Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Changing file sorting in File Allocation Table?

Changing file sorting in File Allocation Table?

mbisping

Hello,

I have a media player with a FAT32 hard drive.
http://www.yukai.eu/html/prod_pmc/PVR-H240.html

For some reason the developers didn't think it was necessary that the
firmware sorts file names, which is cumbersome, as I get
12 - xx
02 - xx
01 -xxx
03 -xxx

etc.
Apparently, they just display the entries as they are found in the
FAT, even copying files in the right order with their special software
didn't help.
The support line said that the way it is at the moment, an update
might take quite some time.
So, I wonder if one could maybe change the file sorting directly in
the file allocation table as a workaround for this weird behaviour.

cesar

mbisping wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a media player with a FAT32 hard drive.
> http://www.yukai.eu/html/prod_pmc/PVR-H240.html
>
> For some reason the developers didn't think it was necessary that the
> firmware sorts file names, which is cumbersome, as I get
> 12 - xx
> 02 - xx
> 01 -xxx
> 03 -xxx
>
> etc.
> Apparently, they just display the entries as they are found in the
> FAT, even copying files in the right order with their special software
> didn't help.
> The support line said that the way it is at the moment, an update
> might take quite some time.
> So, I wonder if one could maybe change the file sorting directly in
> the file allocation table as a workaround for this weird behaviour.

Try with FATsort (http://hem.passagen.se/chsw/fatsort/index.html).

Works perfect with my iriver T-10 and Windows XP.

HTH