Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Printing Google Maps

Printing Google Maps

Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil

pencil pic http://snipurl.com/1pwu9

Other pencils from the Joseph Dixon Crucible Co. now Dixon Ticonderoga
http://www.brandnamepencils.com/bran...on/index.shtml

Their website sez:

America's #1 pencil! First introduced in 1913, the Joseph Dixon Crucible
Company wanted a name that represented "a fine American name for a fine
American pencil." They named the pencil Ticonderoga after Fort
Ticonderoga, a military post
in New York. -- With production of nearly a half a billion pencils a
year, the Ticonderoga has become the #1, most recognized, and revered
pencil throughout America and the world.
http://www.dixonusa.com/index.cfm/fu...conderoga.home

The capture of Fort Ticonderoga was an event early in the American
Revolutionary War. On May 10, 1775, Colonels Ethan Allen and Benedict
Arnold surprised and captured the small British garrison at Fort
Ticonderoga.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...oga_%281775%29

--
Mike Easter

William Poaster

It was on, or about, Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:37:30 +0000, that as I was
halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> William Poaster wrote:
>> It was on, or about, Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:28:16 +0000, that as I was
>> halfway through a large jam doughnut, Blinky the Shark wrote:

>>> I usually have spares around. In fact, I have spares of
>>> PrintScrn/SysRq and Scroll Lock and Pause/Break sitting next to one of
>>> my printers, right now. When I buy a keyboard that has them as a row
>>> in the stack above the inverted-tee of the arrow keys, I remove them
>>> so I don't accidentally hit one when I'm going for the six useful keys
>>> in that matrix. I'm a touch typist, and that includes that group of
>>> keys between the main set and the numeric keypad. But sometimes those
>>> four keys are above Insert|Home|PageUp, and sometimes they're below
>>> Delete|End|PageDown. So here, they come off before I even start using
>>> the keyboard.

>> In Kubuntu hitting PrintScrn automatically brings up Ksnapshot, which
>> is quite handy sometimes.

> Good idea!
>
> Now you've got me wondering if any such thing is set up here in
> Mandriva.
>
> <pokes the eraser end of a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil into the hole where
> the PrintScrn key used to be>
>
> Hey, that brings it up in Ksnapshot here, too. I did not know that. As
> you can imagine from knowing that's one of the keys I remove.

I don't suppose it matters, as long as you have a pencil handy! <grin>

> I wonder if that's configurable. It would be tres bitchin' if it
> brought the cap up in the GIMP.

Yes, it would & I hadn't thought of that. I don't know if it's possible.

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil

> pencil pic http://snipurl.com/1pwu9

Ah, but I have the Pro model.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/1388-3.jpg

That's the very one I used.

<snip interesting history>

I did know about the Fort and Battle Of Ticonderoga.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> a Ticonderoga 1388-3 pencil

>> pencil pic http://snipurl.com/1pwu9

> Ah, but I have the Pro model.
>
> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/1388-3.jpg
>
> That's the very one I used.

I can't tell for sure from the pic. Is that one round? I used to work
at a lumberyard in my youth that used round yellow pencils for its
advertising. The site I cited also has a pic of a round 1388 but in a
#2 instead of #3 http://snipurl.com/1px0w

> I did know about the Fort and Battle Of Ticonderoga.

Ahh. But did you know this part/version....

"On May 10, 1775, a sleeping British garrison of 22 soldiers was
surprised by a small force of Vermonters who called themselves the Green
Mountain Boys, and were led by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, who
walked into the fort through an unlocked gate. Allen later claimed that
he demanded to the British commandant that he surrender the fort "In the
name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!"; however, his
surrender demand was made to a junior officer, not the commandant, and
no other witnesses remembered Allen uttering such a phrase.[2] Not a
single shot was fired."

--
Mike Easter

Blinky the Shark

Mike Easter wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>>
>>> pencil pic http://snipurl.com/1pwu9

>> Ah, but I have the Pro model.
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/1388-3.jpg
>>
>> That's the very one I used.

> I can't tell for sure from the pic. Is that one round? I used to work

No. The highlight above the printing defines the upper edge of the
printed-on side and side below is shadowed (darker). Sheesh.

> at a lumberyard in my youth that used round yellow pencils for its
> advertising. The site I cited also has a pic of a round 1388 but in a
> #2 instead of #3 http://snipurl.com/1px0w

That must be what the 2 means. I've never seen a round one before.

>> I did know about the Fort and Battle Of Ticonderoga.

> Ahh. But did you know this part/version....
>
> "On May 10, 1775, a sleeping British garrison of 22 soldiers was
> surprised by a small force of Vermonters who called themselves the Green
> Mountain Boys, and were led by Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold, who
> walked into the fort through an unlocked gate. Allen later claimed that
> he demanded to the British commandant that he surrender the fort "In the
> name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!"; however, his
> surrender demand was made to a junior officer, not the commandant, and
> no other witnesses remembered Allen uttering such a phrase.[2] Not a
> single shot was fired."

No, although I do remember reading of the GMBs (and EA and BA).