Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > help w/fujifilm photo uploading?

help w/fujifilm photo uploading?

vinca

I have 2 PCs, neither are independently servicable . My older Gateway has
Windows 98 SE, a tower w/an extra slot for copying/burning cds, and an
installed Adaptec program for doing so. The monitor however is darkening to
the point that I'm unable to use photoshop or anything to edit or even view
my photos...I was given a newer used Dell tower w/ a home version of Windows
XP...it came absent of all sorts of things that I'm accustom as well won't
accept my Adaptec software and does not have any copy/burn capability.

My thinking was to download the Finepix software to my old computer, view
and edit my photos on the newer one that has a better viewing screen (also
the printer hook up), then put the pictures back onto the camera card reader
and back into the camera, then have the finepix automatically take them off
onto the old system where I could at copy them to a disk. At this conjure I
can't save anything to disk nor clear pictures from my newer hard drive. I
do have one of those little "jump drive" things that works only with the
newer computer, but the old one won't use it, so that simpler method is out.

I finally figured out how to keep both computers operable and how to install
the cameras software, etc. My problem now is that the Finepix will
automatically down/up load(?) any photos from my camera as long as I have
not removed them to the new computer and edited them, it will not however
for reasons I don't understand load the ones I've edited and put back onto
the little card reader. I followed the same camera settings, and the photos
appear to be in the camera, on the card...but no luck getting them into the
old computer????

As is probably evident I am basically computer illiterate, although it seems
the problem may be more with the camera set up stuff...I don't know what
else to try. Hoping some generous knowlegable soul out there may be able to
give an assist?

Thanks, V

RichK

"vinca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:

> I do have one of those little "jump drive" things that works only with the
> newer computer, but the old one won't use it, so that simpler method is

out.

Get a driver for the jump drive for Win98 and this problem is solved. Maybe
several others. The jumpdrive should have mfg info and model.

> I finally figured out how to keep both computers operable and how to

install
> the cameras software, etc.

If the PC's have a network cards, consider connecting them with a cable,
although Win98 and WinXP is a bit tricky and you may need help to get them
to work well together.

RichK

vinca

Thanks Rich, but I'm not sure what you mean by getting a "driver" for the
jump drive? The little "attache" thing that plugs into my windows xp is
only available for newer computers as I understand it. I don't think that
the windows 98 can accomadate them. What is a driver?

I have no idea what a network card is...but part of my problem is I need to
make fixes without expenditure.

I appreciate your help. V

"RichK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "vinca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
>

>> I do have one of those little "jump drive" things that works only with
>> the
>> newer computer, but the old one won't use it, so that simpler method is

> out.
>
> Get a driver for the jump drive for Win98 and this problem is solved.
> Maybe
> several others. The jumpdrive should have mfg info and model.
>
>> I finally figured out how to keep both computers operable and how to

> install
>> the cameras software, etc.

> If the PC's have a network cards, consider connecting them with a cable,
> although Win98 and WinXP is a bit tricky and you may need help to get them
> to work well together.
>
> RichK

Dave Cohen

RichK wrote:
> "vinca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
>

>> I do have one of those little "jump drive" things that works only with the
>> newer computer, but the old one won't use it, so that simpler method is

> out.
>
> Get a driver for the jump drive for Win98 and this problem is solved. Maybe
> several others. The jumpdrive should have mfg info and model.
>
>> I finally figured out how to keep both computers operable and how to

> install
>> the cameras software, etc.

> If the PC's have a network cards, consider connecting them with a cable,
> although Win98 and WinXP is a bit tricky and you may need help to get them
> to work well together.
>
> RichK

You may not have much luck with flash drives with win98, depends on the
flash drive. Stay away from native xp burning, disable it. You can
download a number of freeware programs, I found burn4free to be the best.
If the xp machine doesn't have a burner, they are dirt cheap these days,
if you have nothing now, consider a dvd burner. Externals work well with
winxp. May not want to work with old machine if not usb 2.0. You will
probably get burning software bundled with a new burner.
I can't follow what you are doing with the camera. Your best bet would
be to invest in a card reader, uploading back to a camera is always a
bit iffy after pics have been modified (if that is what you are doing).
Dave Cohen

RichK

"vinca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Thanks Rich, but I'm not sure what you mean by getting a "driver" for the
> jump drive?

