Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrading to 64-Bit

Upgrading to 64-Bit

Clayton

My system now supports 64-Bit OS including all Drivers and additional
hardware, Webcam, Scanner, Printer and Digital Camera.
I also have software that supports 64-Bit, Antivirus etc

Is it worth the move?

Tony Sperling

XP x64 is a wonder of stabillity. Some rather ordinary things do show off
better performance - even 32bit stuff, like the FlightSimulator. With most
things you probably won't notice any difference beyond the way that it's
chugging along without ever complaining.

If it really is worth the cost and effort depends on if you want to be able
to benchmark a speed benefit - something to show off - in this case, NO!

Tony. . .

"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My system now supports 64-Bit OS including all Drivers and additional
> hardware, Webcam, Scanner, Printer and Digital Camera.
> I also have software that supports 64-Bit, Antivirus etc
>
> Is it worth the move?

John Barnes

I agree, but would add that I have found Vista64 more trouble than Vista32.
Signed driver requirement is one problem, but my wife's Vista32 just works,
while my Vista64 has periodic problems. XP64 is based on the server code,
and that may be why it is so stable.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP x64 is a wonder of stabillity. Some rather ordinary things do show off
> better performance - even 32bit stuff, like the FlightSimulator. With most
> things you probably won't notice any difference beyond the way that it's
> chugging along without ever complaining.
>
> If it really is worth the cost and effort depends on if you want to be
> able
> to benchmark a speed benefit - something to show off - in this case, NO!
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My system now supports 64-Bit OS including all Drivers and additional
>> hardware, Webcam, Scanner, Printer and Digital Camera.
>> I also have software that supports 64-Bit, Antivirus etc
>>
>> Is it worth the move?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Now see, I have the exact opposite experience here. My Ferrari just works,
running Vista 64. My wife's Vista 32 is a source of pain and annoyance.

But neither is as rock solid as XP x64, frankly. Ah, well, the price of
progress, I guess.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree, but would add that I have found Vista64 more trouble than Vista32.
>Signed driver requirement is one problem, but my wife's Vista32 just works,
>while my Vista64 has periodic problems. XP64 is based on the server code,
>and that may be why it is so stable.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> XP x64 is a wonder of stabillity. Some rather ordinary things do show off
>> better performance - even 32bit stuff, like the FlightSimulator. With
>> most
>> things you probably won't notice any difference beyond the way that it's
>> chugging along without ever complaining.
>>
>> If it really is worth the cost and effort depends on if you want to be
>> able
>> to benchmark a speed benefit - something to show off - in this case, NO!
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>

>> "Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My system now supports 64-Bit OS including all Drivers and additional
>>> hardware, Webcam, Scanner, Printer and Digital Camera.
>>> I also have software that supports 64-Bit, Antivirus etc
>>>
>>> Is it worth the move?

XS11E

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> but would add that I have found Vista64 more trouble than
> Vista32.

I have to disagree, I had Vista64 running perfectly and now I have a
new computer with Vista32 installed and nothing but grief. Hardware
that was trouble free in Vista64 won't install in Vista32, go figure?

=?Utf-8?B?cGhhdDI4dnI2?=

I run both 32 and 64 bit vista. Neither has been 100% trouble free. x32 bit
seems to be network probs and x64 has had internet/network/DVD probs BUT all
in all to be honest i has more probs when i first installed XP Pro!!! In
fairness both installs have gone into brand new custom built PCs. The one x64
prob that cause a headache was the screen saver coming on during a defrag and
locking up the PC, after trying to restart several times, last good config,
etc, etc it did eventually start.

"XS11E" wrote:

> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > but would add that I have found Vista64 more trouble than
> > Vista32.

> I have to disagree, I had Vista64 running perfectly and now I have a
> new computer with Vista32 installed and nothing but grief. Hardware
> that was trouble free in Vista64 won't install in Vista32, go figure?

> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Clayton

So you think X64 is better than Vista64?

"phat28vr6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I run both 32 and 64 bit vista. Neither has been 100% trouble free. x32 bit
> seems to be network probs and x64 has had internet/network/DVD probs BUT
> all
> in all to be honest i has more probs when i first installed XP Pro!!! In
> fairness both installs have gone into brand new custom built PCs. The one
> x64
> prob that cause a headache was the screen saver coming on during a defrag
> and
> locking up the PC, after trying to restart several times, last good
> config,
> etc, etc it did eventually start.
>
> "XS11E" wrote:
>
>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> > but would add that I have found Vista64 more trouble than
>> > Vista32.

