Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Still not secured?

Still not secured?

=?Utf-8?B?TGFyYWJlbGxl?=

Hi, we've set up a wireless home network using a USB device, and it was
really easy... but when I connect my laptop on the network, the name of our
network pops up in the bottom taskbar, but it says in brackets that it's
unsecured. When I look at the available networks, it also clearly says that
our network is unsecured.

I went to the desktop computer and checked our wireless network settings and
it says the following:
Network Name (SSID): [our personlised network name]
Network key (WEP/WPA key): [long alpha numeric string]
Key Provided automatically (802.1x): 0
Network Authentication type: open
Data Encryption type: WEP
Connection type: ESS
Key index:

So it looks like we have at least WEP encryption enabled...or do we? Will
our network be accessable by the neighbors? What's the step that we've
missed to secure the network properly?

Any help is very much welcomed!

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If your neighbors are not geeks that know how to Hack WEP you are somewhat
secure with WEP.
From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
No Security
WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
your Wireless hardware.
phrase.
of one of the Wireless devices.
device with a better one.
http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Larabelle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, we've set up a wireless home network using a USB device, and it was
> really easy... but when I connect my laptop on the network, the name of
> our
> network pops up in the bottom taskbar, but it says in brackets that it's
> unsecured. When I look at the available networks, it also clearly says
> that
> our network is unsecured.
>
> I went to the desktop computer and checked our wireless network settings
> and
> it says the following:
> Network Name (SSID): [our personlised network name]
> Network key (WEP/WPA key): [long alpha numeric string]
> Key Provided automatically (802.1x): 0
> Network Authentication type: open
> Data Encryption type: WEP
> Connection type: ESS
> Key index:
>
> So it looks like we have at least WEP encryption enabled...or do we? Will
> our network be accessable by the neighbors? What's the step that we've
> missed to secure the network properly?
>
> Any help is very much welcomed!

maxtaurus1

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> If your neighbors are not geeks that know how to Hack WEP you are somewhat
> secure with WEP.
> From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
> No Security
> MAC______(Band Aid if nothing else is available).
> WEP64____(Easy, to "Brake" by knowledgeable people).
> WEP128___(A little Harder, but "Hackable" too).
> WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Brake ).
> WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
> WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
> Note 1: WPA-AES the the current entry level rendition of WPA2.
> Note 2: If you use WinXP and did not updated it you would have to download
> the WPA2 patch from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357
> The documentation of your Wireless devices (Wireless Router, and Wireless
> Computer's Card) should state the type of security that is available with
> your Wireless hardware.
> All devices MUST be set to the same security level using the same pass
> phrase.
> Therefore the security must be set according what ever is the best possible
> of one of the Wireless devices.
> I.e. even if most of your system might be capable to be configured to the
> max. with WPA2, but one device is only capable to be configured to max . of
> WEP, to whole system must be configured to WEP.
> If you need more good security and one device (like a Wireless card that can
> do WEP only) is holding better security for the whole Network, replace the
> device with a better one.
> Setting Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> The Core differences between WEP, WPA, and WPA2 -
> http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Larabelle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, we've set up a wireless home network using a USB device, and it was
> > really easy... but when I connect my laptop on the network, the name of
> > our
> > network pops up in the bottom taskbar, but it says in brackets that it's
> > unsecured. When I look at the available networks, it also clearly says
> > that
> > our network is unsecured.
> >
> > I went to the desktop computer and checked our wireless network settings
> > and
> > it says the following:
> > Network Name (SSID): [our personlised network name]
> > Network key (WEP/WPA key): [long alpha numeric string]
> > Key Provided automatically (802.1x): 0
> > Network Authentication type: open
> > Data Encryption type: WEP
> > Connection type: ESS
> > Key index:
> >
> > So it looks like we have at least WEP encryption enabled...or do we? Will
> > our network be accessable by the neighbors? What's the step that we've
> > missed to secure the network properly?
> >
> > Any help is very much welcomed!

Still using Netscape 4.7x and not Thunderbird because.... Bill Bonde ('by a commodius vicus of recirculation') Firefox 16 07-27-2005 10:55 PM
Mozilla: Can I still keep IE and outlook? Or still vulnerable to viruses? lbbss Computer Support 6 08-16-2004 11:55 PM
Real Player still not found :-) Paul Williamson Firefox 10 12-12-2003 02:02 PM
Still not working Mike John ASP .Net 1 07-08-2003 02:07 PM
still not working Charles A. Lackman ASP .Net 3 07-03-2003 12:41 PM

Advertisments