Driver is a little program, which you have to supply to Win98, so it can
recognized your device. Most USB sold today, still have Win98se support.
You will have to download it from the webpage of the mfg of your device.
It's always free.

At one time drivers used to come on floppy, or CD. Since WinXP has many
drivers "built-in", companies stopped including them with the device. Now
you have to download one.

> The little "attache" thing that plugs into my windows xp is
> only available for newer computers as I understand it. I don't think that
> the windows 98 can accomadate them. What is a driver?

See above. Willing to bet you can get the driver for win98se. Post the mfg
and model of your device and we can check. Installation is simple. Maybe
an .exe file, or .inf.

> I have no idea what a network card is...but part of my problem is I need

> make fixes without expenditure.

Let's work on the USB method in this case.

Regards,

RichK

RichK

"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Your best bet would be to invest in a card reader, uploading back to a

camera is always a
> bit iffy after pics have been modified (if that is what you are doing).

Yes, a card reader costs around $10. Again, it will most likely work out of
the box with WinXP, but for Win98se you will need the little driver program.

RichK

vinca

Hello All,

I'm not sure where I'm to reply to the various messages, but thank-you both.
I should have read you first, but now hace created a tertiary problem on my
win98 system because I thought that I was creating some sort of network
however that has also backfired and now I'm getting weird messages that
suggest that I've deleted some essential system.ini file from that
computer...seems that itself may occupy my neophyte skills for the next
week... Anyway, I will go to the manufacture site to see about making my
Attache compatible with the win98. Ido have one card reader which I use to
initially bring my picture into the win2000xp computer, I have no problems
with that..it is after I've edited them and put them back onto the card,the
win98, which has the camera's software isn't reading them.

I think I will forgo trying to do the hooking up of the two computers
(networking"..as now I see that this requires additional wares and
complicated strategies.

I imagined that there was something simple that I could do to force the 98
computer and camera software to read it's own card after being reloaded with
edited copies of it's original photos.

Let me reread your kind advice and see where to go from here.

Thank-you both...V
"RichK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Your best bet would be to invest in a card reader, uploading back to a

> camera is always a
>> bit iffy after pics have been modified (if that is what you are doing).

> Yes, a card reader costs around $10. Again, it will most likely work out
> of
> the box with WinXP, but for Win98se you will need the little driver
> program.
>
> RichK

vinca

The Attache' is 1G by PNY technologies.
"RichK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "vinca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Thanks Rich, but I'm not sure what you mean by getting a "driver" for the
>> jump drive?

> Driver is a little program, which you have to supply to Win98, so it can
> recognized your device. Most USB sold today, still have Win98se support.
> You will have to download it from the webpage of the mfg of your device.
> It's always free.
>
> At one time drivers used to come on floppy, or CD. Since WinXP has many
> drivers "built-in", companies stopped including them with the device. Now
> you have to download one.
>
>> The little "attache" thing that plugs into my windows xp is
>> only available for newer computers as I understand it. I don't think that
>> the windows 98 can accomadate them. What is a driver?

> See above. Willing to bet you can get the driver for win98se. Post the
> mfg
> and model of your device and we can check. Installation is simple. Maybe
> an .exe file, or .inf.
>

>> I have no idea what a network card is...but part of my problem is I need

>> make fixes without expenditure.

> Let's work on the USB method in this case.
>
> Regards,
>
> RichK

RichK

"vinca" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> The Attache' is 1G by PNY technologies.

The driver can be downloaded from:
http://www2.pny.com/support/support_...nID=1083&RootS
ectionID=1057&TypeID=5

At the bottom is the driver. Only problem you may have is that this is USB2
driver. Strange that PNY makes a separate drivers for USB1.1 and 2. All
others TMK use the same. Install that driver and it should work.

RichK

vinca

Thank-you, I will get on the other computer and try the download.