>> I have to disagree, I had Vista64 running perfectly and now I have a
>> new computer with Vista32 installed and nothing but grief. Hardware
>> that was trouble free in Vista64 won't install in Vista32, go figure?
>>

>> --
>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Charlie Russel - MVP

Different. Better? Well, I'm running Vista 64bit on 4 out of five of my
64bit machines in preference to XP x64. But some of that is just because of
what I do, not really a reflection of merit. There are things I like about
each.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So you think X64 is better than Vista64?
>

> "phat28vr6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I run both 32 and 64 bit vista. Neither has been 100% trouble free. x32
>>bit
>> seems to be network probs and x64 has had internet/network/DVD probs BUT
>> all
>> in all to be honest i has more probs when i first installed XP Pro!!! In
>> fairness both installs have gone into brand new custom built PCs. The one
>> x64
>> prob that cause a headache was the screen saver coming on during a defrag
>> and
>> locking up the PC, after trying to restart several times, last good
>> config,
>> etc, etc it did eventually start.

>>> I have to disagree, I had Vista64 running perfectly and now I have a
>>> new computer with Vista32 installed and nothing but grief. Hardware
>>> that was trouble free in Vista64 won't install in Vista32, go figure?
>>>

>>> --
>>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

=?Utf-8?B?cGhhdDI4dnI2?=

Misunderstanding lol, x64 IS vista 64 i was talking about. Vista 64 is faster
than the 32 bit version, BUT both are fast IMO. If fast is better for you
then yes.
At the moment both are trouble free and more importantly stable. However, of
the 2 i would say the 32 version has had the least probs, maybe i just sorted
the problems out quicker, like i said b4 these were mostly network probs. Bit
of advice, do your fresh installs with NO UPDATES, do them later otherwise
you will never know if the updates are causing a problem!
All in all both have had probs, only a few, usually niggling ones that
havent been obvious and have took a while to sort. Of the 2 versions I prefer
x64.

My advice would be go for it.

"Clayton" wrote:

> So you think X64 is better than Vista64?
>

> "phat28vr6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I run both 32 and 64 bit vista. Neither has been 100% trouble free. x32 bit
> > seems to be network probs and x64 has had internet/network/DVD probs BUT
> > all
> > in all to be honest i has more probs when i first installed XP Pro!!! In
> > fairness both installs have gone into brand new custom built PCs. The one
> > x64
> > prob that cause a headache was the screen saver coming on during a defrag
> > and
> > locking up the PC, after trying to restart several times, last good
> > config,
> > etc, etc it did eventually start.

> >> I have to disagree, I had Vista64 running perfectly and now I have a
> >> new computer with Vista32 installed and nothing but grief. Hardware
> >> that was trouble free in Vista64 won't install in Vista32, go figure?
> >>

> >> --
> >> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
> >> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Mark

I run specialized software optimized for x64.
XP or Vista itself have proven no better for it.
Comparing x64 to x86, it's clearly night and day. But, this is specialized
software and hardware that is extremely math intensive for simulating
nuclear power plant thermohydraulics.

At home, I can't tell the difference.
Vista32 and 64 have a lot of annoyance factors, but once things are as you
want, they kind of disappear.
I was strongly surprised that Vista64 was so well supported in drivers.
(Compared to XP64 early days.) But, as far as applications, they are still
all 32 bit and, if clocked, probably run slightly slower. Not very good
anti-virus support (although there is some: NOD32.) Firewall support is a
joke unless you're a techie: Sphinx. Beyond that I would have to say I've
had the same experience with both. I only run with it to support my work.

"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So you think X64 is better than Vista64?
>

> "phat28vr6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I run both 32 and 64 bit vista. Neither has been 100% trouble free. x32
>>bit
>> seems to be network probs and x64 has had internet/network/DVD probs BUT
>> all
>> in all to be honest i has more probs when i first installed XP Pro!!! In
>> fairness both installs have gone into brand new custom built PCs. The one
>> x64
>> prob that cause a headache was the screen saver coming on during a defrag
>> and
>> locking up the PC, after trying to restart several times, last good
>> config,
>> etc, etc it did eventually start.

>>> I have to disagree, I had Vista64 running perfectly and now I have a
>>> new computer with Vista32 installed and nothing but grief. Hardware
>>> that was trouble free in Vista64 won't install in Vista32, go figure?
>>>

>>> --
>>> XS11E, Killing all posts from Google Groups
>>> The Usenet Improvement Project: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Advice on Upgrading of Section of LAN to Wireless Drew Wireless Networking 6 08-19-2005 06:48 PM
Laptop won't connect to internet after upgrading to SP2 =?Utf-8?B?am9obm55X3dheg==?= Wireless Networking 1 07-31-2005 02:35 AM
Video card Upgrading Poppn Hardware 15 07-09-2005 04:25 AM
Upgrading to high speed, FAQ? David Wireless Networking 4 11-09-2004 08:43 PM
Upgrading LadySpudz Firefox 2 05-04-2004 11:24 AM

Advertisments