Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Which JVM to use under Windows?

Which JVM to use under Windows?

Almond

I have heard some different opinions and which JVM to use.
First of all, can anyone tell me where to find JVM?
I spent nearly half an hour on Java site but could not find it.

My code does not require anything higher than jdk 1.3
and uses AWT only.

Is there any reason to get "the latest and gratest?
in this case?

Some say that Microsoft's JVM is not as secure.

Does anyone have any opinions on which JVM to use?

Thanks

--

Get yourself the most powerful tool for usenet you ever heard of.

NewsMaestro download page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=203356

Web page:
http://tarkus01.by.ru/

Note: You need to have JVM (Java Virtual Machine)
installed. Otherwise, the program won't run on some versions
of Windows. Just try to run the program and if you see the
main window, it means you do have it installed already.

Otherwise, a quick search on the Internet will find it
easily. The file size should be around 5 megs.

JVM is available in Microsoft or Sun (original creator
of Java language) versions.

You can visit sun.com to get it.

Or, you can try this one for starters:

http://www.java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

It should have links to sites that have it, I believe.

Lew

Almond wrote:
> I have heard some different opinions and which JVM to use.
> First of all, can anyone tell me where to find JVM?
> I spent nearly half an hour on Java site but could not find it.
>
> My code does not require anything higher than jdk 1.3
> and uses AWT only.
>
> Is there any reason to get "the latest and gratest?
> in this case?
>
> Some say that Microsoft's JVM is not as secure.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions on which JVM to use?

Use the latest from Sun. Microsoft does not have a JVM.

Version 1.3 is obsolete. This is fact, not opinion. Don't use it.

Version 1.4 will be obsolete in a few months. Again, this is fact. You
shouldn't use it.

Version 5 (a.k.a. 1.5) is usable. It's been out a couple of years already.

Version 6 is current.

http://java.sun.com

As of this writing it's down for maintenance, but I figure it'll be back
before long.

--
Lew

Almond

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Almond wrote:
>> I have heard some different opinions and which JVM to use.
>> First of all, can anyone tell me where to find JVM?
>> I spent nearly half an hour on Java site but could not find it.
>>
>> My code does not require anything higher than jdk 1.3
>> and uses AWT only.
>>
>> Is there any reason to get "the latest and gratest?
>> in this case?
>>
>> Some say that Microsoft's JVM is not as secure.
>>
>> Does anyone have any opinions on which JVM to use?

>Use the latest from Sun. Microsoft does not have a JVM.
>
>Version 1.3 is obsolete. This is fact, not opinion. Don't use it.
>
>Version 1.4 will be obsolete in a few months. Again, this is fact. You
>shouldn't use it.
>
>Version 5 (a.k.a. 1.5) is usable. It's been out a couple of years already.
>
>Version 6 is current.
>
>http://java.sun.com
>
>As of this writing it's down for maintenance, but I figure it'll be back
>before long.

Thanks Lew. I have version 5, i believe.
Do you happen to know that file name of JVM for windows
in that package? (I have to find it in my archives.
Lost one of my drives)

Thanks again.

Btw, how's life?

--

Get yourself the most powerful tool for usenet you ever heard of.

NewsMaestro download page:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=203356

Web page:
http://tarkus01.by.ru/

Note: You need to have JVM (Java Virtual Machine)
installed. Otherwise, the program won't run on some versions
of Windows. Just try to run the program and if you see the
main window, it means you do have it installed already.

Otherwise, a quick search on the Internet will find it
easily. The file size should be around 5 megs.

JVM is available in Microsoft or Sun (original creator
of Java language) versions.

You can visit sun.com to get it.

Or, you can try this one for starters:

http://www.java-virtual-machine.net/download.html

It should have links to sites that have it, I believe.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Almond wrote:
> I have heard some different opinions and which JVM to use.
> First of all, can anyone tell me where to find JVM?
> I spent nearly half an hour on Java site but could not find it.
>
> My code does not require anything higher than jdk 1.3
> and uses AWT only.
>
> Is there any reason to get "the latest and gratest?
> in this case?
>
> Some say that Microsoft's JVM is not as secure.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions on which JVM to use?

Newer JVM => more features *and* better performance.

Good reason to get the newest.

MS's JVM is version 1.1 and completely obsolete.

If you run J2EE application servers you may consider
IBM or BEA JVM's.

But for desktop usage always go for SUN's JVM.

Arne

Lew

Almond wrote:
> I have version 5, i believe.
> Do you happen to know that file name of JVM for windows
> in that package? (I have to find it in my archives.
> Lost one of my drives)

"java"

Or more precisely for Windows, "java.exe".

Let's say you installed your JDK to "C:\java\jdk\".

It's a good idea to define an environment variable
JAVA_HOME
(all upper case)
set to that directory:

JAVA_HOME=C:\java\jdk\

(Control Panel, System, somewhere on that dialog)

Then your Java-related executables will be in

%JAVA_HOME%\bin\

(In UNIX terms, ${JAVA_HOME}/bin/ )

Or, alternatively given the example,

C:\java\jdk\bin\

The JDK (Java Development Kit) includes a copy of the JRE (Java Runtime
Environment), which is a subset of the JDK - the part clients use, not
developers. It would be rooted in

%JAVA_HOME%\jre\

and has its own bin\ subdirectory.

By the way, what's with having /War and Peace/ in your sig?

--
Lew

Ishwor Gurung

Almond wrote:

> I have heard some different opinions and which JVM to use.
> First of all, can anyone tell me where to find JVM?
> I spent nearly half an hour on Java site but could not find it.
>
> My code does not require anything higher than jdk 1.3
> and uses AWT only.
>
> Is there any reason to get "the latest and gratest?
> in this case?

