Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > VOIP > SIP settings for external usage.

SIP settings for external usage.

chamberlain.anthony@gmail.com

Hello. We have a LAN connected to a WAN and we are using 7960 SIP
Phones. For privacy purposes I want to protect our actual IP so I will
refer to our addresses as W.Y.Y.n (n will be an actual number). These
means we have network W.X.Y and n is the different IP addresses. As a
matter of fact, when I refer to IP address n I actually will mean
W.X.Y.n And we actually have netmask 255.255.255.248 which limits us
to 7 addresses. The WAN shows IP address W.X.Y.142 with a peer of
W.X.Z.254 (Z != Y) The LAN shows IP address of W.X.Y.137 This gives us
138-141 to use as IP addresses for the SIP phone, terminals, etc. As
an experiment, I tried all the addresses from 138 to 141 with a
terminal. I SSHed into the machine where our SIP proxy is, and did a
who. No matter what the terminal address was, the who always showed us
as coming from W.X.Y.142. So say, for instance, we make the SIP
address 138. The invitation will come from 138, but the machine thinks
it is 142, so SIP calls won't work. Any idea how to make the actual IP
address match the viewed IP address?

Oh, the router in the sip phone is set to 42

Someone

Looks like you're using NAT. You should be using Cone NAT in your router. I
prefer Port Restricted Cone NAT for this. The one thing you need to think
about is an Application Layer Gateway. SIP has addressing deep in their
headers such as the transport or SDP addressing and ports that may need to
be considered.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...