Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > FTP Connection Refused By Remote Host

FTP Connection Refused By Remote Host

=?Utf-8?B?cmF6b3I=?=

Hello--

We are in the process of migrating our IIS server from W2K3 to W2K3 64-bit
and we cannot figure out why we can no longer ftp into the new IIS server
from within the same subnet? the FTP service is started, and the FTP Sites is
started in IIS.

From a command prompt, if I enter in "ftp <server IP address>" we get a
messages that says connection refused by remote host.

If we try to use an FTP program, the connection just fails. I used the
'netstat -an' command on the IIS server and it shows port 21 is listening.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Probably the Windows Firewall. With XP x64, you're at the SP1 level as a
minimum, and that includes the Windows Firewall by default.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello--
>
> We are in the process of migrating our IIS server from W2K3 to W2K3 64-bit
> and we cannot figure out why we can no longer ftp into the new IIS server
> from within the same subnet? the FTP service is started, and the FTP Sites
> is
> started in IIS.
>
> From a command prompt, if I enter in "ftp <server IP address>" we get a
> messages that says connection refused by remote host.
>
> If we try to use an FTP program, the connection just fails. I used the
> 'netstat -an' command on the IIS server and it shows port 21 is listening.
>
> Any help would really be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?cmF6b3I=?=

No. We don't use Windows Firewall.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Probably the Windows Firewall. With XP x64, you're at the SP1 level as a
> minimum, and that includes the Windows Firewall by default.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello--
> >
> > We are in the process of migrating our IIS server from W2K3 to W2K3 64-bit
> > and we cannot figure out why we can no longer ftp into the new IIS server
> > from within the same subnet? the FTP service is started, and the FTP Sites
> > is
> > started in IIS.
> >
> > From a command prompt, if I enter in "ftp <server IP address>" we get a
> > messages that says connection refused by remote host.
> >
> > If we try to use an FTP program, the connection just fails. I used the
> > 'netstat -an' command on the IIS server and it shows port 21 is listening.
> >
> > Any help would really be appreciated.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah, but did you explicitly disable it? With Server SP1, it is enabled by
default. (And the same for XP x64, which is Server 2k3 SP1 code base.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No. We don't use Windows Firewall.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Probably the Windows Firewall. With XP x64, you're at the SP1 level as a
>> minimum, and that includes the Windows Firewall by default.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hello--
>> >
>> > We are in the process of migrating our IIS server from W2K3 to W2K3
>> > 64-bit
>> > and we cannot figure out why we can no longer ftp into the new IIS
>> > server
>> > from within the same subnet? the FTP service is started, and the FTP
>> > Sites
>> > is
>> > started in IIS.
>> >
>> > From a command prompt, if I enter in "ftp <server IP address>" we get a
>> > messages that says connection refused by remote host.
>> >
>> > If we try to use an FTP program, the connection just fails. I used the
>> > 'netstat -an' command on the IIS server and it shows port 21 is
>> > listening.
>> >
>> > Any help would really be appreciated.

=?Utf-8?B?cmF6b3I=?=

We figured it out. The web developer missed something in IIS.

Thanks though.

sd

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Ah, but did you explicitly disable it? With Server SP1, it is enabled by
> default. (And the same for XP x64, which is Server 2k3 SP1 code base.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > No. We don't use Windows Firewall.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Probably the Windows Firewall. With XP x64, you're at the SP1 level as a
> >> minimum, and that includes the Windows Firewall by default.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

OK, good.