Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > compact cameras with large sensors?

compact cameras with large sensors?

reto.hadorn@sidos.unine.ch

Hello,
Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
other compact camera better ?
Thanks for your help!
Reto

aniramca@gmail.com

On Aug 21, 6:36 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> other compact camera better ?
> Thanks for your help!
> Reto

Sony R1, but it is not compact.

Dave Cohen

> Hello,
> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> other compact camera better ?
> Thanks for your help!
> Reto

I'm confused with the way they measure these things. I can't find the
actual dimensions, but canon site quotes 1/1.8 for both G7 and my A95.
New A650IS (which looks very nice) is 1/1.7. I assume these are all
about the same size but I wish they would just give a size as you have
done. The A650 IS has everything I would want except I think 12mp is
overkill.
Dave Cohen

aniramca@gmail.com

On Aug 21, 9:41 am, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> > other compact camera better ?
> > Thanks for your help!
> > Reto

> I'm confused with the way they measure these things. I can't find the
> actual dimensions, but canon site quotes 1/1.8 for both G7 and my A95.
> New A650IS (which looks very nice) is 1/1.7. I assume these are all
> about the same size but I wish they would just give a size as you have
> done. The A650 IS has everything I would want except I think 12mp is
> overkill.
> Dave Cohen

I completely agree with you. Why don't they say the dimension (either
in mm or in.) for the sensor. This 1/1.8, 4/3, etc convention is
really confusing. I usually visit the dpreview website to find out the
equivalent size in mm. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor+sizes
However, some other sites sometimes provide different dimensions, and
I don't know which one is correct (without going in depth to find out
how this sizing is measured, etc., etc).
dpreview indicated Canon G7 having sensor size 1/1.8" (7.18x5.32mm).
But in other section (shown above), 1/1.8" is equivalent to 8.9x7.2mm.
I don't know which is correct.
Other sizes from dpreview
Nikon D40x - 23.7x15.6, Canon 5D - 36x24 (full size), Sony R1 -
21.5x14.4, Canon S5IS - 1/2.5" (7.2x5..

Alex Monro

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Hello,
> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> other compact camera better ?

Fuji make some compacts and ultrazooms with slightly larger than average
sensors. The F30, F31, F20 and S6000 / S6500 have a 1/1.7" sensor, and
the S9100 / S9600 has a 1/1.6" sensor.

Stephen.SC.Lai@gmail.com

On Aug 21, 7:36 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> other compact camera better ?
> Thanks for your help!
> Reto

Sigma has a vapourware camera called DP1, which uses an APS-C sensor
(20.7 x 13.8mm). It is quite basic, and has a 28mm-equivalent lens,
albeit with quite a small max aperture (f4). Some claims that it will
retail at £600.

http://www.sigma-dp1.com

Alfred Molon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
says...
> Hello,
> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> other compact camera better ?

Olympus E410 with the 14-42 lens. Currently the smallest and most
lightweight DSLR on the market and it even has live preview.
--

Alfred Molon

Allen

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Aug 21, 9:41 am, Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
>>> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
>>> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
>>> other compact camera better ?
>>> Thanks for your help!
>>> Reto

>> I'm confused with the way they measure these things. I can't find the
>> actual dimensions, but canon site quotes 1/1.8 for both G7 and my A95.
>> New A650IS (which looks very nice) is 1/1.7. I assume these are all
>> about the same size but I wish they would just give a size as you have
>> done. The A650 IS has everything I would want except I think 12mp is
>> overkill.
>> Dave Cohen

> I completely agree with you. Why don't they say the dimension (either
> in mm or in.) for the sensor. This 1/1.8, 4/3, etc convention is
> really confusing. I usually visit the dpreview website to find out the
> equivalent size in mm. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor+sizes
> However, some other sites sometimes provide different dimensions, and
> I don't know which one is correct (without going in depth to find out
> how this sizing is measured, etc., etc).
> dpreview indicated Canon G7 having sensor size 1/1.8" (7.18x5.32mm).
> But in other section (shown above), 1/1.8" is equivalent to 8.9x7.2mm.
> I don't know which is correct.
> Other sizes from dpreview
> Nikon D40x - 23.7x15.6, Canon 5D - 36x24 (full size), Sony R1 -
> 21.5x14.4, Canon S5IS - 1/2.5" (7.2x5..

I also vote for real size numbers.
Allen

reto.hadorn@sidos.unine.ch

On 21 août, 13:36, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> other compact camera better ?
> Thanks for your help!
> Reto

Thank you all for your help.

I fully support the idea, that masses should be given in sensible
units. The 1/1.8" and the like are an extention of the habit of
measuring computer screens by the diagonal. This works as long as the
number > 1. For numbers < 1, decimals would be more understandable.

Now, I sensor quality depends a lot on pixel size, as I was said, then
camera buildes should provide information about it, straight away. The
1/1.8 thing is a kind of non-sense information. The length of the
sides in mm would at least allow for a computation of pixel size
without calling on Pytagoras.

Regarding the cameras, the Sigma DP1 comes closest to my view of a
quality compact camera. To comments, yet:
- Altough I liked very much to work with my 28mm lens of my analogue
camera, I would hardly buy a camera, which offers that only focal
length
- Sigma is misleading buyers with its 14 Mb sensor, since it will
hardly have a better resolution than a 4.5 Mb sensor in the classic
sensor technology; this being said, a 4.5 Mb gives good results for
everyday pictures.
Actually, my Canon G3 with big pixels and a good reaction time would
fulfill my needs. Or the S5 IS with bigger pixels, the G9 with bigger
pixels: short, all those good cameras unfortunately put the accent on
(mostly unnecessary) pixel numbers instead of pixe size.

Reto

Kalinka

On 22 Aug, 09:56, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On 21 août, 13:36, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
> > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
> > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
> > other compact camera better ?
> > Thanks for your help!
> > Reto

> Thank you all for your help.
>
> I fully support the idea, that masses should be given in sensible
> units. The 1/1.8" and the like are an extention of the habit of
> measuring computer screens by the diagonal. This works as long as the
> number > 1. For numbers < 1, decimals would be more understandable.
>
> Now, I sensor quality depends a lot on pixel size, as I was said, then
> camera buildes should provide information about it, straight away. The
> 1/1.8 thing is a kind of non-sense information. The length of the
> sides in mm would at least allow for a computation of pixel size
> without calling on Pytagoras.
>
> Regarding the cameras, the Sigma DP1 comes closest to my view of a
> quality compact camera. To comments, yet:
> - Altough I liked very much to work with my 28mm lens of my analogue
> camera, I would hardly buy a camera, which offers that only focal
> length
> - Sigma is misleading buyers with its 14 Mb sensor, since it will
> hardly have a better resolution than a 4.5 Mb sensor in the classic
> sensor technology; this being said, a 4.5 Mb gives good results for
> everyday pictures.
> Actually, my Canon G3 with big pixels and a good reaction time would
> fulfill my needs. Or the S5 IS with bigger pixels, the G9 with bigger
> pixels: short, all those good cameras unfortunately put the accent on
> (mostly unnecessary) pixel numbers instead of pixe size.
>
> Reto

indeed, imperial measurements are a waste of time