Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What kind of audio files are these and where are they being stored?

What kind of audio files are these and where are they being stored?

Scott Dorsey

Doc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
>other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
>they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.

I have NO idea why this is crossposted to rec.audio.pro, but going to
the "view source" function in your browser will tell you all you want
to know and probably more.
--scott

Mike Easter

Doc wrote:

> I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
> other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
> they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.

Do you have your hidden files viewing enabled? I can see the mp3s that
play from that site in my temp internet files.

If you are crossposting to 24hshd and you aren't reading here, then I
guess you don't know what is going on. ToobadSosad.

--
Mike Easter - anti-crossposter
Any crossposting with which I disagree

Tester

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:58:19 -0700, Doc <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Aug 23, 12:07 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>> This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on your
>> unit.
>> The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8

>No, it must be stored somewhere on the computer. There's a long
>download process on the first pass - again, I'm o 56k dialup - but
>immediate playback any other time.
>
>I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
>other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
>they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.

You might try:

1) URL Snooper (includes WinPCap) - this is a kind of packet sniffer
which tells which files your computer is asking for

2) If you're using Firefox, and maybe Mozilla/Netscape there's an
Unplug addon which shows media file links on a page.

3) If you're using IE under XP, the browser cache is usually at

"C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary
Internet Files\Content.IE5" and then there are directories below there
and the files have their online name or something very similar.

Firefox/Netscape caches are more complicated to search because the
files have different names.

I believe there are cache explorer programs for both browsers.

Vanguard

"Doc" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

Note: Unrelated newsgroups removed from reply. Newsgroups changed
from:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
alt.os.windows-xp
24hoursupport.helpdesk
rec.audio.pro
to:
24hoursupport.helpdesk

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>> This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on
>> your
>> unit.
>> The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8

> No, it must be stored somewhere on the computer. There's a long
> download process on the first pass - again, I'm o 56k dialup - but
> immediate playback any other time.

Wrong. Regardless of your claim, there is no requirement that the
audio file be on your host. You keep making claims and then exposing
that you haven't a clue how you are receiving the audio or from where
you are playing it. You downloaded the pointer file which tells your
browser where to find the audio content. The configuration of
whatever player you defined to play the audio type is buffering the
streamed audio (i.e., it downloads some of the data stream before
beginning play mode).

> I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
> other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
> they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.

Which further proves you are retrieving streaming audio. Go read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_audio

Streaming is one method used to keep users like yourself from stealing
content. It can be bypassed by recording the data stream at the
client end.

Daave

dadiOH wrote:
> Doc wrote:
>> Going to this page - click on the blue icon - obviously the files
>> are being stored somewhere on my system, since they play back
>> immediately whenever I go back to the site - I'm on 56k dialup.
>> However, I look for *.mp3 and come up with nothing, nor do I find
>> them searching by size and date. As good as they sound, they must
>> be large.

> As another poster said, they are stored in "temporary internet files".
> Size and quality may vary according to the speed of your
> connection...with my broadband they are 160 kbps. With your dial up
> they may be - but not necessarily are - lower in kbps so that the
> downloading speed can keep up with or surpass the playing.

Keerect!

And to OP:

The reason you can't see them is that you need to be able to view hidden
files:

Right-click Start > Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and
Folders > Hidden Files and Folders > check Show Hidden Files and Folders

Daave

Vanguard wrote:
> "Doc" wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> This maybe what is called "streaming audio", not being stored on
>>> your
>>> unit.
>>> The player being used on the site: Wimpy Player v 5.3.8

>> No, it must be stored somewhere on the computer. There's a long
>> download process on the first pass - again, I'm o 56k dialup - but
>> immediate playback any other time.

> Wrong. Regardless of your claim, there is no requirement that the
> audio file be on your host. You keep making claims and then exposing
> that you haven't a clue how you are receiving the audio or from where
> you are playing it.

He's not clueless. He has correctly concluded that since he's on dialup
and "[t]here's a long download process on the first pass," it's probably
*not* an instance of streaming. And if you would visit the Web site (
http://jordynshellhart.com/music.htm ), you would see this is true.

> You downloaded the pointer file which tells your
> browser where to find the audio content. The configuration of
> whatever player you defined to play the audio type is buffering the
> streamed audio (i.e., it downloads some of the data stream before
> beginning play mode).

Interesting theory, but not supported by the facts.

>> I don't find them as .mp3's which makes me think they must be some
>> other kind of file, perhaps native to the player? But I would think
>> they're going to be around the same size as .mp3s.

> Which further proves you are retrieving streaming audio.

It does nothing of the kind! A better theory would be that OP has
disabled the showing of hidden files and folders.

> Streaming is one method used to keep users like yourself from stealing
> content.

Stealing is a rather strong term!

> It can be bypassed by recording the data stream at the client end.

It's also possible to download streaming content.

Doc

On Aug 23, 2:05 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> I have NO idea why this is crossposted to rec.audio.pro,

Because it seems reasonable to theorize that people who do audio
production might have some experience with internet audio issues. Feel
complimented - I give you credit for likely having a broad base of
experience.

> but going to
> the "view source" function in your browser will tell you all you want
> to know and probably more.

Well, under this heading

<!-- START WIMPY PLAYER CODE -->

I find what appear to be .mp3 titles

http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/01%20The%20Knot%20Comes%20Untied.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/02%20Hey%20Cowboy.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/03%20Why%20Do%20They%20Call%20It%20Blue.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/04%20Whats%20a%20Girl%20Gotta%20Do.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/05%20Girls%20World.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/06%20Sing%20You%20Back.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/07%20Daddys%20Credit%20Card.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/08%20Only%20Hope.mp3"
/>

But don't find any of these by doing a search using *.mp3 on my C
drive, nor under any of the titles listed.

Richard Crowley

"Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> On Aug 23, 2:05 pm, (E-Mail Removed) (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> I have NO idea why this is crossposted to rec.audio.pro,

> Because it seems reasonable to theorize that people who do audio
> production might have some experience with internet audio issues. Feel
> complimented - I give you credit for likely having a broad base of
> experience.
>

>> but going to
>> the "view source" function in your browser will tell you all you want
>> to know and probably more.

> Well, under this heading
>
> <!-- START WIMPY PLAYER CODE -->
>

> I find what appear to be .mp3 titles
>
> http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/01%20The%20Knot%20Comes%20Untied.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/02%20Hey%20Cowboy.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/03%20Why%20Do%20They%20Call%20It%20Blue.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/04%20Whats%20a%20Girl%20Gotta%20Do.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/05%20Girls%20World.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/06%20Sing%20You%20Back.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/07%20Daddys%20Credit%20Card.mp3|http://www.jordynshellhart.com/music/08%20Only%20Hope.mp3"
> />
>

> But don't find any of these by doing a search using *.mp3 on my C
> drive, nor under any of the titles listed.

Search on Windows Explorer doesn't necessarily search EVERY
directory on the drive, especially special Windows directories
such as caches like this.

Doc

On Aug 23, 3:58 pm, "Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The reason you can't see them is that you need to be able to view hidden
> files:
>
> Right-click Start > Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and
> Folders > Hidden Files and Folders > check Show Hidden Files and Folders

I appreciate the input but that's how it's already set.

caver1

Doc wrote:
> On Aug 23, 3:58 pm, "Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> The reason you can't see them is that you need to be able to view hidden
>> files:
>>
>> Right-click Start > Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > Files and
>> Folders > Hidden Files and Folders > check Show Hidden Files and Folders

> I appreciate the input but that's how it's already set.

When you do a search you have to tell it to search hidden fileseven if
you have the folder options to show hidden files.
caver1