Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Printing Google Maps

Printing Google Maps

>=Martin=

Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

TJ

">=Martin=<" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

Define: "personally created google map."

I thought *all* google maps were created personally. I mean, how could
google possibly know what you want a map of, unless you (personally) enter
some info first?

Why cant you just hit 'Print' while the map is loaded?

Mike Easter

> Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

Yes.

I make a screenshot, paste it into irfanview, tune it up and print it
out. I find that sometimes it is better to make several at different
levels of zoom. I usually make mine in black&white, because it is
cheaper to buy black ink cartridges than color ones. The IV tuneup
takes more steps when you do b&w.

Sometimes the rental car places near an airport want to keep my maps
that I make of the offsite area around an airport because my maps are
better than theirs. If I had known my map was going to be so desirable,
I suppose that I would have left it in color.

--
Mike Easter

TJ

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:13cokc5k647ao91
@corp.supernews.com:

>> Is there a way to make a printout of a personally created google map?

> Yes.
>
> I make a screenshot, paste it into irfanview, tune it up and print it
> out. I find that sometimes it is better to make several at different
> levels of zoom. I usually make mine in black&white, because it is
> cheaper to buy black ink cartridges than color ones. The IV tuneup
> takes more steps when you do b&w.

The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.

I thought mine was broken for about a year before I found it's just
misnamed. That was about 15 years ago, and they STILL call it "Print
Screen" when it does nothing of the sort. "Copy Screen" would be much more
gooder IMO.

TJ wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> I make a screenshot,

> The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.
>
> I thought mine was broken for about a year before I found it's just
> misnamed. That was about 15 years ago, and they STILL call it
> "Print Screen" when it does nothing of the sort. "Copy Screen" would
> be much more gooder IMO.

Naturally a wiki article discusses the historical background/meaning of
PrtScr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen Print screen - Print
screen is shared with SysRq. - Under earlier command-line based
operating systems, this caused an exact copy of the current screen
output to be sent to the standard printer port, usually LPT1.

.... and even has another article about the now arcane SysRq

--
Mike Easter

TJ

"Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:13coo14emcjk926
@corp.supernews.com:

> TJ wrote:
>> "Mike Easter"

>>> I make a screenshot,

>> The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.
>>
>> I thought mine was broken for about a year before I found it's just
>> misnamed. That was about 15 years ago, and they STILL call it
>> "Print Screen" when it does nothing of the sort. "Copy Screen" would
>> be much more gooder IMO.

> Naturally a wiki article discusses the historical background/meaning of
> PrtScr http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen Print screen - Print
> screen is shared with SysRq. - Under earlier command-line based
> operating systems, this caused an exact copy of the current screen
> output to be sent to the standard printer port, usually LPT1.
>
> ... and even has another article about the now arcane SysRq

Wiki wasn't around back then. (Win 95 days)

I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't just
call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard" or
something.

There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons about,
can there?

Blinky the Shark

TJ wrote:

> The dreaded "Print Screen" button may come into play here.

I think that's next to the Any key.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

TJ wrote:

> I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't
> just call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard"
> or something.
>
> There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons
> about, can there?

I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of PrintScrn/SysRq
and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of my printers,
right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row in the stack
above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them so I don't
accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys in that
matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of keys
between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those four
keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
the keyboard.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

William Poaster

It was on, or about, Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:28:16 +0000, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> TJ wrote:
>
>> I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't
>> just call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard"
>> or something.
>>
>> There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons
>> about, can there?

> I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of PrintScrn/SysRq
> and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of my printers,
> right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row in the stack
> above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them so I don't
> accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys in that
> matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of keys
> between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those four
> keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
> Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
> the keyboard.

In Kubuntu hitting PrintScrn automatically brings up Ksnapshot, which is
quite handy sometimes.

--
Surely you are not comparing the non-existent Linux (at that time) with
98? - Hadron aka Hadron Quark, Hans Schneider, & Damian O'Leary

Blinky the Shark

William Poaster wrote:
> It was on, or about, Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:28:16 +0000, that as I was
> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> TJ wrote:
>>
>>> I guess my point was, why do you suppose modern keyboard makers don't
>>> just call it what it is THESE days? Maybe, "Copy Screen to Clipboard"
>>> or something.
>>>
>>> There can't be THAT much of a surplus of print screen/SysRq buttons
>>> about, can there?

>> I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of PrintScrn/SysRq
>> and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of my printers,
>> right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row in the stack
>> above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them so I don't
>> accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys in that
>> matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of keys
>> between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those four
>> keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
>> Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
>> the keyboard.

> In Kubuntu hitting PrintScrn automatically brings up Ksnapshot, which is
> quite handy sometimes.

Good idea!

Now you've got me wondering if any such thing is set up here in
Mandriva.

<pokes the eraser end of a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil into the
hole where the PrintScrn key used to be>

Hey, that brings it up in Ksnapshot here, too. I did not know that. As
you can imagine from knowing that's one of the keys I remove.

I wonder if that's configurable. It would be tres bitchin' if it
brought the cap up in the GIMP.