Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus rolls out a slew of mediocre P&S cameras

Olympus rolls out a slew of mediocre P&S cameras

Rich

How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
5060s and then see this stuff:
http://dpreview.com/
it makes me sick.

Dave Cohen

Rich wrote:
> How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
> 5060s and then see this stuff:
> http://dpreview.com/
> it makes me sick.

We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
you have us do.
Dave Cohen

Kalinka

On 23 Aug, 17:21, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
> > 5060s and then see this stuff:
> >http://dpreview.com/
> > it makes me sick.

> We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
> you have us do.
> Dave Cohen

luckily I have the 550, so why would I bother with the 560 ?

Rich

On Aug 23, 11:21 am, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich wrote:
> > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
> > 5060s and then see this stuff:
> >http://dpreview.com/
> > it makes me sick.

> We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
> you have us do.
> Dave Cohen

Demand a 20 megapixel, 1/2.5" sensored P&S?

Charles

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:27:51 -0700, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
>5060s and then see this stuff:
>http://dpreview.com/
>it makes me sick.

Let me contribute to your sickness, I bought one. Not the models
listed here, an earlier one. It works fine for making visual notes of
things that I want notes for. When I get the creative urge I can drag
out one of the better cameras, but to have something in the glove box
of the car, these suit my purpose quite nicely.

Rich

On Aug 23, 12:30 pm, Charles <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:27:51 -0700, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
> >5060s and then see this stuff:
> >http://dpreview.com/
> >it makes me sick.

> Let me contribute to your sickness, I bought one. Not the models
> listed here, an earlier one. It works fine for making visual notes of
> things that I want notes for. When I get the creative urge I can drag
> out one of the better cameras, but to have something in the glove box
> of the car, these suit my purpose quite nicely.

Honestly, it used to matter if you bought an Olympus P&S instead of
say a Samsung because you could be assured of getting something unique
and of high quality. You KNEW you owned an Olympus. Today, it
doesn't matter.
Kodak, Samsung, Canon, Panasonic, Ricoh, Pentax, Nikon, Olympus.
P&Ss are cookie-cutter clutter on big-box store shelves.

Bill Tuthill

Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
> 5060s and then see this stuff:
> http://dpreview.com/
> it makes me sick.

Was Olympus ever mighty? I never owned one, but whenever I got
images from a friend with an Olympus digicam, it seemed to require
far more color/gamma correction than images from any other brand.

ASAAR

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:30:56 GMT, Charles wrote:

>> How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
>> 5060s and then see this stuff:
>> http://dpreview.com/
>> it makes me sick.

> Let me contribute to your sickness, I bought one. Not the models
> listed here, an earlier one. It works fine for making visual notes of
> things that I want notes for.

I used a P&S that way several days ago to copy some interesting
writing in an NYC subway car. Not wanting to use the flash, I
boosted the ISO to 800, realizing that the image quality wouldn't be
very good, but I only wanted to capture the text. It turned out to
work better than I expected for making notes.

> To You
> STRANGER! if you, passing, meet me, and desire to speak to me,
> why should you not speak to me?
> And why should I not speak to you?

The author's name couldn't be seen inside the train, and I
supposed it was written by a local writer. Similar writings and
poems are often on display in the cars. When I was able to enlarge
the picture on a computer, the name and some (not all) other
information, small, very grainy, but legible could be made out :

> Walt Whitman
> (1819-1892)
> (undecipherable) from (looks like "Leaves of Grass") (date) ed.
>
> MTA New York City Transit in cooperation with
> the POETRY SOCIETY of AMERICA

Rich

On Aug 23, 1:19 pm, Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
> > 5060s and then see this stuff:
> >http://dpreview.com/
> > it makes me sick.

> Was Olympus ever mighty? I never owned one, but whenever I got
> images from a friend with an Olympus digicam, it seemed to require
> far more color/gamma correction than images from any other brand.

I would say in the early 2000s they and Nikon dominated the quality
P&S category.

Dave Cohen

Rich wrote:
> On Aug 23, 11:21 am, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Rich wrote:
>>> How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
>>> 5060s and then see this stuff:
>>> http://dpreview.com/
>>> it makes me sick.

>> We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
>> you have us do.
>> Dave Cohen

> Demand a 20 megapixel, 1/2.5" sensored P&S?

And who would listen? They've figured out if they up the mp they can
sell more.
While I certainly don't need 12mp, if I had to get another camera today
(like mine went kaput), I would be very attracted to the canon A650 IS.
I suppose there's no harm in having those extra pixels until you start
to notice noise with increasing iso setting, maybe that assumption isn't
correct though, I don't really know.
Yes, the bodies are getting more flimsy but are serviceable as long as
you don't subject them to rough handling. I can live with that, a
professional probably couldn't.
Dave Cohen