Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird keeps trying to install a news server

Thunderbird keeps trying to install a news server

Gualtier Malde

Greetings

I am using Tbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000 SP4. A trusted source in another
newsgroup send the following: news://rec.video.desktop/ and I put it in a
browser address bar and clicked on it, and it came up in Tbird as a new news
server. Problem is that it really isn't a server and I tried to Remove using
Tools, Account Settings. That worked, but each time I open Tbird there it is
back again, and the server Wizard screen is there asking questions.

How do I find the switch that is doing this and tell it to stop?

Chuck

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

Gualtier Malde wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I am using Tbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000 SP4. A trusted source in another
> newsgroup send the following: news://rec.video.desktop/ and I put it in a
> browser address bar and clicked on it, and it came up in Tbird as a new news
> server. Problem is that it really isn't a server and I tried to Remove using
> Tools, Account Settings. That worked, but each time I open Tbird there it is
> back again, and the server Wizard screen is there asking questions.
>
> How do I find the switch that is doing this and tell it to stop?
>
> Chuck

as long as you've got news:// in front of it, then TB will
think its a news server.

Let TB set it up as a regular news account. Then click on
Tools, Account Settings, select the account, and under
Server Settings, near the bottom right, look for Local
Directory. This will tell you the location on your hard
drive of where its located. Now, remove the account. Close
the program. Using your file manager, locate the New
directory within your TB profile and remove any files left
over. Remove the directory for rec.video.desktop. Now,
look for a file called prefs.js and open that in any texted
based editor. Now, locate any lines there when you looked
at the local directory above. Save that file, reopen TB.
Any luck this time?

or Reply to Author. Thanks!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Gualtier Malde

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
> Gualtier Malde wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> I am using Tbird 2.0.0.6 in Windows 2000 SP4. A trusted source in
>> another newsgroup send the following: news://rec.video.desktop/ and I
>> put it in a browser address bar and clicked on it, and it came up in
>> Tbird as a new news server. Problem is that it really isn't a server
>> and I tried to Remove using Tools, Account Settings. That worked, but
>> each time I open Tbird there it is back again, and the server Wizard
>> screen is there asking questions.
>>
>> How do I find the switch that is doing this and tell it to stop?
>>
>> Chuck

> as long as you've got news:// in front of it, then TB will think its a
> news server.
>
> Let TB set it up as a regular news account. Then click on Tools,
> Account Settings, select the account, and under Server Settings, near
> the bottom right, look for Local Directory. This will tell you the
> location on your hard drive of where its located. Now, remove the
> account. Close the program. Using your file manager, locate the New
> directory within your TB profile and remove any files left over. Remove
> the directory for rec.video.desktop. Now, look for a file called
> prefs.js and open that in any texted based editor. Now, locate any
> lines there when you looked at the local directory above. Save that
> file, reopen TB. Any luck this time?

Thank you Mister Potamus. I am going to save your instructions but after 6-7
times of having this happen when Tbird came up, it didn't do it this time. It
may finally have given up.

Chuck