but you didn't mention a desktop, only the laptop.

It is generally easier to find a wireless router with built-in wireless
accesspoint and 4 ethernet LAN ports than just an AP accesspoint.

In the router circumstance, he would have the cable modem ethernet wired
to the router to which a desktop could connect ethernet wired and the
laptop could connect wirelessly. If the LT also has a wired ethernet
port, it could also/alternatively connect to the router by wired
ethernet for purpose of troubleshooting when the wireless connectivity
has problems 'thru'out his flat'.

--
Mike Easter

Geoff Pearson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give
>> him wireless connection through out his flat?
>>

> A Wireless Access Point.
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/searc...oint&x=13&y=17

this looks like what we need. Thanks.

Geoff Pearson

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geoff Pearson wrote:
>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to
>> give him wireless connection through out his flat?

> Your question is ambiguous, and it causes me to think that he has both a
> desktop and a laptop, but you didn't mention a desktop, only the laptop.
>
> It is generally easier to find a wireless router with built-in wireless
> accesspoint and 4 ethernet LAN ports than just an AP accesspoint.
>
> In the router circumstance, he would have the cable modem ethernet wired
> to the router to which a desktop could connect ethernet wired and the
> laptop could connect wirelessly. If the LT also has a wired ethernet
> port, it could also/alternatively connect to the router by wired
> ethernet for purpose of troubleshooting when the wireless connectivity
> has problems 'thru'out his flat'.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

I'm not sure where I was ambiguous. The Virgin guy connected a box he
called a modem to the cable - with Ethernet and USB A sockets on the back.
We know a desktop can be connected to the Ethernet - but wondered if there
were a different "modem" or a box to connect to the Ethernet socket to give
wireless connection for a laptop etc. It seems the kit we require is called
an access point..

Mike Easter

Geoff Pearson wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Geoff Pearson wrote:
>>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>>> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to
>>> give him wireless connection through out his flat?

>> Your question is ambiguous, and it causes me to think that he has
>> both a desktop and a laptop, but you didn't mention a desktop, only
>> the laptop.
>>
>> It is generally easier to find a wireless router with built-in
>> wireless accesspoint and 4 ethernet LAN ports than just an AP
>> accesspoint.
>>
>> In the router circumstance, he would have the cable modem ethernet
>> wired to the router to which a desktop could connect ethernet wired
>> and the laptop could connect wirelessly. If the LT also has a wired
>> ethernet port, it could also/alternatively connect to the router by
>> wired ethernet for purpose of troubleshooting when the wireless
>> connectivity has problems 'thru'out his flat'.

> I'm not sure where I was ambiguous.

You never said whether there was a desktop *AND* a LT. You still
haven't, for some reason, so the ambiguity persists. If you would
contextualize your replies instead of bottom posting we could have a
better discussion because you would be putting your words closer to the
ones you are answering. Bottom posting is untrimmed and
non-contextualized. It suffers from some of the same communication
problems as untrimmed non-contextualized top posting.

> The Virgin guy connected a box he
> called a modem to the cable - with Ethernet and USB A sockets on the
> back.

That doesn't tell me how many computers need to connect to the internet
via the cable box.

> We know a desktop can be connected to the Ethernet - but
> wondered if there were a different "modem" or a box to connect to the
> Ethernet socket to give wireless connection for a laptop etc. It
> seems the kit we require is called an access point..

You are not understanding correctly. You cannot connect separate
computers to the USB and the ethernet ports or separate computers via an
access point.

--
Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Geoff Pearson wrote:

> We know a desktop can be connected to the Ethernet - but
> wondered if there were a different "modem" or a box to connect to the
> Ethernet socket to give wireless connection for a laptop etc. It
> seems the kit we require is called an access point..

I have some experience in shopping for access points and in shopping for
wireless routers with built-in access points.

My experience has been that when buying things on sale at my local very
large electronics/computer store, that it is cheaper to buy a wireless
router with built in access point which can do NAT translations for
multiple computers at the same time including troubleshooting wireless
problems than it is to buy a device which is not a router/NAT translator
but only an AP.

--
Mike Easter

ded

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
> wireless connection through out his flat?

virginmedia provide a full tutorial that answers exactly your question:
http://help2.virginmedia.com/help/ge...upinstructions

why?

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:40:29 +0100, Geoff Pearson wrote:

>My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
>offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
>wireless connection through out his flat?

You may not be surprised to see the VM tutorial mentioned earlier or
asking in the VM newsgroups / exNTL or exBY depending where you are
coming from.

virginmedia.users.self-help.networking
virginmedia.users.self-help
blueyonder.users.self-help.networking
blueyonder.users.self-help

Me

Gazwad

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)>, the beady-eyed-deadbeat and
tragicomical one of them who likes depraved conker wonking with corgis,
and whose partner is a Sidewalk Suzie with an untidy receptacle, wrote
in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give
>> him wireless connection through out his flat?
>>

> A Wireless Access Point.
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/searc...oint&x=13&y=17

You dumb ****.

is but a dream within a dream.