Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > mouse pointer drift on vista

mouse pointer drift on vista

deno

I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.

I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and
that there is little that can be done about it. I did find an
updated driver, but that didn't help, and I don't find much of
anything useful in the way of web searching.

I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse
pointer behave better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the
house, as in taking it out of the humidity. I say illusion
because sometimes it behaves in either case, but most of the time
it doesn't, either air conditioned or not.

Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have
thought of eliminating Vista.

deno

WhzzKdd

"deno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46cf1f58$0$4706$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the touch pad
>mouse does/did. I disabled that.
>
> I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and that
> there is little that can be done about it. I did find an updated driver,
> but that didn't help, and I don't find much of anything useful in the way
> of web searching.
>
> I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse pointer behave
> better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the house, as in taking it out
> of the humidity. I say illusion because sometimes it behaves in either
> case, but most of the time it doesn't, either air conditioned or not.
>
> Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have thought of
> eliminating Vista.

Never seen it. Not in any PC, laptop, or any version of Windows I'v used. My
mouse pointers stay exactly where I leave them when I let go of the mouse.
Or is that not what you're yakking about?

deno

WhzzKdd wrote:
> "deno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46cf1f58$0$4706$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the touch pad
>> mouse does/did. I disabled that.
>>
>> I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and that
>> there is little that can be done about it. I did find an updated driver,
>> but that didn't help, and I don't find much of anything useful in the way
>> of web searching.
>>
>> I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse pointer behave
>> better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the house, as in taking it out
>> of the humidity. I say illusion because sometimes it behaves in either
>> case, but most of the time it doesn't, either air conditioned or not.
>>
>> Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have thought of
>> eliminating Vista.
>>

> Never seen it. Not in any PC, laptop, or any version of Windows I'v used. My
> mouse pointers stay exactly where I leave them when I let go of the mouse.
> Or is that not what you're yakking about?

Yes, I'm yakking about when I let go of the mouse, the pointer
always drifts until it reaches the edge of the screen.

GJ

My Toshiba laptop does this too. It settles down after a few seconds
though.. I've been wondering also why this happens. The humidity explanation
would apply to me if that is the cause. It does get humid in my neck of the
woods.

Mr. Arnold

"GJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My Toshiba laptop does this too. It settles down after a few seconds
> though.. I've been wondering also why this happens. The humidity
> explanation would apply to me if that is the cause. It does get humid in
> my neck of the woods.

I am using the mouse pad, but most of the time I am using an USB wireless
mouse on Vista on an HP laptop with no such problems, with either one of
them.

deno

deno wrote:
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>> "deno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:46cf1f58$0$4706$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
>>> touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.
>>>
>>> I've heard that this can be due to fluctuations in humidity, and that
>>> there is little that can be done about it. I did find an updated
>>> driver, but that didn't help, and I don't find much of anything
>>> useful in the way of web searching.
>>>
>>> I at least have the illusion that this laptop and its mouse pointer
>>> behave better in a dry air conditioned car, or in the house, as in
>>> taking it out of the humidity. I say illusion because sometimes it
>>> behaves in either case, but most of the time it doesn't, either air
>>> conditioned or not.
>>>
>>> Anyone know of a solution? And before you say it, yes, I have thought
>>> of eliminating Vista.
>>>

>> Never seen it. Not in any PC, laptop, or any version of Windows I'v
>> used. My mouse pointers stay exactly where I leave them when I let go
>> of the mouse. Or is that not what you're yakking about?
>>

> Yes, I'm yakking about when I let go of the mouse, the pointer always
> drifts until it reaches the edge of the screen.

and I probably should have added it's an optical usb mouse.

Plato

deno wrote:

> I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
> touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.

Try a different mouse. Same thing?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Ryka

"Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
news:46cf6f3d$0$98921$(E-Mail Removed)...
> deno wrote:
>>
>> I bought a mini usb mouse for my laptop. It drifts just like the
>> touch pad mouse does/did. I disabled that.

> Try a different mouse. Same thing?

I have the same problem with Vista. I have the wireless mouse and keyboard
with a desktop. Even when I have my hand on the mouse the pointer will
suddenly dart to the side of the screen! I then changed the keyboard and
mouse to the ones that came with my computer - and the same thing happened.
So, it's not the wireless features. Have no idea why it does it - will go
days without acting erratic and then for a day or so it will dart away. Have
read in the M$ ngs that other have the problem too but I haven't read of a
solution yet. Any ideas?

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Ryka" <Ryka@dancin'shoes.com> wrote:

>I have the same problem with Vista. I have the wireless mouse and keyboard
>with a desktop. Even when I have my hand on the mouse the pointer will
>suddenly dart to the side of the screen! I then changed the keyboard and
>mouse to the ones that came with my computer - and the same thing happened.

I guess it's a feature now. This happens to a lot of people under XP
using an optical mouse.

XP tho darts to the left then down (or up) to the start menu.

I've watched it do this lots - thinking about it, it hasn't
happened since I bought a new mouse.
--

Guy picked the wrong night to take up streaking
http://cbs13.com/topstories/local_story_235083033.html

Correcting for Drift between Two Dates W. eWatson Python 2 09-09-2008 11:22 AM
TimerTask drift away Mitschu Java 2 04-28-2008 11:15 AM
Simulating clock drift bwilson79@gmail.com VHDL 1 07-27-2007 12:56 AM
time coversions and effect of time drift. Ram C Programming 1 12-02-2005 06:47 AM

Advertisments