Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem with Sothink dHtml menu

Problem with Sothink dHtml menu

sturkel

I made a menu with dhtml menu wich is working well, but i part of the
menu shoud be generated from a mysql database.
The problem is that the last vertical menu items are shown
horizontally.
Could anyone help me to solve this problem.
This link is the 'working' version: http://www.noormannen.nl/test.html
This one the wrong: http://www.noormannen.nl/test.php
The 'sponsoren' and 'links' submenu's are the problem.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sturkel wrote:

> I made a menu with dhtml menu wich is working well,

For you perhaps. My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,
so all I see is a blank page. Consider that ~10% of your visitors will
have JavaScript disabled, and thus no way to navigate your site.

That is like turning off your web server for a month every year.

--
-bts

sturkel

On 22 aug, 18:36, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,

Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
content.

And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

The case will rest...Can anyone give a solution?

Michael Fesser

..oO(sturkel)

>On 22 aug, 18:36, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,

>Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
>content.

It is a technical problem of the website.

>And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
>so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

Both are entirely optional, that's the point. Relying on an optional
technology to make a website work is not really the best idea. So it
_is_ the problem of the "designer" who didn't understand the Web.

Micha

Bernhard Sturm

sturkel wrote:
> On 22 aug, 18:36, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,

> Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
> content.
>
> And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
> so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

Open your mind: ever heard of 'accessibility'? Don't think in graphical
UA only. Believe me: here in Switzerland we have 9% of users who use
mobile UAs. And they have very poor JS support and no CSS support.
Another target-group are handicapped people: try to navigate your menu
with the keyboard only. You really have to rethink your solution if you
are going to take this business seriously.

HTH
bernhard

--
www.daszeichen.ch
remove nixspam to reply

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sturkel wrote:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
>> My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,
>> [and you have no menu.]

> Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
> content.

No, it is not a problem of my company. JavaScript is disabled for
security reasons, as there is malicious JavaScript floating 'round the
web. Many home users disable it as well, as JavaScript is the single
most reason for causing unwanted popup windows.

And I do not mean *just* *my* company. This is not terribly uncommon.

> And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
> so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

You as the designer should be interested in whether or not you really
want your boss to lose 10% of his annual sales. Are you comfortable with
that? What is 10% of a million dollars? Why, that is a hundred thousand
dollars! Can you and the boss stand the loss?

CSS, on the other hand, is _not_ a script; it is just text. It cannot do
anything except enhance your pages. But you should still test to see if
they are functional without it. I'd recommend testing with the OffByOne
browser.
http://offbyone.com/

I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.

> The case will rest...Can anyone give a solution?

The case was rested long ago. The rule of thumb is never use JavaScript
for anything critical. Such as navigation.

--
-bts

Bergamot

Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

> I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.

As a general rule, no, but there are plenty of web pages out there that
are more usable with CSS disabled.

--
Berg

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bergamot wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.

> As a general rule, no, but there are plenty of web pages out there
> that are more usable with CSS disabled.

Well, yes that is true. <g> Designed by incompetents who don't have
multiple browsers, nor know how to test.

--
-bts

Sothink DHTML Menu 9 Fredd66 Software 0 07-22-2012 04:48 PM
Problem with Sothink dHtml menu sturkel HTML 1 08-22-2007 07:45 PM
Dynamic Menu with SOThink Menu? Lasse Edsvik ASP General 0 02-13-2006 10:34 AM
Do any DHTML books cover contemporary DHTML? Steve Javascript 1 04-09-2005 04:16 PM
Problem with Firefox and a dhtml-menu AS Firefox 0 10-20-2004 08:41 AM

Advertisments