Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Lockup?

Reply
Thread Tools

Lockup?

 
 
Dr. Compynei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2007
Got a friends computer which will boot into XP, no problems. Can see the
desktop, hover around things and over the start menu but I'm unable to click
anything or open anything.

Putting an autoplay cd in will result in it loading, so windows isnt
actually crashed.

Thought I'd try and reinstall windows over the top with the disc, and I can
use the keyboard fine until I get to the Windows Setup thing asking to press
enter to continue, it won't accept enter, repair or f3 to quit, even though
its jsut accepted enter to boot the into the CD from startup, and I can get
into BIOS and use that etc.

Anyone any ideas where to go? Its a HP Pavillion ZE4200.

Cheers


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2007
Dr. Compynei wrote:
> Got a friends computer which will boot into XP, no problems. Can see
> the desktop, hover around things and over the start menu but I'm
> unable to click anything or open anything.


Maybe you are locked out from any input keyboard or mouse.

> Anyone any ideas where to go? Its a HP Pavillion ZE4200.


Does your 'friend' know you have hir computer? What does s/he say about
the problem?


--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dr. Compynei
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2007

"Mike Easter" wrote:
> Dr. Compynei wrote:
>> Got a friends computer which will boot into XP, no problems. Can see
>> the desktop, hover around things and over the start menu but I'm
>> unable to click anything or open anything.

>
> Maybe you are locked out from any input keyboard or mouse.

But I can get into BIOS and select to boot from a windows install CD, just
nothing after that?

>> Anyone any ideas where to go? Its a HP Pavillion ZE4200.

>
> Does your 'friend' know you have hir computer? What does s/he say about
> the problem?


Yes, my next door neighbour as it happens, asked me to have a go with fixing
it.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Easter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2007
Dr. Compynei wrote:
> "Mike Easter" wrote:
>> Dr. Compynei wrote:
>>> Got a friends computer which will boot into XP, no problems. Can see
>>> the desktop, hover around things and over the start menu but I'm
>>> unable to click anything or open anything.

>>
>> Maybe you are locked out from any input keyboard or mouse.


I meant Windows locking you out.

> But I can get into BIOS and select to boot from a windows install CD,
> just nothing after that?


What you do with the keyboard when you are talking to the BIOS is
different than when you are trying to be talking to the keyboard after
windows loads. I don't know if I'm understanding your status with the
CD.

>>> Anyone any ideas where to go? Its a HP Pavillion ZE4200.

>>
>> Does your 'friend' know you have hir computer? What does s/he say
>> about the problem?

>
> Yes, my next door neighbour as it happens, asked me to have a go with
> fixing it.


What happens when you boot up in safe mode?

--
Mike Easter

 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckieŽ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2007
You might try booting into 'Safe Mode' then run an up-to-date virus scan,
and spyware program. I ran into a similar problem this past weekend, turned
out to be several virii, and several malware problems. The owner is an
idiot. I gave him all the necessary software last time, and he 'forgot' to
update it and run it regularly...<sigh>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments