Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > monitor has pincushion

monitor has pincushion

Alan Justice

Dell CRT, about 8 years old, 20". Suddenly I get pincushion (the center of
the display is pinched in). By pressing the menu button on the monitor, I
get an adjustment for it, but it does not do nearly enough.

--
- Alan Justice

--
- Alan Justice

. . . . Timothy . . . . .

"Alan Justice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dell CRT, about 8 years old, 20". Suddenly I get pincushion (the center
> of
> the display is pinched in). By pressing the menu button on the monitor, I
> get an adjustment for it, but it does not do nearly enough.
>
> --
> - Alan Justice

Might be a failing capacitor somewhere in the monitor, or a failed solder
joint. Probably would be easy to scrounge another monitor from somewhere,
people are chucking these out and replacing them with flat-screens.

Tim.

Jimbo

" . . . . Timothy . . . . ." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Alan Justice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dell CRT, about 8 years old, 20". Suddenly I get pincushion (the center
>> of
>> the display is pinched in). By pressing the menu button on the monitor,
>> get an adjustment for it, but it does not do nearly enough.
>>
>> --
>> - Alan Justice
>>

> Might be a failing capacitor somewhere in the monitor, or a failed solder
> joint. Probably would be easy to scrounge another monitor from somewhere,
> people are chucking these out and replacing them with flat-screens.
>
> Tim.

My first thought would not be a simple cold (broken) solder joint. It could
be but I would bet it's not that simple. From what you are saying it sounds
more like a failed component. Could be a capacitor, resistor or other
component(s).
If you do decide to try your hand at fixing it BE VERY CAREFULL!!! The high
voltage part of the monitor can store over 25K volts. In the 80's I was a TV
repair tech. and once received a jolt from a black & white CRT, only about
4K volts, and it hurt like hell. The voltages in a color CRT can be deadly
even after sitting unpluged for a long time.
I don't advacate trying to repair it your self unless you are experienced in
TV/monitor repair.

I think Tim has the best advice, "Probably would be easy to scrounge another