Usually depends on what you want to achieve. Normally I stick with a version
that is one step smaller. Reasoning is that I get lot less headaches when
things don't work because there's lot of resources to look up when i have
problem at that specific point in time.

> Some say that Microsoft's JVM is not as secure.

I'd recommend you to stay away from MS JVM. Not because it's M$ but because
it's way too old and doesn't support new features of Java specification
(i.e., version 1.4+)

> Does anyone have any opinions on which JVM to use?

Go for Sun JRE/JDK.

--
Cheers,
Ishwor Gurung

Roedy Green

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:51:13 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Almond) wrote,

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/installingjava.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary

Lew

Ishwor Gurung wrote:

> Usually depends on what you want to achieve. Normally I stick with a version
> that is one step smaller. Reasoning is that I get lot less headaches when
> things don't work because there's lot of resources to look up when i have
> problem at that specific point in time.

Not really a problem with the Sun JVMs. Stick with the current version (Java
6 as of this writing).

>> Some say that Microsoft's JVM is not as secure.

> I'd recommend you to stay away from MS JVM. Not because it's M$ but because
> it's way too old and doesn't support new features of Java specification
> (i.e., version 1.4+)

I recommend you not call it a JVM. Didn't MS lose a lawsuit brought by Sun
because MS "Java" wasn't?

And 1.4? Java 1.4 is entering its "end-of-life" phase - it is in hospice with
only months left.

--
Lew

Andrew Thompson

Lew wrote:
>Almond wrote:
>>> Is there any reason to get "the latest and gratest?
>>> in this case?

Many people have stressed the benefits of using the
latest production JDK to develop with. I agree with that
basic advice, but I recall you said earlier you were
developing for 1.3+.

If you are writing code intended to be run on an earlier
JVM, it is important to use the -bootclasspath (as well
as the other cross-compilation options) to ensure the
code is compatible with any earlier VM (even 1.5).

The -bootclasspath is significant to mention, in that
it requires you to have the runtime jar of that Java
version available to compile codes against.

The point that I am getting to is that while it is
best to develop with the latest JDK, it is also necessary
to have *access* to the version of JRE (or JDK) that
is the minimum that the code targets.

>> Usually depends on what you want to achieve. Normally I stick with a version
>> that is one step smaller.

I compile some code for 1.1 (legacy test applets,
designed to inform the unfortunate end user that
"The insecure, unsupported, obsolete MSVM must
be replaced to (do the interesting thing they came
to the page for) - also you might want to get rid of it,
just to protect your PC.", 1.3 (the introduction of
Java Sound into the J2SE), 1.4 when Swing actually
became stable enough to be widely useful, 1.5 (most
users) and 1.6 (just can't wait to have that, ..., and if
you want to it, get yourself the latest VM).

>Not really a problem with the Sun JVMs. Stick with the current version (Java
>6 as of this writing).
>
>>> Some say that Microsoft's JVM is not as secure.

I would. The 3810 build of the MSVM ('Java' 1.1.4)
will happily show the root path of the JRE in an
untrusted applet. The Symantec 1.1.5 JRE will
not, nor will any Sun JRE.

That is the only 'security difference' that I have noticed
between the 3810 (the safest ever of the MSVM variants)
and other JRE's, but then, I did not go purposefully looking,
that is just one thing I noticed.

>> I'd recommend you to stay away from MS JVM. Not because it's M$ but because
>> it's way too old and doesn't support new features of Java specification
>> (i.e., version 1.4+)

>I recommend you not call it a JVM. Didn't MS lose a lawsuit brought by Sun
>because MS "Java" wasn't?

IANAL, but 'yes'. I refer to it simply as the MSVM.

>And 1.4? Java 1.4 is entering its "end-of-life" phase - it is in hospice with
>only months left.

yeah.. (shrugs) but given an app. that can easily*
be coded to support 1.4, will also support 1.5 or
1.6, why would you bother?

Lew, if the difference between releasing a 1.4 app.,
and a 1.5 app., were 10 lines of code, and a
compilation option, would you *still* recommend
releasing an app. intended for 'home users' as being
'1.5+'? (..just curious, really)

* This could be a huge issue, of course, if a later
Java version provides a core functionality of the
app..

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Lew

Andrew Thompson wrote:
> yeah.. (shrugs) but given an app. that can easily*
> be coded to support 1.4, will also support 1.5 or
> 1.6, why would you bother?
>
> Lew, if the difference between releasing a 1.4 app.,
> and a 1.5 app., were 10 lines of code, and a
> compilation option, would you *still* recommend
> releasing an app. intended for 'home users' as being
> '1.5+'? (..just curious, really)

I recommend using Java 6 wherever feasible. The definition of "feasible" is
situational. I develop for 1.4 at work.

Home users have no reason to stay at an old version of Java. I would
definitely recommend to the home users that they upgrade.

As a developer, I find the differences between 1.4 and 5 to be significant -
huge, really. I hate having to go back to 1.4. If there's any way to
baseline at Java 5+, I insist on it.

Java has to have the slowest adoption curve of any community. Java 5 is two
and a half years old already, hardly a spring chicken in IT terms. Are people
still playing the same video games introduced for Xmas of '04? Much less '02,
when 1.4 came out?

If a home user has Java at all, why would they use a five-year-old version?
Wouldn't it be straightforward for them to upgrade to at /least/ 5?

At least the enterprise folks can manufacture an excuse - though oddly many of
them are going ahead with last year's MS Office Suite and this year's .NET
framework while moaning that it's too soon to upgrade from '02's (or even
'00's) version of Java.

--
Lew