Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Converting from an ISP ADSL USB Modem Line to a Wireless Setup

Converting from an ISP ADSL USB Modem Line to a Wireless Setup

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnl3?=

Hi, (UK)
First of all I will try to clarify what I am trying to do.

The ISP setup is via a ADSL line (and DSL Filter) through a modem which is
connected to my computer using a USB cable.

I have now got a laptop and another desktop computer in another room which
is why I want to setup a wireless network. I purchased this ADSL 'Netgear'
DG384G Broadband Wireless Router Modem and tried to connect it to the
'Tiscali' ADSL line after taking the USB modem offline.

I connected the DG384G using a standard Telephone cable (through a ADSL
filter) and also an Ethernet cable from my computer to the DG384G and run the
configuration setup on the DG383G by inputting the IP Address (192.168.0.1)
using I.E.

All the relevant lights on the DG384G are lit (Power, Internet, Transmission
and LAN port) but the Internet light is blinking an orange light instead of
green like the others which I means it is trying to get a connection to the
Internet.

I setup all the usual configuration items such as, IP adresses, Subnet Mask,
Gateway, DNS etc for the ADSL Port, the LAN, the Modem and the Wireless Port
and the only thing that did not show up as connected was the ADSL Port IP
address, the Subnet Mask IP address, the Gateway IP address and the Domain
Server IP address. Even though I set them statically in the ADSL
configuration setup they were not present when I opened the 'Router Status'
window.

Could this be the problem and if you think that it could be, is there anyway
to fix it, or do you think that something else is causing the connection
error?

Regards
Gerryw

=?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=

"Gerryw" wrote:

> Hi, (UK)
> First of all I will try to clarify what I am trying to do.
>
> The ISP setup is via a ADSL line (and DSL Filter) through a modem which is
> connected to my computer using a USB cable.
>
> I have now got a laptop and another desktop computer in another room which
> is why I want to setup a wireless network. I purchased this ADSL 'Netgear'
> DG384G Broadband Wireless Router Modem and tried to connect it to the
> 'Tiscali' ADSL line after taking the USB modem offline.
>
> I connected the DG384G using a standard Telephone cable (through a ADSL
> filter) and also an Ethernet cable from my computer to the DG384G and run the
> configuration setup on the DG383G by inputting the IP Address (192.168.0.1)
> using I.E.
>
> All the relevant lights on the DG384G are lit (Power, Internet, Transmission
> and LAN port) but the Internet light is blinking an orange light instead of
> green like the others which I means it is trying to get a connection to the
> Internet.
>
> I setup all the usual configuration items such as, IP adresses, Subnet Mask,
> Gateway, DNS etc for the ADSL Port, the LAN, the Modem and the Wireless Port
> and the only thing that did not show up as connected was the ADSL Port IP
> address, the Subnet Mask IP address, the Gateway IP address and the Domain
> Server IP address. Even though I set them statically in the ADSL
> configuration setup they were not present when I opened the 'Router Status'
> window.
>
> Could this be the problem and if you think that it could be, is there anyway
> to fix it, or do you think that something else is causing the connection
> error?
>
> Regards
> Gerryw

Hi Gerry,
Why are you using a static IP address and DHCP, does your ISP provide you
with these settings or you thought static will make it easy?.
Did you used the Original machine was connecting to the ADSL Modem, as some
ISP will lock the MAC address for the first machine you installed the ADSL
Modem as a method of authentication (not always).
Try this scenario:
WALL Plug ----> ADSL Modem ----> ADSL 'Netgear' Router----> PC to access
the Router configuration page and the wizard and make sure the IP address ,
DNS are Auto from your ISP and also enable the DHCP server to assign IP
address to these machine.
Wait a minute in the Last step then click Home page for the Router.
Did you implement an Encryption method to secure your Wireless network?.
Read the PDF set up instruction on the CD came with the Router.
Set up a wireless network
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u.../wireless.mspx
Wireless by Barb Bowman
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ssecurity.mspx
Charlie Russel,Using a Wireless Laptop at Work and at Hom
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...letlaptop.mspx

HTH.
nass
------