Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What camera will allow remote framing/focusing?

What camera will allow remote framing/focusing?

spectator

Is this a tricky one or a simple one?
Don't want to carry a ladder. But would like to make shots from
elevated positions.
I would like to mount an image stabilized digital camera on a monopod
(or pole) run an umbilical to an eye-level monitor and trigger the
shot that looks right with the IR transmitter that ships with many
digital cameras (i.e. with the Canon G5).

Do such kits or components exist? Any info (brands, models #s) would
be appreciated.

just bob

Newer Canon DSLR models with Live View, like the 1D Mark III and coming
soon the 40D and the 1Ds Mark III, will let frame and focus when connected
to a computer with a USB cable.. I'm sure there are others but those of the
ones I know.

-Bob

"spectator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Is this a tricky one or a simple one?
> Don't want to carry a ladder. But would like to make shots from
> elevated positions.
> I would like to mount an image stabilized digital camera on a monopod
> (or pole) run an umbilical to an eye-level monitor and trigger the
> shot that looks right with the IR transmitter that ships with many
> digital cameras (i.e. with the Canon G5).
>
> Do such kits or components exist? Any info (brands, models #s) would
> be appreciated.

In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
> Is this a tricky one or a simple one?
> Don't want to carry a ladder. But would like to make shots from
> elevated positions.
> I would like to mount an image stabilized digital camera on a monopod
> (or pole) run an umbilical to an eye-level monitor and trigger the
> shot that looks right with the IR transmitter that ships with many
> digital cameras (i.e. with the Canon G5).

Google "pole aerial photography" -- there are many options available for
this these days, it's used a lot for real estate photography. Poles
range from basic hand-held units to trailer-mounted winch-up masts 100
feet tall.

With some cameras you can run live preview on a laptop and control all
the camera's functions. Others use external remote control devices,
separate monitors, etc.

Myself, I still use an ancient Prinz radio remote that screws into the
mechanical cable release socket. Works just as well on my IS-1 as it
did my OM-1.

--
(E-Mail Removed) is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>