Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dead pixel

Dead pixel

Matalog

A dead pixel appears in every shot I take at iso 1600, is this normal or in
anyway acceptable?

Matalog

My camera is a 400d.

"Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IRYzi.21052$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A dead pixel appears in every shot I take at iso 1600, is this normal or in
>anyway acceptable?

Savageduck

On 2007-08-25 09:34:54 -0700, "Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> My camera is a 400d.
>

> "Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IRYzi.21052$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A dead pixel appears in every shot I take at iso 1600, is this normal
>> or in anyway acceptable?

Forget the issues of manufacturer until you have to deal with repar or
warranty.
What you haven't made clear, is:
Is the dead pixel on your LCD? If so, unless you are worried about
perrfect equipment, live with it. You should have no effect on computer
or print.
If you are seeing what you believe to be a dead pixel in the same
position on open jpeg or RAW files in your photo editor, you may have a
more serious problem than just a single dead pixel.
This may require warranty referal to the manufacturer.
A single dead pixel on a sensor is unlikely, and would be almost
imposible to detect on a print or on screen.

Matalog

If you can go to alt.binaries.photos.original, I have posted a 100% crop
there. Every 1600 iso shot I take has this red dot (maybe white in the
middle) in the same spot.

Thanks for any help.

Matt.

"Savageduck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> On 2007-08-25 09:34:54 -0700, "Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> My camera is a 400d.
>>

>> "Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:IRYzi.21052$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> A dead pixel appears in every shot I take at iso 1600, is this normal or
>>> in anyway acceptable?

> Forget the issues of manufacturer until you have to deal with repar or
> warranty.
> What you haven't made clear, is:
> Is the dead pixel on your LCD? If so, unless you are worried about
> perrfect equipment, live with it. You should have no effect on computer or
> print.
> If you are seeing what you believe to be a dead pixel in the same position
> on open jpeg or RAW files in your photo editor, you may have a more
> serious problem than just a single dead pixel.
> This may require warranty referal to the manufacturer.
> A single dead pixel on a sensor is unlikely, and would be almost imposible
> to detect on a print or on screen.
> --
> 4

Matalog

And i've just noticed it is showing on iso 200 images too, just not as
noticable. I don't think that it was showing on images when I first took
pictures with this camera.

I have had this camera for 1 1/2 months now and only noticed this today
because photoshop and ACR hide dead pixels. I was using DPP because it
cleans the noise better than ACR and noticed the red spot.

"Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VNZzi.43088$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you can go to alt.binaries.photos.original, I have posted a 100% crop
> there. Every 1600 iso shot I take has this red dot (maybe white in the
> middle) in the same spot.
>

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Matt.
>

> "Savageduck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> On 2007-08-25 09:34:54 -0700, "Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> My camera is a 400d.
>>>

>>> "Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:IRYzi.21052$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Forget the issues of manufacturer until you have to deal with repar or
>> warranty.
>> What you haven't made clear, is:
>> Is the dead pixel on your LCD? If so, unless you are worried about
>> perrfect equipment, live with it. You should have no effect on computer
>> or print.
>> If you are seeing what you believe to be a dead pixel in the same
>> position on open jpeg or RAW files in your photo editor, you may have a
>> more serious problem than just a single dead pixel.
>> This may require warranty referal to the manufacturer.
>> A single dead pixel on a sensor is unlikely, and would be almost
>> imposible to detect on a print or on screen.
>> --
>> 4

Savageduck

On 2007-08-25 10:53:42 -0700, "Matalog" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> And i've just noticed it is showing on iso 200 images too, just not as
> noticable. I don't think that it was showing on images when I first
> took pictures with this camera.
>
> I have had this camera for 1 1/2 months now and only noticed this today
> because photoshop and ACR hide dead pixels. I was using DPP because it
> cleans the noise better than ACR and noticed the red spot.

It seems you have a real sensor problem, not just high ISO noise. I
think the time has come to test the Canon warranty. I would demand a
replacement. or maybe they would compensate you for all your anguish
with a bright shiney 3DsMIII
Good luck