Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How can i get windows (xp or 98) on a laptop with no cd-rom or floppy and a blank hard drive

How can i get windows (xp or 98) on a laptop with no cd-rom or floppy and a blank hard drive

Anon

I have an old Sony Vaio that i'm trying to get up and running. It
came with no internal cd or floppy drives. i tried using an external
cdrom drive and loading from an external hard drive but it will not
boot from the USB devices. also, i have a converter to plug the
hard drive into my desktop so i tried formatting the drive and
installing boot files, but after the format the drive is coming up as
a 1.25gb hard drive rather than the 40gb drive that it is. any
suggestions for getting an operating system up and running or getting
the full capacity back on the hard drive would be much appreciated.
thanks!

-Justin

ded

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have an old Sony Vaio that i'm trying to get up and running. It
> came with no internal cd or floppy drives. i tried using an external
> cdrom drive and loading from an external hard drive but it will not
> boot from the USB devices. also, i have a converter to plug the
> hard drive into my desktop so i tried formatting the drive and
> installing boot files, but after the format the drive is coming up as
> a 1.25gb hard drive rather than the 40gb drive that it is. any
> suggestions for getting an operating system up and running or getting
> the full capacity back on the hard drive would be much appreciated.
> thanks!
>
> -Justin

To boot from a USB device, floppy or CD, you have to enter BIOS
and configure so as it detects USB devices. As it's a laptop that
maybe disabled.
To boot into BIOS setup menu, try key "DEL" or "F2"
Different menus for different BIOS but what you will be looking for
is USB support and entries, a laptop may, but probably not, have
USB keyboard support for connecting external KBD, look through
sub menus, you are looking to enable "Legacy USB" - legacy refers
to older external devices such as floppy, but will accomadate a USB
CD drive.
If found, enable it. Then you have to set the boot order so that the USB
CD drive is first in the boot order. You will have to rummage around
the BIOS menu's to find the option, "boot order" maybe under "Advanced"
I would be confident that Sony would have a download detailing the BIOS
for that laptop or any of their PC's etc. Try the Sony support site for
your location.

What "convertor plug" did you use to connect HD to your desktop?
What command did you perfrom to format?

If you get the laptops BIOS to recognise and enable a USB CD drive,
Just install your 98 disk and boot from that then you can perform
a format of the laptops HD from that.

Ben Myers

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I have an old Sony Vaio that i'm trying to get up and running. It
> came with no internal cd or floppy drives. i tried using an external
> cdrom drive and loading from an external hard drive but it will not
> boot from the USB devices. also, i have a converter to plug the
> hard drive into my desktop so i tried formatting the drive and
> installing boot files, but after the format the drive is coming up as
> a 1.25gb hard drive rather than the 40gb drive that it is. any
> suggestions for getting an operating system up and running or getting
> the full capacity back on the hard drive would be much appreciated.
> thanks!

Put the drive back into the desktop and use a partitioning tool like fdisk
to confirm that the partition or partitions are as desired. If not, change
them. Once that is done, copy the setup files to the drive, put it back
into the Sony and run Windows setup.

Ben