Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > dip how much difference does this make?

dip how much difference does this make?

b13171@hotmail.com

I must replace my HP printer.I primarily use the printer for home
office work, printing crafts and photos. At the suggestion of some
here, I am going to purchase eithr an Epson or Canon.
I would prefer to get an "all in one". DPIs on these printers in my
price range are 5670 x 1440.
Canon makes a photo printer in this same price range with 9600 x 2400
DPIs. How much difference in printing quality would this difference
make. Or, are dpis similar to megapixels in cameras. (I have a
Fuji with 5 megapixels-
a friend with 7. I can't tell the difference even with photos blown
up to 18 x 24")
Thanks Liz

Gino

I haven't used Canon printers, however I have used HP and Epson.

I didn't plan to change from Epson to HP, but Dell had no stock of Epson's
at the time so I went for a HP Photosmart. I haven't looked back since.

I have recently bought a HP Photosmart C6180, but I haven't used the scanner
yet (I don't scan many photos, I use a film scanner for this).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I must replace my HP printer.I primarily use the printer for home
> office work, printing crafts and photos. At the suggestion of some
> here, I am going to purchase eithr an Epson or Canon.
> I would prefer to get an "all in one". DPIs on these printers in my
> price range are 5670 x 1440.
> Canon makes a photo printer in this same price range with 9600 x 2400
> DPIs. How much difference in printing quality would this difference
> make. Or, are dpis similar to megapixels in cameras. (I have a
> Fuji with 5 megapixels-
> a friend with 7. I can't tell the difference even with photos blown
> up to 18 x 24")
> Thanks Liz

Eatmorepies

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I must replace my HP printer.I primarily use the printer for home
> office work, printing crafts and photos. At the suggestion of some
> here, I am going to purchase eithr an Epson or Canon.
> I would prefer to get an "all in one". DPIs on these printers in my
> price range are 5670 x 1440.
> Canon makes a photo printer in this same price range with 9600 x 2400
> DPIs. How much difference in printing quality would this difference
> make. Or, are dpis similar to megapixels in cameras. (I have a
> Fuji with 5 megapixels-
> a friend with 7. I can't tell the difference even with photos blown
> up to 18 x 24")
> Thanks Liz

I use an Epson and print colour pictures at 1440 dpi. I have tried 760 dpi
and they don't look much different; but because I tend to print only 1 or 2
pictures at a sitting I use 1440. I did try 2880 but it took a huge amount
of time and there was no difference.

But in black and white there may be a difference between 1440 and 2880. I
use the black only setting so the grey bits are made of tiny black dots. I
assume 2880 dots are more tiny than 1440 dots. If I have a B&W that has a
large range of grey tones I use 2880 and I turn of the print command that
makes the printer bidirectional. Thsi means that an A3 takes a long time -
but the results are good. For those B&W that are gritty and grainy then
going to 760 dpi can help the image.

So I don't think that you need any more than 2880 dpi.

I print some A3 pictures at 130 pixels per inch instead of the 'industry
standard' of 300 ppi - and very good some of them look too.

John

tomm42

On Aug 21, 2:03 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I must replace my HP printer.I primarily use the printer for home
> office work, printing crafts and photos. At the suggestion of some
> here, I am going to purchase eithr an Epson or Canon.
> I would prefer to get an "all in one". DPIs on these printers in my
> price range are 5670 x 1440.
> Canon makes a photo printer in this same price range with 9600 x 2400
> DPIs. How much difference in printing quality would this difference
> make. Or, are dpis similar to megapixels in cameras. (I have a
> Fuji with 5 megapixels-
> a friend with 7. I can't tell the difference even with photos blown
> up to 18 x 24")
> Thanks Liz

I bought an industrial sized Canon printer and couldn't be happier
with it, I also got an HP 13 inch printer for work, it has been a good
choice too. You may want to look at 13 inch printers, the HP B9180
does excellent work, takes large (less expensive) ink carts, you can
work with plain paper to art and photo papers. We have it going all
day every day and it has been up to that task. It also has a self
check for head clogs a nice feature at the price of leaving it on all
the time. My new Canon at home has the same feature if I'm not using
it for a few days or going away I turn it off. Then it does a head
cleaning on start up. Ink is very expensive for any printer but
especially so for letter/A4 printers, since they have very small ink
reservoirs.

Tom

Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Aug 21, 1:03 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I must replace my HP printer.I primarily use the printer for home
> office work, printing crafts and photos. At the suggestion of some
> here, I am going to purchase eithr an Epson or Canon.
> I would prefer to get an "all in one". DPIs on these printers in my
> price range are 5670 x 1440.
> Canon makes a photo printer in this same price range with 9600 x 2400
> DPIs. How much difference in printing quality would this difference
> make. Or, are dpis similar to megapixels in cameras. (I have a
> Fuji with 5 megapixels-
> a friend with 7. I can't tell the difference even with photos blown
> up to 18 x 24")
> Thanks Liz

Remember, printer dots are NOT pixels. In order to print good grey
scales and good colors, a printer creates each PIXEL by an array of
dots (dithering). Now, no printer has enough dots per pixel to cover
the whole gamut of colors which the operating system and imaging
software can handle. So it 'diffuses' the dithering into surrounding
pixels. The more dots you can put into each pixel, the better the
shading and color accuracy you can get without diffusing into
neighboring pixels.

So a printer should have a MUCH higher dpi than the ppi you are going
to print the images at.

SPIKE TAKES A DIP ! Annika1980 Digital Photography 1 08-24-2006 02:50 AM
[Dip Slime] Please check your headers BEFORE you post... Tech Zero Computer Support 0 12-24-2004 08:26 AM
Traffic Dip? Robert Klemme Ruby 9 09-12-2004 09:43 PM
Motherboad dip-switch help? s1mple_M4N NZ Computing 1 05-31-2004 11:13 PM

Advertisments