Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Virgin broadband on cable - wifi connection?

Virgin broadband on cable - wifi connection?

Flyer

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
> wireless connection through out his flat?

If he wants to connect more than one PC at the same time, then he needs a
Wireless Cable/DSL Router, not an access point.
To be honest, even with only one pc, he'd be better getting a router rather
than just an access point.

P.

Gazwad

Geoff Pearson <(E-Mail Removed)>, the dreary-floater and macho
shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
<(E-Mail Removed)>:
> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
> wireless connection through out his flat?

Ignore those other two stupid *****.

You want to buy a CABLE router.
When you go into currys tell the stupid sales **** that you have "NTL
Cable".
Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong ****, they're
trained that way.

If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as the
router.

If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy Netgear
although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.

When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug the
router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back on
and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up. If you take more
than 10 minutes to get the thing working then you bought the wrong ****.

is but a dream within a dream.

Alfred

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:40:29 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
>offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
>wireless connection through out his flat?

Something like this
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=F5D7230

why?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:12:05 +0100, Alfred wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:40:29 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
>>offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
>>wireless connection through out his flat?
>>

>Something like this
>http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=F5D7230

OP could do with that (same as box I have), just the F5D7230uk version
instead.

Me

Alfred

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:08:43 GMT, why?

>On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:12:05 +0100, Alfred wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 19:40:29 +0100, "Geoff Pearson"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His modem
>>>offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
>>>wireless connection through out his flat?
>>>

>>Something like this
>>http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=F5D7230

>OP could do with that (same as box I have), just the F5D7230uk version
>instead.

Plenty choices around. I haven't kept up with prices for home kit but
it seems to have got very cheap.

Gordon

"Gazwad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bxeu0s$zhl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)>, the beady-eyed-deadbeat and
> tragicomical one of them who likes depraved conker wonking with corgis,
> and whose partner is a Sidewalk Suzie with an untidy receptacle, wrote
> in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>>> modem offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give
>>> him wireless connection through out his flat?
>>>

>> A Wireless Access Point.
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/searc...oint&x=13&y=17
>>

> You dumb ****.

The OP already HAS a MODEM and is only wanting to connect ONE machine
(AFAICS) so why would he need a ROUTER you STUPID ARSEHOLE?

Gordon

"Gazwad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ykx6l8$fx3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geoff Pearson <(E-Mail Removed)>, the dreary-floater and macho
> shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
> a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>> modem
>> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
>> wireless connection through out his flat?
>>

> Ignore those other two stupid *****.
>
> You want to buy a CABLE router.
> When you go into currys tell the stupid sales **** that you have "NTL
> Cable".
> Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
> sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong ****,
> they're
> trained that way.
>
> If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
> sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as
> the
> router.
>
> If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy
> Netgear
> although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.
>
> When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug
> the
> router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
> the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back
> on
> and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up.

Ignore this stupid mother****er - if the OP uses a WAP he doesn't NEED to
"set it up" - it just WORKS. Stupid dumb PRICK!

Top

Gordon wrote:

> "Gazwad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ykx6l8$fx3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Geoff Pearson <(E-Mail Removed)>, the dreary-floater and macho
>> shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
>> a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>>> modem
>>> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
>>> wireless connection through out his flat?
>>>

>> Ignore those other two stupid *****.
>>
>> You want to buy a CABLE router.
>> When you go into currys tell the stupid sales **** that you have "NTL
>> Cable".
>> Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
>> sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong ****,
>> they're
>> trained that way.
>>
>> If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
>> sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as
>> the
>> router.
>>
>> If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy
>> Netgear
>> although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.
>>
>> When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug
>> the
>> router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
>> the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back
>> on
>> and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up.

> Ignore this stupid mother****er - if the OP uses a WAP he doesn't NEED to
> "set it up" - it just WORKS. Stupid dumb PRICK!

Can you operate a keyboard and be so stupid? You've proven that though
haven't you.

Top

Julie

Gordon wrote:
> "Gazwad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bxeu0s$zhl$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)>, the beady-eyed-deadbeat and
>> tragicomical one of them who likes depraved conker wonking with
>> corgis, and whose partner is a Sidewalk Suzie with an untidy
>> receptacle, wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> A Wireless Access Point.
>>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/searc...oint&x=13&y=17
>>>

>> You dumb ****.
>>

> The OP already HAS a MODEM and is only wanting to connect ONE machine
> (AFAICS) so _why would he need a ROUTER_ you STUPID ARSEHOLE?

You really don't know, do you. Sad.

nobody >

Gordon wrote:
> "Gazwad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ykx6l8$fx3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Geoff Pearson <(E-Mail Removed)>, the dreary-floater and macho
>> shandy who likes hurtful ass opening with maggots, and whose partner is
>> a flash-woman with a whiskerless rug, wrote in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>> My nephew has just been connected to Virgin broadband on cable. His
>>> modem
>>> offers one Ethernet socket. What should he plug into this to give him
>>> wireless connection through out his flat?
>>>

>> Ignore those other two stupid *****.
>>
>> You want to buy a CABLE router.
>> When you go into currys tell the stupid sales **** that you have "NTL
>> Cable".
>> Whatever you do make sure that it doesn't say ADSL on the box they try to
>> sell you, the little bastards always try to sell you the wrong ****,
>> they're
>> trained that way.
>>
>> If you want to connect anything else wirelessly then by all means let them
>> sell you a bundle which includes a USB Wireless dongle thingy as well as
>> the
>> router.
>>
>> If you want thing to go smoothly and to remain trouble free then buy
>> Netgear
>> although they will almost certainly try to force you to buy Belkin crap.
>>
>> When you get the correct box home you simply switch off your modem, plug
>> the
>> router into the mains and use the supplied Ethernet cable to connect from
>> the WAN port on the router to the modem. Switch the modem and router back
>> on
>> and wait a bit then access the router and set it all up.

> Ignore this stupid mother****er - if the OP uses a WAP he doesn't NEED to
> "set it up" - it just WORKS. Stupid dumb PRICK!

You've pointed your finger at the *wrong* Stupid dumb PRICK, twiddles.

Yes, it just may work out of the box.. but there will be no wireless
security, and probably local DNS rather than DNS from the ISP/provider